Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while ago about soothing the dogs with the Flappy Flappy Bang Bang song when the window cleaner came, with his wildly exciting brush on a pole that flaps and clatters against the windows like a huge, crazy bird. He came again this morning and I launched into the song at the first frenzied bark - within seconds both dogs were settled on the sofa with me, very nearly able to ignore the horrible thing altogether. It is a settle-down sort of song, droning and repetitive like a lullaby, rather than the bouncy tunes needed to cheer them along on a cold wet walk. I suspect I soothed them with similar droning chants when they were pups, and the sound has connotations of comfort and safety - I wonder if there has been any research into lullabies for puppies and dogs?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I know that Evie personally from experience calms down when I play classical guitar, such as songs like shindlers list.
I do not know if here has been any studying done but it does seem to calm her down.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know about calming, but our minipoo Vani howls whenever my kids play a certain lively song on the piano. Many Google experts think it is their nature to howl along with their pack. I'm not so sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
I think that's a great idea. Might have to come up with one for when "big bad FedEx" delivers a package to the porch....

Singing keeps the mood light and calms our own energy, which I'm guessing would calm our dogs, too. Kinda like how my husband starts rambling sweetly whenever Peggy spots a dog: "Aw! Puppy! Such a cute puppy. We sure love puppies. Puppy puppy puppy...."

(Though I guess that's more jollying than droning.)

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Here's some science and research about music and dogs. New Research on Dogs and Music

It makes sense that a calming song would quiet your dogs, FJM. I sing to Noelle in the middle of grooming that it's time for a love break. Love breaks are where I stop grooming and just hold her and sing a little song. She knows the song and wags her tail. I think Noelle likes music. She always goes under the piano bench when I practice. It's sweet.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Click - I had completely forgotten that piece. "Sounds with long, extended notes, pure tones and relatively slow tempos" describes the soothing song quite well, although it is perhaps more of a monotonous drone than pure tones! It was only when giving Poppy her pre-tooth cleaning snuggle that I realised that I use the same droning tune and slow tempo for the "Poppy is a good dog" song.

I am giggling at the thought of a sober scientific basis for Flappy Flappy Bang Bang...!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
FJM, I think you need to record this on You Tube and post for us! I’d like to hear flappy flappy bang bang. ?

When I train in agility, I often use a high pitched, lilting, sing songy voice to rev them up. It seems to promote a better connection between us ( in other words they pay better attention to me, lol). I didn’t think of it as a type of music until I read your post, but it truly is.

Click, Lily likes to jump in my lap when I’m playing the piano. Not sure what that’s all about, if she’s enjoying it or trying to get me to stop!

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Peggy was restless after a long snooze this morning, but I was unwell and unable to take her out. So I thought of this thread and sang her some droning nonsense. She could barely keep her eyes open. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts