Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this morning I woke up and all I could smell was dog!! (they sleep in my room)It seems that the shorter their hair is, the more they smell - at least my guys. I noticed before they were groomed this last time, and their hair was longer, that they didn't seem to smell as much. I think that with the short coat, in cold weather anyway, they must produce some oils that cause them to smell! like dirty feet! ugh! time to spray and wash the beds! I can't wash the dogs though because of my darn shoulder. If I could get my daughter to hang around long enough (new boyfriend) I would get her to do it! Her minis are a mess! that's why no pix of them yet! :banghead:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks - will have to look for it - I wish I could spray fabreze on them ha ha (won't dot it lol)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
This may not be true for poodles but when we were showing terriers the breeder was very very specific about how they were washed. The wire texture is important to preserve after all. Anyway, aside from using only certain shampoos and washing only certain parts of the dog and at certain times she said to wash them in cool water. Supposedly the warmer water increases oil production and causes a smell? Dunno if it's really true or not, but my cairn DID smell shortly after a bath at a groomers, she said her water temp was preset to be warm all the time. Anyway it's a thought.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I never thought about it being related to the length of his coat, but every so often Sam gets that horrible smelly feet smell. He hasn't had it for awhile and his coat is a little on the longer side, so maybe there is a connection. I have been having a problem with Jenny that is wierd. I've given her 3 baths since we have had her and for about 2 days after each one she seems to get this really bad wet dog smell. If you smell her coat it smells good, like the shampoo, but when she is just lying near you, you smell the wet dog. At first I thought maybe she had gas but it only happens after her baths. I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
you sure it isn't her feet? Jazz has a horrid odor comming from her feet when we brought her home. It took me a couple of days to figure out what it was. Actualy the lady I work with figured it out. Anyway her coat would have no odor and neither would her ears but man, her feet were sooo stinky!! They stunk up my whole bedroom and my care and you would smell it if she had been laying next to you for a while.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Never thought to sniff her feet. LOL! I'll have to check into it next time. She got a bath on Mon. and she smelled till about Wed., but now she doesn't. What did you do to get rid of it?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
At first I used a skin remedy shampoo, I think it's a bark to basics shampoo but I'm not 100% on that. When that didn't work I started soaking her feet in apple cider viniger, half ACV, half water. That killed whatever was making her feet smell. They don't anymore... well most of the time they dont. I put this paw balm stuff on them now to try and soften up the pads a bit since it hurts when she paws us. I got the balm at target in the pet section and it actualy smells pretty good.
The odor was a very strong yeasty, musky, wet doggie, bleh gross smell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts