Poodle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello dear forum
my poodle (dwarf, bitch 15 months) has always had rather thin fur. But I think it has become even thinner recently. It's not very heavy but you can sometimes see the skin shining through. Is this normal? Here are a few photos.

Kind regards
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Feather Companion dog

back leg

Dog breed Carnivore Dog Snout Tail

body

·
Premium Member
15,189 Posts
Has she been unwell? On any drugs? Has she been spayed? There are a number of conditions and drugs that can cause the coat to thin - steroids in particular can cause hair loss, and one PF poodle lost her hair due to oestrogen linked alopecia but recovered well after spaying. If you are concerned that it is getting worse I would talk to your vet, but some dogs, especially the smaller varieties of poodle, just have a softer, thinner coat than the poodle ideal.

Reactions: Heartland2022

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe has been biting at it? Depending on the shampoo used and conditioner. That's the first place I would look. I can't tell you how many poodles I have seen with hair loss due to skin reaction to bath products.

·
Registered
457 Posts
A friend of mine who was a groomer referred to Wally as very "hair challenged". He is my first poodle and when I realized he didn't have a proper coat I took him back to his vet to see if there was a cause. I would start there. In Wally's case, the vet said that was just "his normal". He, unfortunately, had other signs of bad breeding (not to insinuate that yours does) that I was already aware of, roached back, low set tail, high set ears, etc. Some poodles just have thinner coats. I would definitely have her vet checked like fjm mentioned to make sure there's not an underlying cause.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, I will keep an eye on it. I don't think it comes from the shampoo, we rarely bathe them and have always used the same shampoo.
Maybe it's just the way her coat is

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I really like this K9 shampoo. *note I have no affiliation.
While it is pricey, it does last a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts