Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't like wobbly teeth. They make playing fetch and tug uncomfortable and my mouth all sore. MH says it is Hanging by a Thread but I can't feel any threads, just a tooth that won't stay where it should. And water is falling from the sky again so it is horrible outside. And breakfast was lovely - grown up breakfast just like Sophy's - but it was ages ago. I want my tooth to stop being wobbly so games are fun again...

Freddy xx

[Poor Fred - I know just how he feels. Training games with soft treats from the freezer until the weather improves, I think. fjm]

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Chicken pancakes are made from chicken, chicken stock, egg and flour and are Freddy's favourite thing in all the world! (So far...)

Reactions: Liz

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, the morning was a bit wet and boring but this afternoon was brilliant! We went in the car to where we often walk but just as we were getting out there were lots and lots of loud bangs and Sophy didn't like it so we got back in and went to something called The Park, which was much, much better. There were lots of interesting places to walk and sniff, and I met a dog a bit like me but bigger and we played chase for ages all over some lovely squidgy muddy grass and through muddy puddles. Then we went on and met lots more nice people and children and dogs. One dog was small and very white and fluffy and wearing a blue frilly frock but MH wouldn't let me play with her because she said I would make her all muddy. And when we got home I had a lovely splashy paddle in the sink in nice warm water, and got to see where the treat pot and all the scrummies live up on the benches, and then it was nearly time for tea (proper grown up tea like Sophy), and I found some parsnip MH dropped while she was cooking and she let me keep it to chew on and then Sophy played with me without getting cross so it turned into a really good day after all. But I am not sleepy, whatever MH says...

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Today was even better. I followed Sophy down the stairs while MH was waving her legs in the air, the way she does most mornings, so now I can do Down as well as Up. Then we went to a place called The Shore and it was even more brilliant than the Park! HUGE puddles, and ENORMOUS squidgy mud bits, and lots of nice dogs. One called Patch played chase with me for ages - he had a ball he said I was not to touch, but when he forgot about the ball he was very good at chase. And I remembered not to bounce at people and to come back for treats every now and then, so MH says I was very good. When we got home I had a paddle in the sink again, and some biscuits for lunch, and now it's time for a sleep because I did lots of running.

Freddy xx

[Thank heavens for friendly, energetic young dogs with nice owners! fjm]

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
This afternoon got very exciting because Amber came to my house with her humans! She is grown up but much smaller than me, and I think she should want to play but she says very loudly that she doesn't, and it can get very noisy. After a bit her big human picked her up out of reach, but her small human played with me and my toys and that was lovely. I like small humans - they are good at playing and I can reach to lick their ears even when they are standing up. There are two nearby who are just the right size - I wish we had one.

Freddy xxx

[Freddy is one of the few dogs I know who really like 3-year old children...! fjm]

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm discovering lots of things - some I sort of knew before, but didn't really understand them. My Human really likes it when I pee and poo outside, but pads are OK too. When it is outside better stuff happens, though. And if I run back to her when she calls my name and jumps up and down waving her arms I get treats. Treats happen quite a lot on walks if you keep an eye on your Human, it seems. And now that I can go downstairs as well as up it's suddenly much quieter and more boring when MH does her leg waving thing in the morning, because Sophy used to go down to the landing half way down the stairs where I couldn't reach her to try to make her play, then she would bark to try to hurry MH up, and I would bark to ask her to come back upstairs, and MH would bark too. Now Sophy jumps up on the bed with MH where it is too high for me and doesn't bark at all so I don't either, and neither does MH. MH thinks this is a Good Thing but I think it is Boring.

So lots to think about, and thinking is hard work and makes me sleepy.

Freddy xxx

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Guess what! This morning I didn't want to play tug because my mouth still felt funny but after breakfast I had a snooze and then we went outside and when we came back in I thought a game might be nice after all and my mouth had stopped feeling funny and we played tug and fetch and it was lovely! Then MH played Tooth Snuggles and said she thinks that both the teeth that needed to come out were gone, the wobbly one and the not wobbly one, and she found one on the rug, and that is a Good Thing. And I think it is, too, because now playing tug is fun again.

Freddy xxx

[He was a bit too wriggly to be absolutely sure, but it looks as if both deciduous canines are gone and he is much more comfortable. Another milestone hit on the button - 5 1/2 months. fjm]

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,821 Posts
That's when Elroy (Standard) lost his too. One day apart from one to the other. I guess mini's and Standards are on the same schedule!

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today has been very interesting and just a bit scary. First there was my mouth feeling better, which is a nice bit. Then when we went for a walk by the river there was a Monster digging a great big hole and I wanted to stay and help because I am very good at digging but Sophy said Monsters are Dangerous and the man looking after it stopped it digging and said she was probably right and I might fall into the hole, so we went home instead.

Then just after lunch I was in my pen having a snooze when a different kind of Monster came battering at the window trying to get in, which was not so nice. My Human was in the kitchen and couldn't see it, but Poppy did and was very, very brave - I did not know she could be that brave or move that fast. She jumped up on the back of the sofa and shouted at it to Go Away, but it went on trying to get in, and I shouted too, and Sophy joined in. Then MH came and took us all into the hall and said it wasn't dangerous and sang a song about Flappy Flappy Bang Bang until we were all calm and comfy again. But I think Poppy is right and it probably was a Monster.

And this afternoon we went to the vets and had treats and stood on the machine that says whether you are growing and we were all Perfect so we had more treats. And then we went for a lovely long walk somewhere different and met lots of dogs and people and I remembered about not bouncing unless they asked me and running back when MH called me and I was so good MH gave me Pancake! I love Pancake, so I watched her very carefully so I could get to her quickly every time she got the bag out. And on the way back Sophy played at pretend fighting and chase, and she hardly ever wants to play chase so that was a lovely bit. By the time we got home it was tea time, and MH said it was also snooze time, even though I was not a bit sleepy...

Freddy xx

[Out like a light 5 minutes after finishing his tea! fjm]

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am feeling very proud of myself. Today I went for a walk without any lead at all for the very first time - not even one trailing behind me. MH says I have got so good at the "Poppy come! Sophy come! Freddy come!" game now that I get Pancake that I can run off leash in the very safe places. I even remembered to run to her for treats when I was playing with Cindy, although that was easy because I had to get there quickly before Cindy ate them all - she is very big and very greedy. And when we got home I came in when MH asked me instead of staying outside to play with Harry who was out with his human. I do love Pancake!

Freddy xx

[Homemade chicken pancake is definitely the secret weapon, for now at least. fjm]

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,965 Posts
What do Poppy and Sophy think of these Pancake games, fjm?

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
[When Freddy gets pancake, everyone gets pancake - I try to keep life fair. Frequent reinforcement for things that are now second nature to them is their bonus for putting up with a puppy in the house, and means everyone stays happy. He did very well this afternoon with gradually escalating distractions - got the idea that we gather by the side of the path to Wait for Bicycles to go by and turned on a sixpence to run back from going to greet humans, but paused just long enough to touch noses with a nice dog before dashing back. fjm]

• Love
Reactions: Rose n Poos and Liz

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't understand humans. This morning we went for a walk and I didn't have a lead on and I was very, very good about running back every time MH called me, even when there were other dogs to play with. But then she called me and tried to put my lead on, which is not part of the game and I didn't want the lead, just the pancake, so I didn't let her. I can move much faster than she can! I don't think people should be allowed to change the rules suddenly without even asking.

Freddy xx

[Whoops! I had done some work on collar grabs, but I should have remembered that there is a big difference when it might be signalling time to go home! Lesson learned - more work needed. fjm]

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
We've been playing a new game. My Human calls "Freddy come!" and I dash to her and get a piece of pancake. Then she says "Freddy collar" and holds my harness for a moment and I get more pancake. It's really good, because I get lots of pancake then she lets go and I can run off to play. Sometimes she gets muddled trying to find a spare hand and nearly clonks me with the lead or a poo bag or the treat pot - best is when she dropped the treat pot and I got even more pancake! It's all very tiring, trying to remember all these new things, especially when there is so much running and sniffing and meeting and greeting to fit in as well - perhaps that is why everyone else gets so snoozy in the evenings when I want to play, and Sophy gets cross and tells MH to do Freddy Beddy! so she can have some peace and I go in my bed with a biscuit even though I'm not really tired at all and could go on playing for hours if they would let me ...

Freddy xx

[Peace, perfect peace... fjm]

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Pancake treats recipe

Cooked chicken breast (an ounce or two/30-50g), the unsalted chicken stock they were cooked in (say half a pint/250-300ml), a raw egg, enough flour of your choice to make it the consistency of runny cream. Puree the first three ingredients in a blender or with a stick blender, then add flour a little at a time to get the right consistency.

I use a one-egg non stick frying pan to make the pancakes. Make a hard roll of kitchen paper towel and put a dab of oil on it, then use it to very lightly oil the pan. Heat to medium high and pour in a scant tablespoonful of the batter, tilting the pan to spread it out - these are French style crêpes rather than thick American pancakes. When the surface is dry test whether the pancake will lift easily - as ever, the first is the trickiest! As soon as it will flip it over, give the second side half a minute or so, and tip it out. Wipe around the pan again, and repeat till all the batter is used up. I roll up the cooled pancakes, pack them into boxes and defrost as needed, slicing the rolled pancake to make tiny treats.

If you get bored making pancakes add more flour to the batter to get a dough like consistency, pat it out to around 1/2"/1cm thick on a non stick baking sheet, and bake it for 20 minutes in a medium oven. Cut into fingers and then into suitable sized pieces for your dog and then return to a very low oven for several hours till very dry and hard. These are Freddy Beddy! biscuits.

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
We have had a lovely long walk over fields this afternoon. I understand the Freddy come! Freddy collar! game now and I'm getting very good at it - I ran so fast yesterday to get back to MH when she called that I slipped on the paving and hurt myself. But I got extra pancake to make the bump better, and that helped make it go away. We are playing a new game called Freddy with me! - if I stay very close to MH while she walks along I get lots and lots of treats. It's hard work staying close enough, especially when Sophy and Poppy want to join in, so we only play it for a bit at a time.

This evening MH told me off for teasing Tilly-cat, but I think Tilly started it by looking at me and when I barked and bounced and Tilly smacked me Sophy came to rescue me and I ran upstairs after Tilly and MH said "Leave the cat ALONE!" in That Voice so I came down again, but I still think it was Tilly's fault. Sophy is playing with me lots and tells me which dogs are nice and shows me how to get humans to produce treats and knows all the best places to sniff on walks and is not as grumpy as she was a few weeks ago, but she still says I should learn to settle down in the evenings so the grown ups can have some peace. They spend hours and hours and hours snoozing - you'd think they would want some fun after all that lazing around.

Freddy xx

[Sophy is now 5 weeks post spay and has been markedly more energetic this last week or so. Freddy is pretty good about breaking off play when she signals that she has had enough, and they are well matched in size and weight, but I do worry about him barging into her. She will tell him when he goes too far though, and is being a huge help in raising him, just as I hoped she would be. fjm]

21 - 40 of 52 Posts