Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about rehoming Ginger. She's been with this older couple for one week they said that's all it would take in order keep her. 2 days after they had her they said they wanted to keep her and we went rounds with the "adoption contract" because she wanted things worded her way which was pretty much the same way I had them but she wanted added in that I'd groom her for free. I had offered to groom her to help her out but I didn't intend to groom her forever for free. So then this issue with the leash and I said that no you aren't going to keep her for 3 more weeks "trying her out" and then decide. So now she wants me to pick her up. I always thought that the older generation had more class than that. I guess not.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Please don't make this an age issue. Do not lump all a**holes together. My husband and I are senior citizens and believe me, if we make a deal of any kind with someone, we will stick with it, even on a handshake agreement. We have always been this way, up to and including costing us money to stand by any agreement we have made. Young or old doesn't matter, the person your dealing with does.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The persons you are dealing with are OUTRAGEOUS! They are looking for something for nothing. I'm sure Ginger doesn't need that kind of "love".

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please don't make this an age issue. Do not lump all a**holes together. My husband and I are senior citizens and believe me, if we make a deal of any kind with someone, we will stick with it, even on a handshake agreement. We have always been this way, up to and including costing us money to stand by any agreement we have made. Young or old doesn't matter, the person your dealing with does.
I'm sorry I posted that right after I heard from them to come and get her and was very upset and very angry. I expected more from them because they were an older retired couple. That's the type of people I was looking for for Ginger and she deserved to have her type of personality met with her owners. It's not "retired people" in general's fault. I didn't mean it like that. It was them and they are nutso. I sent them a contract for adoption and she started trying to make changes to it! Who does that??

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
KPoos, No problem, I can't stand people like that either. I'm sure you will find the right home for Ginger, maybe its a good thing she won't be with those nutsos. I can't believe that they thought that you should groom Ginger forever for free once they took her. They sounded like they thought that they were doing you this great favor by taking Ginger, when actually I feel that you were doing them one by letting them adopt her from you. Do you really think that they want you to pick Ginger up or could they be testing you to see if you'll change the contract to suite them? Have you gone to pick her up yet? Maybe siince this is their idea, you should make them bring her back, instead of having to go pick her up yourself, just a thought. Anyway, sorry you had to deal with these type of people. It takes all kinds to make up this silly world.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KPoos, No problem, I can't stand people like that either. I'm sure you will find the right home for Ginger, maybe its a good thing she won't be with those nutsos. I can't believe that they thought that you should groom Ginger forever for free once they took her. They sounded like they thought that they were doing you this great favor by taking Ginger, when actually I feel that you were doing them one by letting them adopt her from you. Do you really think that they want you to pick Ginger up or could they be testing you to see if you'll change the contract to suite them? Have you gone to pick her up yet? Maybe siince this is their idea, you should make them bring her back, instead of having to go pick her up yourself, just a thought. Anyway, sorry you had to deal with these type of people. It takes all kinds to make up this silly world.
No we went and picked her up. I figured that woman was nuts and if you saw the emails from her you'd know it. She seemed all nice and sweet at first and then when I brought a simple adoption contract that stated exactly what we talked about (me taking her back if there was some reason they couldn't keep her, etc.) her exact words were "we are so disappointed" because I asked if they had read the contract. So she countered my contract with one of her own! Can you believe that? Who does that? You don't get to go to a breeder and counter their contract. You accept it or you don't get to have one of their puppies. I was nice enough to allow her to feel vindicated and change a couple of things in the contract which basically remained the same and I said so. She had added in there that I was going to groom Ginger ever 4 weeks for free!!! I said um no I won't groom her that often I don't even do my own dog that often and after talking to a couple of my breeder friends they said do not allow them to take advantage of you like that and don't even groom for free at all. See when I was at their house she said she'd pay me something to groom her and I said no that's okay I'll do it as practice. I didn't think she'd take that as a liftetime of free grooming! Who would impose on another person like that? So when I came back with I'm not going to groom her forever, more like 6 months and you need to handle it on your own after that, her emails completely changed. She kept trying to get me over to her house and I kept refusing. Why did I need to go to her house? I went there the first time which was fine I needed to see how they lived but after that they needed to put forth some effort or call me if they needed to talk. Finally I had had enough of her back and forth and said look just tell me if there's something we need to discuss and she came out with the fact that Ginger wasn't trained to go to the bathroom on a leash. What in the world did these people think when I said "she's a kennel dog, used for breeding, lived in a kennel all her life?" I was very clear on that. Did they think I'd offer to train her to go potty for them? I mean did they want to work with their own dog at all? They seem to me like they want some robot dog that's a perfect little companion that they don't have to fuss with at all. I was told that I have poor people skills because I basically told them that I felt like I was being taken advantage of after she wanted to keep her for 3 more weeks and not pay me a dime. Yeah and then what after the law states that the animal belongs to you after 10 days period of time? I told my husband that I'm going to have to be like some of those really rude breeder people. Now I can see why they are like that. Dealing with that many nutty people will make you cold and upfront and sometimes rude to just get it all on the table and out of the way. I'm sick to death of dealing with crazies. These people aren't the first ones either.:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Glad Ginger is back with you and not with those kooks. Good luck in finding a forever home for her. Again, sorry that you had to deal with that couple. Believe me, the older you get, the longer you've been around, the more crazies you'll probably come in contact with, but theres still a lot of good people out there too.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad Ginger is back with you and not with those kooks. Good luck in finding a forever home for her. Again, sorry that you had to deal with that couple. Believe me, the older you get, the longer you've been around, the more crazies you'll probably come in contact with, but theres still a lot of good people out there too.
Thanks, I'm sure the right home will come along. I honestly thought they were it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well I hope she finds a home fast NO DOG EVER deserves to live in akennel all its life.
Dogs deserve to be pets, be love, be at our feet where they belong.
Sorry I can't stand to hear a dog is a kennel dog.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I hope she finds a home fast NO DOG EVER deserves to live in akennel all its life.
Dogs deserve to be pets, be love, be at our feet where they belong.
Sorry I can't stand to hear a dog is a kennel dog.
She's not a kennel dog with me. She was a kennel dog before I got her. Unfortunately it's a fact of life for many dogs even show dogs. They live their lives in kennels and not as pets. Here she lives with us but like I told them I didn't walk her because she wasn't the type that needed walks so I had no idea about the peeing or bowel movement issue.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am so glad to read that you are responsible and taking the dog back ! Hurray for you ! I wish more breeders would be like this. Not just poos either. There are lots of really great homes out there, you will find the perfect one just for her !

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm so glad you took her back. I think that her trying to negotiate a contract is strange. Any rescue or decent breeder has a contract. They have specifics in a contract for a reason, usually from a bad experience. Most any adult dog going into a new and strange environment is going to have an adjustment period. Expecting her to do everything their way is unreasonable.
I also think she is nuts expecting you to groom her for free for life. Take it as a learning experience!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She has sent me an email that said she thought that Ginger would learn she just needed more time. This woman is putting this on me as if I did something wrong by wanting to cash her check instead of letting her take her for nothing for 4 weeks and then wait patiently while she decided if this is what she wanted or not. Is she insane or something? I'd like to see her go to any organization at all that would do that. Even the local humane society doesn't do things like that. You don't get to "try out" dogs and then shuffle them around because they are perfection for you and not pay for them. I think she needs a stuffed animal or one of those robot dogs so she can have her perfect do that she doesn't have to put any effort into. I mean at least then she won't have to groom it herself or train it on her own.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Do I think she is taking advantage of you and the situation? Absolutely! I also think you should trust your gut about picking Ginger up. Do I think it's ridiculous to negotiate an adoption/puppy buyer contract? no Case in point: I'm uncomfortable w/ early spay/neuter. If I were interested in buying a puppy, w/ a spay/neuter contract that specified the pup must be neutered at or before 6 months, I would ask about postponing that. I would do it respectfully and accept whatever answer the breeder gave, but I would ask. I would also question any puppy contract that required a puppy to be returned for the health contract to be honored. Sometimes breeders have something written in a contract b/c it's the simplest and most enforcable wording, but they are willing to work with potential puppy buyers if asked. A contract is a meeting of the minds and should be something both sides can live with.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do I think she is taking advantage of you and the situation? Absolutely! I also think you should trust your gut about picking Ginger up. Do I think it's ridiculous to negotiate an adoption/puppy buyer contract? no Case in point: I'm uncomfortable w/ early spay/neuter. If I were interested in buying a puppy, w/ a spay/neuter contract that specified the pup must be neutered at or before 6 months, I would ask about postponing that. I would do it respectfully and accept whatever answer the breeder gave, but I would ask. I would also question any puppy contract that required a puppy to be returned for the health contract to be honored. Sometimes breeders have something written in a contract b/c it's the simplest and most enforcable wording, but they are willing to work with potential puppy buyers if asked. A contract is a meeting of the minds and should be something both sides can live with.
Well, yes I too disagree with early spay/neuter and would ask to have that revised if it was in a contract but this contract was very general. It was pretty much a similar contract that you'd find at any breed rescue maybe less intense. I didn't object to her changing things but she didn't change anything except to add that I'd groom her every month for free. That wasn't what I had said. I had said I'd be willing to help groom her, not take on the responsibility indefinitely and put it in a contract. I'm not stupid.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I with you, the woman sounds like a nut. Expecting you to groom the dog for free is unreasonable. I was addressing some of the other posts that seem to say you should never try to negotiate a contract.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I with you, the woman sounds like a nut. Expecting you to groom the dog for free is unreasonable. I was addressing some of the other posts that seem to say you should never try to negotiate a contract.
She said I got weird on her. No, what I got was annoyed with her and her demands on me and my time. She kept demanding I go to their house. She also sent me an email telling me this story of how she was allergic to a collie she had at one time and gave it to an older woman to make sure the dog was in a good home. She didn't get any money from the woman but money didn't matter to her so she didn't care.

Can you believe the nerve of that woman? You know I'm not even breaking even on the fee I'm asking to rehome Ginger. I'm not a bank, I can't just keep giving and giving. I paid money to get her out of the place she was in and I spent money on getting her fixed up at the vet's office. She just expects me to GIVE her away after all that. I am not in the habit of just taking hundreds of dollars and just throwing them into the wind. I can't afford that. My husband is the only one of us that works and we have young children.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, the lady is overly demanding and is not ready for a dog and has unreasonable expectations - that is obvious ...just silly notions LOL
You, as a responsible breeder you took the dog back - good breeders offer that as option always, and you did right thing - bravo for you . Please stay that way !!! You are doing that for a dog's well being and not as a favor for that lady or anybody, try to hold on that thought and do not let situation upset you that much. Easy to say, I know , but you did a right thing and should be proud of that :)

Some breeders do put addendum on their contract if request is reasonable or there is special circumstance involved. Even some rescue org. have "try out period" - there are some in my area that offer that !!!! They have wonderful results with that program since once dog is adopted after "try -out" it is usually than truly a perfect match and dog found a home for life. I am not saying that you should do such thing - I just offer this as an info. , that it does exist. Also, I know breeders who would take puppy back after 7 days for any reason and give full refund ! They know that sometimes there IS a mismatch in temperaments or first-time dog owners have no idea how much work it is involved with a puppy and they freak out. It is always better to take a pup back than let new owners re home themselves - they have no idea how to screen new owners and pup can easily end up in a puppy mill, god forbid : (((.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just wanted to point out that I'm not a breeder. I'm just a person that saw a dog that was a "breeder kennel dog" and felt like she wanted to rescue her and that's what I did. She is not the right temperament for us so I'm hanging onto her until I do find the right home. I thought they were it but you are right they probably really weren't ready to deal with a dog or they just wanted a free dog. I'm not opposed to allowing someone to try her out for temperament issues but 7 days is long enough. Not pushing it to 4 weeks you know?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rescuing and fostering is heartbreaking and expensive. It's often not a break-even deal. Bless you for helping to save a life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts