Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
With all the scary and negative news out there these days, I thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss the good things in life. Please post anything positive here. It could be a news story, something that happened in your life, a really good inspirational quote or poem, etc. Thank you, and have a great day/night :)

Super Moderator
Nice idea.

I was flipping thru the channels today just in time to see Sherlock on Masterpiece Theatre (PBS). It was so good that I'm embarrassed to say I'd never watched it before. It was the special episode, "The Abominable Bride", and the acting, writing, and visuals kept my attention (which is no mean feat) for its entirety.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I just got one! I had entered Maizie in a barn hunt this past weekend, but I got to bed way too late the night before and it was a 2 hour drive that I would have to make super early in the morning. So, I decided not to go. Sometimes you lose entry fees. It's part of the game. But, I just got an email from the show secretary that she was ripping up my check. So kind!

Premium Member
One of the things I love best about choirs and orchestras is the ability for a group of people to come together to create something that cannot exist without one another. When I am down or unhappy, I indulge in choirs or orchestras. These are two of my favorite videos ever. Enjoy the uplift.

The first was filmed in a church and is an amazing rendition of a very familiar song.

Drop a coin in a hat and something wonderful might happen.

Registered
I collect quotes that make me happy and try to describe movie scenes that do the same. My descriptions are far short of seeing the scene.

Tales of Manhattan (movie)
Charles Laughton's tailcoat splits while conducting his original composition. The audience builds to a roar with laughter. The mishap is pointed out and he drops to his knees in despair. The conductor sponsoring him rises in his balcony seat with the audience watching and removes his tailcoat, telling Laughton to "continue". The audience sits back and quickly responds in kind, able to appreciate the music and remove the source of despair.
One of the most uplifting scenes in movie, with hardly a word spoken. Brilliant!

Little Women on Masterpiece PBS:
Meg "Nothing's ever perfect" Jo "but things can be just right" Marmi "Yes, they can"

And my current favorite

"I should probably say nothing more often."
Also Elon Musk on his Twitter responses

===========

New season of Sherlock coming very soon, with the first female Doctor Who not long after

===========

My go to movie for when I need a lift "Babe", and books "The Secret Garden" and "A Little Princess"

Registered
The Barcelona flash mob video is one I go back to again and again, along with the Netherlands horse rescue:

I have a bad news/very good news story - I have a droopy eyelid that has begun to be a nuisance. At my last optician appointment it was suggested it might be time to do something about it, and my optician referred me to the hospital ophthalmology service. I didn't hear anything for a while, and had almost forgotten about it as it is rather trivial, then got an appointment for yesterday afternoon. I saw an extremely good young woman who explained in detail what caused it (46 years of wearing contact lenses), discussed the pros and cons of surgery (she could correct it, but it was very likely to recur if I continued to wear lenses), checked my eyes very thoroughly and found the beginnings of cataracts, and joined with me in saying Hurrah! The lens replacement surgery for cataracts will sort out my longstanding myopia, and if the droopy eyelid needs correcting she can do it when I no longer need contact lenses!

I was very impressed at how sympathetic and focussed she was on an issue I was rather embarrassed to take to a consultant, but it was very reassuring to meet someone who could tell me everything I needed to know. And she said that she had a small daughter with myopia, and found it very reassuring to meet someone who had coped with it successfully for so many years, so we both ended the session feeling very cheerful.

Yet another reason to love the NHS!

Premium Member
Summer school is over! I now have the month of August to hang with our dogs and straighten up my house.

Premium Member
At the end of the 9-10 AM hour on MSNBC Stefanie Ruhle always shares a good news story. Last week she reported on a store clerk who had noticed a young man with autism who wanted to help stock shelves. The clerk showed the young man what to do and they worked together for about an hour. Today she had a follow up noting that the autistic man's family had started a Go Fund Me campaign to raise money for the store clerk to be able to go to college. Their goal was $100K which they have already surpassed by the better part of 20,000. Pay it forward folks!

Registered
I got up at 5 am for a commercial shoot this morning. There were at least 20 takes! There just as many camera and crew behind the scenes as there are on the screen. It is my first time being on TV since I was a child. I had a fun time in a small role.

Life takes you in unforeseeable journeys. This experience is a reminder that life has so many opportunities. It is important to keep an open mind.

Premium Member
My grandson Wyatt has really brought joy to our lives. He is the most cheerful little guy.

What a happy hunk he is!

Registered
This is a fabulous post.

I prefer to be a positive, happy person every day. It is a choice you can make. Some people are just born happy and the rest of us have to work at it.

I have a routine that grounds me and counters depressing actions. I like to think about three or four things each day that made me thankful to be alive. It can be something small or huge, personal or world wide - it really doesn't matter what it is. Babykins and my family is always at the top of the list. It can be that first spring flower, or a beautiful sunny day, walking in the shade in a favorite park or the feel of clean sheets on the bed.

Registered
I forgot to add - Marie - I loved those videos - DH and I watched them both several times tonight.

And Wyatt is adorable- such a cute baby.

Premium Member
An anonymous donation covering the full first year of tuition for a new class at U of H鈥檚 Medical School made me so happy. Can you imagine the relief of those students? One year that they don鈥檛 have to worry about? And the anonymous generosity, that no longer gets a tax deduction. Philanthropy at its most pure.

Which leads me to LeBron James school and his gift to each child of a new bike and helmet, just that small part of his generosity resonated with me. He was interviewed by the WSJ about the bikes and he spoke about the freedom his first bike gave him to visit friends, go the the basketball courts or just ride. Eventually a bike with gears that made hills easier. That sparked a reverie of what my childhood bikes meant to me - exactly the same thing! Except mine were specified in my list to Santa, who always delivered. Very happy for two different new classes, university and elementary and hopeful for their futures:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I hope the picture of Wyatt and his smashcake post this time.
Oh, he is sooo precious! Anyone who has a baby in their life is super blessed. I get to see my nieces and nephew soon and I can't wait! Baby and littles therapy!

This is a fabulous post.

I prefer to be a positive, happy person every day. It is a choice you can make. Some people are just born happy and the rest of us have to work at it.

I have a routine that grounds me and counters depressing actions. I like to think about three or four things each day that made me thankful to be alive. It can be something small or huge, personal or world wide - it really doesn't matter what it is. Babykins and my family is always at the top of the list. It can be that first spring flower, or a beautiful sunny day, walking in the shade in a favorite park or the feel of clean sheets on the bed.
Skylar, you are truly one of the most positive people I know. I love how you shared your story of how you've made happiness a choice. I wholeheartedly agree--anyone can choose to be happy.

Registered
Not sure this is inspirational but my dog Kit has figured out the ice dispenser in my refrigerator. Yikes! She covers her accidents with rags and now she is getting herself ice. She saw Paul make ice coffee every morning and decided to get her own beverage. Only if she knows how to work the espresso machine lol.

Ice and Kale are her favorite things in life. The dispenser makes the little dudes go crazy because they don鈥檛 like the sound. I hope this was just a one time occurrence this morning.

Registered
I'm loving this thread. There is so much bad in this world and some people spend their time dwelling on it. My husband is one of the worse pessimist I know, he seems to go out of his way to find the bad in anything and everything. Fortunately, for the most part, I try to find the good in whatever life is throwing at me. If I didn't, I would end up like him and I don't want to be there.

Here is my positive. I'm a naturalist and I marvel at this miracle of a planet we are blessed to live on. And being a naturalist, I keep my tiny 4 acres as pure as possible, aka, organic. Right now I'm in the middle of the growing season and because of my gardening habits, I am blessed in watching nature. I see and marvel at beautiful spiders, snakes, and other creepy crawlers as well as the cuter wildlife. I plant to encourage nature so I get butterflies as well as the joy of watching future butterflies grow. Because I plant natural food for the wildlife, I'm not plagued with the undesirables like aggressive introduce birds who only look for easy pickings like bird feeders. instead I have native birds and wildlife. And this year I had the special pleasure of finding an eastern box turtle.

Oh I have manicured gardens as well as my wild areas, but I also have the best of both worlds. And I find in being organic, nature takes care of herself. What might be a plaque one year is gone the next because what takes care of the plaque is allowed to grow. And so what if the chipmunk under my porch ate one of my container plants(well I was pissed, it was a unusual and beautiful plant as well as one of a match set, but I got over it) or if I have holes in the leaves of a number of plants. The chippy keeps Eustace entertained by taunting him at the window and the slugs eating holes in my leaves feed my beloved toads, I have fat sassy toads,and since they are territorial,many of them are friends and even have names, lol.

I don't know if you can make it out from this pic, but I had a especially special guest in my back pasture this spring.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts