Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long day and night of unproductive labour that resulted in a trip to the emergency vet (where all the pups were born), our Portuguese Water Dog pups are here! Eight in total, a nice even four boys and four girls. They're beautiful. :)

If you're interested in seeing photos/ updates moving forward, you can look here: Kewbeach Portuguese Water Dogs

And we're also updating here: Kewbeach PWDs (kewbeachpwds) on Twitter

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Major congrats to you and your mom!! Beautiful puppies! It looks like both mom and the puppies are doing very well. Can you tell with porties at this age if they are curly coat or wavy? Will you guys be keeping a boy or girl out of the litter? Are they all spoken for yet? Aww, they kinda make me want a portie now!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I've been on the night watch over the week-end and am exhausted, but we're thrilled with how great the pups look and that they're all doing well. Darcy had to stay with a friend for the week-end, as he was quite stressed out by all the goings on.

Major congrats to you and your mom!! Beautiful puppies! It looks like both mom and the puppies are doing very well. Can you tell with porties at this age if they are curly coat or wavy? Will you guys be keeping a boy or girl out of the litter? Are they all spoken for yet? Aww, they kinda make me want a portie now!!
Yes, they're doing really well. Friday was a really tough day, 7 out of the 8 births were breach and we had a close call with the 8th when labour stalled again and she was in the birth canal for a while. While they were at the vet's office, my mom and her friend still did all the work delivering. But they're all thriving now, and Ziggy is going to be a great mom.

You can pretty much tell coat at birth. The wavies look completely smooth, like little labs, and the curlies have a slight crinkle to their coat. We have 4 wavies (3 girls, 1 boy) 3 curlies (2 boys, 1 girl) and 1 boy who looks like a soft curly or curly wavy. Time will tell!

I'm not sure what we'll keep, just depends who has the working ability my mom wants and the temperament to fit in with Ziggy. Oh and of course the structure to show, although this may be the last litter we ever have, we'll see. We're most likely keeping them for 9 weeks so have lots of time to decide!

As for homes, we have 6 or 7 so far. So we may have a couple available but not many. We'll see how it goes, we are getting lots of enquiries, so I don't think we'll have any trouble placing them. :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I went to Kewbeach Elementary School!!

The puppies are just adorable!! Hope Ziggy is enjoying motherhood.

I can't wait to watch them grow!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cute! Are they all black or did I see one with white on it (other than toes and chins)?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are sooooo cute !
Have you been flooded with requests for puppies since Bo moved into the White House ?
Haha, funny you ask, we did have someone call last week and say they wanted an "obama dog". But really no bigger volume of calls then we have had in the past. We do a good job of turning people off if we don't think they actually want a PWD for the right reason (or at least we don't sell them one!)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cute! Are they all black or did I see one with white on it (other than toes and chins)?
They're pretty much all black with just a little white on chins, toes and some on the chest. Most of them will grow up to be almost entirely black. Just goes to show you never know what you'll get, as their dad has beautiful white markings!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The puppies are 6 days old today and growing like fiends! Up until last night we only had one board covering the front of the box, until one of them almost got out. So now the biggest pups are big enough that we need 2 boards at all times.

I gave my mom a rest last night and stayed over to sleep in the room with them. Boy are they ever loud. The two blue boys and purple girl have especially found their voices, and are not shy about using them!

We finally spent some time on a photoshoot with them and got some good photos here: Kewbeach Portuguese Water Dogs

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know! They're cute in photo, but so so so cute in person! We're going to get some video of them this week-end in action. They've started interacting with each other and growling, wagging tails, etc. Darcy is so intrigued, he hasn't quite figured out what they are!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
LOL!! Whenever i look at them i think "i cant wait to see them with shaved faces, oh wait, they wont"!!!
I bet Darcy will have a Blast with them when they get older!! Im sure he will bond tight with his new "cousin" when you pick them out!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts