Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of curved grooming shears. I can save $20-$30 by buying a set of three (curved, straight and thinning) for about $300, but do I reallyneed thinning shears? My cost will be about $220-240 If I purchase the curved and straight separately. I really don't want to buy something I don't need.

Could someone tell what, if anything, I'd use the thinning shears for - maybe ears? I'm looking on Amazon. Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have thinning shears, I use them on our Yorkie for blending around the face and the feathers on her legs. They don't do much for Annie, I did try a few snips once to see what they would do and didn't find them useful at all. They smooth the cutting lines on straight haired dogs/terriers but I have heard they can cause matting on poodles as they mean that some hairs are shorter than others. Some of the Yorkie videos I watch refer to them as a groomers eraser. I don't use them on Annie and I dont think I have ever seen a poodle grooming video that does.

·
Registered
732 Posts
$300 seems awfully expensive to me for a set of home grooming shears (highest I would go is $80 for a set of three), but maybe that's just the cheap college student kicking in. I've seen them used for blending coats, although I've never used them myself.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
$300 seems awfully expensive to me for a set of home grooming shears (highest I would go is $80 for a set of three), but maybe that's just the cheap college student kicking in. I've seen them used for blending coats, although I've never used them myself.
Good shears are expensive. Better to buy good quality if you can afford it because it makes a huge difference. Basic good shears start at around $75 a piece.

I agree straights and curves are all you need. I almost exclusively use my curves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Raindrops decent shears start at least about 70$. I've been grooming my own poodles for almost a year now. I bought a cheap pair of curved shears on Amazon for about $45. Then I purchased straight Geib Gators for about $75 (?) I think the quality is worth it.

After a year of grooming my 2 large standards, I'm beginning to set how thinning shears are very useful. They do help hide mistakes. Esp for someone like myself who is new and makes a lot of them! I also find them helpful for very stubborn mats (like behind the ears). You can snip into the mat a couple of times with the thinning shears and it's much easier to brush/comb that little knot out.

If you see yourself grooming from home on a regular basis, and you can afford the cost, I think buying the bundle is a solid idea. If you find you don't use the thinning shears you can always sell them on Craigslist, etc. Lightly used shears are very hard to find!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've learned from my mistakes in buying cheap grooming tools. Raindrops recommended the Kenchii Five Stars which I have pretty much decided on. A pair of 8" lefty curved and straights sell for about$120 per. I'll shop around for a better deal but I expect to pay around $100. I'm going to pass on the thinning shears. Thank you to everybody for the great advice.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Save your money, don't buy thinning shears - they can cause matting in poodles. Spend what you might have saved on buying good quality shears.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Like Raindrops, I use curved shears almost exclusively though I also have straight. Recently I’ve been thinking about adding ball-tipped face shears. I keep Navy in a donut mustache and for some close face work on him I would be happier with something safer.

The thinning shears are ok if you think you’ll ever groom non poodles. Once you get good at grooming your poodle, family and friends might begin to hit you up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts