Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So many of you know I'm considering a Standard in a year-ish.

I've been thinking on and off that I might like to try an organized dog "activity" with my dog. My impression is that agility requires a lot of pricey equipment, plus I'd have to go off my property to have the room to do it, AND we have snow 5 months of the year. So maybe not a great fit for someone who is "trying it out."

Does Rally-O sound like it might be more my cup of tea? (inexpensive to start, can practice indoors during winter, good sport for a novice?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Obedience! I trained all the way through Open in my own yard. I used two tiki torches and a piece of cardboard for jumps.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Agility is great, but yes it's hard without a good near-by club and/or equipment. It's fun to play about with though if you CAN get to a club nearby!!

But yessss, obedience and rally are fun and can be taught in your own backyard or living room. Also heel-work to music could be fun too! Rally is probably more 'novice friendly' because the signs basically tell you what to do and make it a lot easier, but the more formal obedience is a lot of fun too IMO!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never heard of heelwork to music, but I did see a thread with something like that so I guess I'll look it up. Oh how I love the internet...

I checked, and the local dog training club has Rally training classes as well as Agility and formal Obedience. I think I'm going to try to observe some rally & obedience matches, or a training session to see if it's a good fit for what I think I'd like to do.

Out of curiosity, how much time do people generally practice each day with their dogs? (I'm sure you can devote tons of time, but is something like practicing for 15 minutes a day a realistic amount for a complete beginner?) I'm not super-competitive, but I think I might enjoy attending focused classes and having some structured projects to do with my dog, with the goal of entering a match.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
well here's the winning crufts performance of heelwork to music:
it looks like a lot of fun!!! It's basically lots of tricks all strung together to music... hehe!

And sure, 15 mins a day is great. Or even 3 seperate training sessions of 5 mins would be awesome, especially for a puppy. A lot of the things you can work into your everyday life too, like a sit stay before being released for food (a few seconds, building up...) Sit before getting into the car or going out the door or crossing the street...

My training is generally done at work, between clients. lol! It can be a few mins long, or 10 mins long, but rarely lasts much longer. Generally lots of little sessions works a lot better than one long session!

·
Registered
593 Posts
My dogs do obedience, rally and agility although our main focus is agility..and we live in a condo..I am lucky enough that our club has an enclosed horse arena that we have access to any time classes aren't going on...and there are things you can work on at home without needing much equipment or space..since your club had the equipment I might see if you are able to use it outside of classes...

we often train using the 10 treat rule or the commerical rule..take ten treats and when they are gone training session is over..or train during the commericials while watching tv...we often tell our students 3 5 minute sessions are better than 1 15 minute session.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so this is all good news for me. I can definitely see a "couple of minutes at a time throughout the day" fitting into my lifestyle.

Cool! Thanks for the feedback, guys!

·
Registered
440 Posts
wow- that performance was pretty awesome!
ocsi and I just had our first workshop on canine freestyle- I think we're really boring! LOL but the real competitors said we were doing well and had a good start (such nice folks) :)

http://www.facebook.com/v/696099439207

oh and I should say we did NOT pick out that music- I was expecting a beach boys song!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
OMG, i was there! Tell me he wasnt the little black poodle i saw around 5:30pm in the "beginers" group with the silver standard??!! They did some small patterns. I was in the "bleachers" for that.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
That Crufts freestyle routine is great! I have to admit, I don't love always love freestyle, but that routine really was impressive.

·
Registered
440 Posts
OMG, i was there! Tell me he wasnt the little black poodle i saw around 5:30pm in the "beginers" group with the silver standard??!! They did some small patterns. I was in the "bleachers" for that.
that was us! :)
did you see him roll over onto his back in the middle of the floor? he was sooo tired! he was supposed to roll over but had to take a break half way through!

we got there around 1pm and spent 2 hours shaking hands and kissing babies :D then took the 3 hour workshop, so you can only imagine how exhausted he was!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes i saw that! He was very cute! It briefly crossed my mind that it might be you guys when i was watching. It was a long day for him im sure! How funny we were both there and didnt know it!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It was hard to see some of the things, but it looked like Osci had a great time with it. Thanks for sharing with us!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts