Poodle Forum banner

They grow so fast

16K views 243 replies 21 participants last post by  PhoebeDuck 
#1 ·
He turns 5 months in a couple of weeks. Sometimes I get frustrated with his rambunctious puppy energy but I know he's just a puppy with a puppy brain lol
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

See less See more
#39 ·
He's all shaggy for winter.

I purchased leg guards for him for snow balls and mud since where I live..weather is all over the place. One week we have a winter storm..the next we are in plus celcius wherein it's all muddy and wet. Naturally his legs track everything into the home. I got him high quality shoes which he tolerate and now I'm waiting for the leg covers to arrive. The leg guards are from Pants for Dogs. It's just such a nuisance to have to wash muddy legs every day. We always wipe his feet when he comes in but his legs are now tracking too much outdoor soil.

#41 ·
He's very much a dude..such a silly goofy Confident dog that can be very demanding when he wants something. But he does know when to chill out inside which I like so he's not hyper indoors.
He will be 10 months in a week.
The one issue we have is he gets so rough during fetch and he starts jumping on me..and pulling my hood from the back(ripped my coat)..basically he likes rough play. I really don't like this. He stopped for some time but now he's at it again ughh...so I need to continue training him because he can get very mischievous and misbehave outdoors.

#42 · (Edited)
Here he is making himself comfy on his chair of choice which also happens to be the fav chair of our bengal cat lol. He sometimes gets on the couch and sits there calmly like he's a human being.
Here he is ..sitting and giving the look that says
" why is nobody paying attention to me and when do we get to play Fetch". Stern expression. He loves his fetch.
Dog Window Toy Carnivore Comfort

#43 ·
Which leads me to last week when I let him out alone in the yard. Usually we play/train for half hour in yard..in addition to his walks..but I was cooking for holiday gathering.
He will go out alone and will usually steal firewood to chew(ughh) before he's back at the door in minutes barking " come play". So I let him out so he could do his business and run around in the snow which he loves to do..but he ended up biting off 3 feet of cable from our led string lights. Ughh. Guess you can't leave things around for them because poodles are social and get destructive if left alone.
Snow Dog Fence Carnivore Water dog
k

#48 · (Edited)
So I purchased these from Pants for dogs.
Package is coming from the States and has been shipped. There is a lady here in Canada that sews them as well but right now she seems busy with life and taking mini break and I was impatient.

"Poodleit" sells them as well but they show as out of stock on the site.
Another lady by the name of Celtic K9 on Facebook sells them and she just got new material for the snow that's rip proof but I had already ordered these so it was too late.
I purchased them in black. These ones have two velcro straps ,which the other ones do not, and it makes these look kind of more feminine but if it saves me from having to wash down his legs..I'll deal lol

The snowballs and mud are just so annoying to deal with.

Gesture Working animal Fawn Grass Snout

Attachments

#50 ·
So the leg splash guards arrived and they work but the velcro elastic is too tight. I know it's supposed to be tight so the leg guards don't fall down but there really isn't any room for adjustment as the velcro part is very small..so Im disappointed. I'm going to alter it and buy a velcro strap that isn't elastic.
My boy tolerated it the first day but now when I put them on he undos the velcro with his teeth(literally unstraps it) so that's the poodle brain at work. He doesn't really like them so I will have to alter them..ehhh.

#51 · (Edited)
Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

And here is another pic of him from October 2022. He was in the guest room and jumped on the bed..even tho we have been teaching him that he's NOT ALLOWED on the bed.

Also..I have had people say he's mixed(he's not..I know the breeder and his ancestry) with a Golden because his snout looks wider but it only looks wider because I've never done a # 10 clean cut on his face. It may be hard to tell in the photo but even with short facial hair..he's sporting at least half an inch on his face and the sides of his face are sporting half an inch as well..so his snout may appear wider due to the length he is sporting. I don't particularly like a clean face on mine..altho I love it on black and silver Spoos. Just personal preference.

Here he is on the bed in guest room "challenging" the no dogs on bed rule.

#56 ·
And here he is begging me to come outside(I was cooking). He's like a cat lol..likes to see the world from a higher view..or he's emulating my my cat lol.
His grooming appointment is in 2 weeks and we will clip his body down to a quarter of an inch as he seems really hot in his current length. His adult coat is slowly coming in certain places but matting has been very minimal. I found some matting near private parts but overall he's doing well. His coat is alot denser and courser around the neck area on his spine so it's definitely adult coat coming in.
I will miss the fluff but not around the legs as everytime the wind touches it..he ends up looking so messy lol.
His face is overgrown but I wanted to try the Asian Fusion and the length gives room for error for my groomer that has never done this style before. We shall see how the groom turns out.

#58 · (Edited)
You are go shorter and it will look like velvet. My groomer does a quarter of an inch and you cant see any skin..it gives him a nice finish. Even half an inch would do.
Here is my boy with half an inch on legs and face(I put coconut oil on his facial hair so it looks shorter)and a quarter of an inch on the body. It was so smooth and shiny.
Dog Water dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed

#60 ·
It grows soooo fast. This was in October and now he basically has a two inch coat. Im clipping him down because he's wayyyyy too hot even tho it's Winter here..Poodles reallyyyyyyy love the cold.

There is this popular Alaskan Tic Toc account and they do this doggie bus gig..where they pick up dogs on a school bus and take them for walks. Anyway..on one of the coldest days..the Standard Poodle Dasher was the last dog to want to come inside. He just wanted to run around outside lol while majority of the dogs were done with the cold. They are like Huskys in their ability to tolerate the cold which is very interesting.
My boy def feels better with a shorter coat.

#61 ·
So I did his paws the other day..as best as I could. He really doesn't like me clipping his front paws because the first time I did them I accidently had the clipper set on #40(i have the 5 in 1) and I nicked him a couple times. Anyways..I noticed some matting between the toes..very important to clip these paws as they get wet and get snow balls and this leads to matting which is painful for the dog. I'll always be team clean feet.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Fawn

#63 ·
This is the current situation with his face. I believe he has a little over an inch on his face and the groomer will round out the muzzle in a couple weeks.
The key with growing out the face is learning how to trim around the lip area(so they aren't eating their hair) and trimming around the eye area. I like to use small blunt tipped scissors and take my time.
I also use my clipper to shave right between the eyes so that dog can see. I also shave and trim above the eyes so there is no hair falling in between eyes. Took some time to feel comfortable doing so but I go slow and it's obviously needed so the dog can see.
I really dislike seeing a teddy bear face with the eyesight obstructed and hair falling into the mouth..that's not the way to do it. It should look clean and tidy and be clipped around eyes and lips. If you can't do it.. the groomer can do it.
I see it too often with doodles and unfortunately some poodles.
Hair Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.