Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started doing some trick training with saleen to keep her thinking even when I don't feel like doing some of the more formal training. I also want to keep her intersted and the new tricks keep things new and fun :)

I am teaching her to jump though a hula hoop. She's getting pretty good at it now, though big goofy puppy that she is she still doesn't have awareness of her feet lol. A lot of the time she kind of falls through the hoop because she doesnt pick those big huge paws of hers up. Working on that though.

I debated started using the work "Tire" which I picked up from the agility classes I used to hlep teach (blah what a horrid time that was!!). Since I was toying with the idea of doing agility with Beanie I though tire would be ok. I often forget it though and my blonde brain just doesn't take "tire" and associate it with a hula hoop. So I switched and started saying " hoop" and have been using that with sucess. Now hubby is making fun of me and says it sounds like I'm running around the backyard saying "salen poop, poop!" Jerk.

I'm sick of hearing it lol so I need a new word, we're still early enough in the training that a switch will be no big thing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
546 Posts
You should use German commands, "Sprung" = "Jump" or "Hoop" = "Reifen" or pick any other language that you may know... :)
I speak with Snoops in Chinese.. it cracks me up!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Compliments of thesaurus.com lol here are some ideas:

HOOP:
Synonyms: band, circle, circlet, loop

THROUGH:
Synonyms: buttoned up, complete, completed, concluded, ended, finis, finished, in the bag*, over, terminated, wound up, wrapped up

RING:
Synonyms: arena, band, brim, circlet, circuit, circus, enclosure, eye, girdle, halo, hoop, loop, ringlet, rink, round

There are dozens more lol, but I hope these helped lol!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Like Mandycasey's mom, I just use through for anything they have to go through, walk on for dog walks and A frames and over for jumping. When doing tricks, it's really difficult to find the correct word, because later on you might want to do a trick that is better suited to the word you have already used. I have just started heal work to music (or doggy dancing as I like to call it). Inca is used to the word weave for going through the agility weaves, so I've had to find a word for weaving through legs. I chose LEGS but you can bet that sooner or later I will want that command for something else.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the word "Legs" for weaving through legs as well.... or at least I try to. Saleen doesnt get that one, she just sort of stands there and wants to target or laydown or anything else she can think of. The lightbulb hasn't gone off yet for that one lol.

I might just use my cue for jumping though at the moment that one too is under question. I use to use more of a huppp sound not really an actualy word, then for some unknown reason I switched to "over" when I was training Howie for the higher levels of formal obedience. I might go back?? We shall see... :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wonderpup, this is how my doggy dancing teacher says to weave/legs:

• put treats in both hands
  • stand with dog at your side
  • step forward with leg furthest away from dog and throw treat on ground with hand on that side
  • after dog goes through for treat, withdraw leg and bring other leg forward
  • throw treat with hand on same side as leg
This way you are rewarding the dog for going through your legs, not luring it through. Keep this up until the dog is going straight through regularly, then you can start to walk.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup, thats how I've done it, she wants to go around me to get the treat. Then she won't get it because we've been working so hard on "Leave it" with food on the ground. So she goes around (lol) and then looks at the treat and then wants to target. So I switched to a lure and thats when we got targeting plus laying down... ?? She'll get it, it's taken a couple of week for her to realize what I want with "shake". It dawned on her this afternoon though, which is good :)

I'm finding that she is the kind of dog that if she doesn't get it right away that I shold leave it alone for a couple of days go back once or twice and if I still don't have luck drop it for about a week. By the time I try again, I usualy make progress, like what happened with "Shake" today.

Saleen might be kind of on the tall side, and being short my legs are real long (much to my hubby's disapointment lol), so I might be better off leaving the weaving in and out of legs to the little dogs.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I stand corrected. I did a second training session with Saleen today and wouldn't you know it, "legs" suddenly made sense. Of course mommy wasn't prepared for that sudden revelation on saleen's part and was already stepping forward to give up and work on something else. I ended up on my @$$ ROFL... Dang dog!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts