Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kojo are pit bull was found with his ears cut, infected, shinny with a very bad cough. I saw him just sitting there by the highway watching the cars drive by no one gave him a 2nd look. He face said I don't understand why my mommy and daddy left me here but I will wait for them to come back. I got out of my car and called him. He sat there for a min just looking at me. Then he came running over so happy even tho he look like a little skeleton. He was 3 months. I put him in my car and we went home. The hole time I was thinking what do I tell hubby he will kill me but there was no way I was going to leave this little man out in the cold. We got home and of coures hubby was up set. I didnt care tho. I fed the little puppy and washed him. I though first thing in the morning we would be at the vets. So I took the pup put him in my bed to go to sleep. After about 30 mins of coughing and trying to breath. I besided to take him to the emergency vet. We live on a lot of land and the E vet is about an hour and 30 min drive. I new hubby would throw a fit but the pup look so bad and could not sleep at all. So we all three go in the car and headed to the vet at 10 pm. He got cough med, antiotice and fluids. The vet also said his ears look like a home crop and would need the ends removed. Thankfully they only cut the ends off and there was ear that could be saved.We got his surgery done after he gained some weight. At this point hubby was still up set that we spent so much money on this pup. I went out of town for a week to see family and when I got home hubby and pup were inseparable. They were always in the same room or on are land together. I ask hubby you ready to find that pit pup a home. he said no his name is kojo and he stays. I kinda smiled and be for I could say a word I got the you better not look.Kojo was the most faithful dog always by hubbys side. Ever day at 5 kojo would make the long walk to the end of are drive and wait for hubbys truck to pull in. so he could jump in. (when hubby went out of town it was very hard to get kojo to come back up to the house he would insist on waiting there for hours) Kojo had tons of health problems allergies, bad ankles, he got sick tons of times with respiratory infections, got puppy mange.At the age of 2 he had his first seizure we took him straight to the E vet and he keep having them there. They finley got them to stop after the 7th one. We put him on meds to keep him from having more he was doing great for about 3 months no seizures at all. this sat he had one at 11 pm. I did as my vet told me and timed in 30 sec not bad. I was told this would happen every now and thin. So we when to bed at 415 he had another so we went to the E vet. The gave him a shot and sent use home we got home went to bed and 30 min later another seizue at this point I was so up set I new this was not right. We went back to the E vet. Where kojo keep having seizures for 12 long hours. He was suffering. We had to put him to sleep I have been with my hubby since 10th grade and have never seen him cry. He cried some much and so did I. That dog only did 3 bad things in his hole live. Why are people so cruel. Im sure he can from a BYB trying to make a buck. I hate to wake up in the morning now there is no big smell dog to huge. I cant sleep. When will this get better I just feel like I failed him. My hubby crys every night I just dont know what to do.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am so so sorry. It just is awful when we lose a furry friend. I know how it feels the decision to let one go is so hard. You made the right call though. I'll be thinking and praying for you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am so sorry that you are going through this. Making that decision is the hardest thing we can do. I am so glad that this then tiny neglected pup grew up to know what LOVE means... many never do. Bless your heart for stopping...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am so so sorry. You did the right thing and there is no way you failed him. You took him in, gave him a life full of love and care that he didn't have before. You gave him a chance that he wouldn't have had otherwise because of his breed. And finally you made an unselfish decision to stop his suffering and put his wel-being in front of yourselves. How could you have failed him?

I have a pit bull who was left in our yard that is no doubt from a BYB. She has terrible allergies to just about everything. She also has the biggest heart in any dog I've ever met and hasn't met a living thing she doesn't love yet.
My family (who used to buy in to the hype) now says that those who let a pit bull in to their lives get in return a love and devotion like no other.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
You gave him a life full of love and happiness, and he gave you all his love in return. At the end you were there with him to give him the last, loving, most costly gift of all. He was a huge part of your lives, and grief is not only for the human friends we lose. I wish I had words to help, but I have been there myself, and I know something of that pain. But you did not fail him in any way - you saved him over and over again, and so managed to give him years of joyous life, and a peaceful, easy passing.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i am so very sorry for your loss.

my son has a red nose pitt girl who is the sweetest most loving and well trained dog.

i am glad that you all gave kojo such a good forever home. and i'm glad he gave you all such love.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Life's path often includes tremendous joy and pain! You are so blessed to have brought the joy into his preciuos young life! Smile as you know now, Kujo is running free of any health issues or pain and he secure with the love for the both of you!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind works. I just needed to make sure other thought we did the right thing. Even tho my vet said it was the best for him and it would have most likely happend again. If we could get him to stop seizuring. I know with time I will get better right now its just hard. Sometimes I wish the BYB could have seen how much kojo,are family and friends sufffered. Kojo never met a stranger and love all animals. He is missed by so many people.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Not only has he enriched all your lives, he has been an ambassador for the PB breed. Good dog, Kojo - sleep well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What a lucky dog Kojo was to have found you! You gave him a good life, and you did what was best for him when he was suffering. Your feelings of guilt are normal. Give it time and you will come to see that you did the right thing for Kojo, no matter how difficult it was for you.
Hugs.
Vivienne

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am so sorry for Kojo, you and your husband. You should have no guilt, Kojo seemed to be suffering on and off and you did all you could do. Thank God for you! Kojo may have never experienced what he did with you and your husband. And you two were probably even more lucky to have had such a loving dog. It is truely heartbreaking that dogs are "fads" for so many people and that its no big deal just to discard them and not have another thought after.....

Your pain will ease, just think of the fond memories and remind yourself what a good person you are for taking in this special boy and giving him light when he was left in the dark.

I am thankful you shared your story - I too wish BYB's had a heart.

Rest In Peace Kojo.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Putting him to sleep was the kind and responsible thing to do to end his suffering. I am sure he was so thankful for the time he had with your family.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You did not fail him. You saved him!! The people who bred him failed him. He had a wonderful, kind and very loving home with you! He was blessed to have found a family to love him so much. I am so sorry for you and your husbands loss! He was a beautiful dog, and spread so much love in his too short life. Rest easy big guy.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am so sorry. The loss of a pet is REAL grief. The painful decision you had to make was the last loving thing you could do for him. I know your pain....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts