Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a suggestion on another thread to list ways we appreciate our dogs, and i thought it was a good one. I have a habit of focusing on bad stuff, and forgetting the good.

So here - lets link a few behaviours that drive you wild, with things that you love about your dog,

Hopefully next time a day of "OMG you are so annoying" comes up, i will remember the good as well as the bad :)

I'll start:

Even though i am embarrassed when Annie does wild and crazy zoomies when she is overwhelmed, i love how i can take her pretty much anywhere, and expect she will behave well.

Even though Annie is a lot of work on days when i am tired, i appreciate that she makes me get up and get moving every day.

Even though she may get bored after a few repetitions, i love how Annie is always ready and eager to learn and do new things with me.

Even though i get annoyed with her excited barking at people, squirrels, and dogs, i love how politely she usually interacts with them when we meet (ok, maybe not the squirrels).

What are your poodle frustrations? What does your poodle do that makes it all worth it?

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
I find Poppy's frantic searching for food frustrating, especially now she has discovered a neighbour's food waste bin. But her love of food makes giving her all the necessary medicines a pleasure for both of us, and I never have to worry about her not getting enough calories and protein to keep her liver just about functioning.

And when she is up and down every hour of the day needing to go outside, or is up during the night with a dodgy tum (partly due to the scavenging), or goes wild because the postman is here or the window cleaner's brush is banging at the window, or dashes off in pursuit of a neighbouring cat, I remember how desperately ill she was at the beginning of the year, and rejoice that she still has the self control to tell me when she needs to go out, and the energy and joie de vie to be annoying!

·
Registered
580 Posts
What a good idea!

Violet’s teenager energy can be a lot to manage, but I love that she has a playful spirit and can be motivated by toy play.

I wish she would be less pushy with my two senior male dogs, but I’m glad for the opportunity to learn how to train/manage my doggy household. I am so thankful that they all like each other, and that she and Navy play together every day. She is keeping him young and in better shape

Sometimes I feel disappointed that she is harder to train than my aussie (since passed), but she is a different type of dog with a completely different personality. She is more charming, sheds less, and cuddles more. I realize that it is mostly a case of my having to learn more dog training skills, and the responsibility lies with me.

I wish I had never allowed Navy to sleep with me because he wakes me up on average 3x a night. However, it is great to cuddle with him and I know it means so much to him. I just ordered bedside stairs so I can (hopefully!) train him to take care of his own up/down needs. Wish me luck on not breaking my toe on them when taking care of my own night time needs...

There are many more.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I find Merlin’s anxiety really hard to handle. Having a dog who runs away every time you move can get a little frustrating to say the least.

On the other hand, he is so loving and so obedient. He wants to please me so much, he tries to do what I want even when I don’t directly ask him. He loves being touched, groomed and brushed so much he will almost fall asleep. He is such a good boy !

Beckie is a nightmare on a walk : screaming, doing saltos, almost choking from her tantrum. She is the total embarrassment; she makes me look like the idiot owner who doesn’t know what they’re doing. She is also an avid barker but fortunately she listens when told to stop.

But that’s only a small inconvenient. She is my sunshine, always happy, being silly and making me laugh. She is sweet, loves her massage (she asks for it) and loves being on my lap all year round except in summer (too hot).

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I am sad that I didn't work more to curb Mia's prey drive when she was younger. We spend so much time in the woods where she's free to chase deer and squirrels, but from time to time it's a person she sets her sights on, leading to challenging encounters. She has never hurt anyone, but it's scary for all the humans involved. Mia has a grand ole time.

I love how, as she ages, we have more quiet moments. There's something about how she checks in with me on leashed walks that just warms my heart. Perhaps it's because on leashed walks we're side by side and headed in the same direction that her brief looks and relaxed face are so poignant to me.

At some point during the day she'll grab a toy and coyly entice me into a game of chase, which as she gets older becomes the slower and shorter. We play within a 5' radius of one of her dog beds and then crash on the bed together for a game of tug and some pets. It's a lifetime away from the way she played when she was younger and would spring over the couch and circle three rooms before you knew she had left.

There are some things she does that I don't know if they're intentional. The other day I woke up early, fretting about work. Mia rolled over in bed so that her back grazed my leg and it was so calming and centering, bringing me back to the present. Did she do that on purpose? She's hardly the therapy dog type, but she certainly knows how to communicate with me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love this idea! I wish I had taken videos of Ziggy's first month home to remind me of how far he has come. He was under socialized, terrified to be touched, scared of other dogs, stairs, would pancake and tremble on the city sidewalk. After 4 months I am so proud of how relaxed he is at home, how much he loves meeting new people and dogs, and how confident he is on walks (although still skitish after dark).

It can be easy to forget this and get frustrated now when he lunges at the leash and jumps when he sees a dog he wants to play with. This morning I was frustrated because he kept jumping on my roommate and zooming trying to get us to play.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to take a moment to appreciate the fact that he wants to play now!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, Mr. Layne is my first SPOO & the easiest pup I've ever raised but he's a boy & still with puppy tendencies. When he truly goofs he's got the most adorable 'oops, did I do that" face.

He loved to pester all the lady dogs in the house but because of this he leaned "leave it" super fast. As the lone male dog in a house of females, he also knows "no butts" meaning nose away from her backside but visitors think it means 'no buts' as if he's arguing with me. We have laughed so much over this.

Mr. Layne is squirrel crazy. He's the WORST squirrel hunter in the universe because he stays at the base of the tree while the squirrel is on the ground behind him watching him bounce. LOL. He was a horrible dog with chickens but is in recovery And this gives us a sense of great accomplishment.

The beauty of living with highly intelligent dogs is that their learning capacity is tremendous. His impulsive puppy zoomie sometimes drive me nuts but of late I'll say, "Boy-" & before I say more he gets in his crate. I get the big adorable eyes. And he's in the crate. He can't be in trouble in there . Oh I love him. Brat. I've turned this into a sort of testing ground. "Alright son, you can come out when you can be good" & I close the crate. He waits maybe a minute. Then noses the door open. He comes out & looks at me. I say, "can you be goid?" on occassion he will load back up. Sometimes he will behave but then puppiness grabs him & I'll say "NOPE"... in he goes, I close door. If one of my girls gets crabby with him he loads up in the crate. At first it was annoying now I smile on the inside. Once he is back to 'good boy" he will remind me that he would not object to a cookie in his dog bowl

This is the evolution of ARUGH to GOOD Mr. Layne

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts