Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been a new dog on "MY" beach. He has a daddy with him but my daddy says he's a "druggy". What does that mean? Anyway he is not friendly and not leashed. Daddy has said a lot of strong words to the dogs daddy. His name is Bert. He is a APBT Rhodesian Ridgback cross daddy says. Anyway he did not like me. I thought everyone liked me! Last week he singled me out and came at me with purpose. No play bow. No "Woof" just strait in, tail behind low and purposeful. Daddy needs a stick to walk nowadays and he stepped in and reversing the stick gave Bert a good one on his neck. Bert's daddy made a lot of noise and my daddy walked away from him and Bert.

Then another time Bert made another attack on me. Daddy was too far away to help but I knew Bert was not playing. I ran like the wind (as I can) and Bert could not catch me. I went back to daddy and Bert attacked. Daddy fell over and Bert grabbed my ear. Daddy always says I am stoic and don't feel pain a lot but I can tell you other Poodles that it hurt a lot. I have a VERY strong neck and I ripped my ear from Bert's mouth and in the same movement I grabbed his nose real hard. Bert thew his head about and growled yelping at the same time. I did not let go cause I didn't want to have another ear or something else grabbed. Bert gave up and ran to his daddy. I still had his nose. You would think he would have taken it with him!

Daddy gave Bert's nose to his daddy ( who was making a lot of noise) He made to hit daddy and I bit him on the Bum (fanny) while daddy hit him with the stick.

Daddy says Bert's daddy is still mad and he went to the police. Daddy says his security camera (Daddy was once a policeman) recorded all the things. Daddy says Bert's daddy will be in more trouble than we will.

I have a shaved ear and stitches. I have not seen Bert since. Daddy says he has gone over some bridge or another cause he had no nose and his daddy would not buy him a new one. His old nose tasted OK. Maybe they could have shaved it like my ear and stitched it?

Anyway I'm OK and so is daddy. Bert's daddy is away somewhere?

Your Poodle friend Gracie

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
That is so scary. We had a bull/boxer dog schatzi when I lived at home. She was dads dog and she was so sweet and had a lot of energy and got along good with my standard poodle Sasha.. until one day she didn’t.. they used to play together all the time and never was any problems till one day she just decided she hated Sasha and she attacked her. I was outside screaming for my dad to come help cause I could not get her off Sasha. I was crying and freaking out and my dad cane and tore her off. Sasha had deep puncture wounds on her neck.. after that we had to be super careful to never have them loose at the same time. Every morning before I brought Sasha down to pee I had to yell down and have someone lock schatzi up. One day I was outside in the fenced yard playing with Sasha when mom came home from work and didn’t know I was home and she let schatzi outside in the fenced yard to pee. I heard the door open and I yelled NO IM OUT HERE WITH SASHA! I was sooo scared. I saw schatzi come running and I positioned myself between them and I tried to grab schatzi and I thought I had her but she quick went between my legs and lunged right for Sasha and I started screaming and kicking her and smacking and pulling and I couldn’t get her off. I thought Sasha was dying. Schatzi had her by the neck. My sweet Sasha was 13 years old and small for a standard. My mom came running and grabbed schatzi by the head and I was kicking schatzi in the ribs. (I was hysterical and probably not helping very much as I was very scared and crying) mom got bit twice. She kept pulling and then my little brother heard the noise and came running outside with a broom and at the same time my older brother and my dad both came running out. Dad grabbed schatzi and picked her up but Sasha’s neck went with and she was hanging. My older brother pried her mouth open and then I quick grabbed Sasha and ran inside and got her out of there. My mom then passed out on the deck and woke up and started puking. She had 2 bites and was pretty scraped up from passing out and from falling when trying to get schatzi off. We had schatzi our to sleep that day and Sasha’s ear was bit bad and her neck. She did heal but I always wonder if she would have lived longer if she hadn’t gone through that. She died about a year later from cancer in her mammory glands. Vet said cause I never had her fixed or had her bred... anyway I am sooo glad Gracie is okay! Dog fights scare me so bad now. Every time I introduce a new dog to my dogs it’s my biggest fear it’s going to attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
These two stories actually made me literally sick to my stomach. I'm sorry for the loss of any dog. This is why I do not allow y dogs off leash where they can come in contact with another dog. You just never know and when you do this you must be in a po satin to save your dog from attack. Jessica I'm guessing both dogs were females, I have heard of this happening with more than one female in the same household many times they get along until they don't. (of course there are exceptions, and I've had a few). This is just so sad.

·
Registered
305 Posts
These two stories actually made me literally sick to my stomach. I'm sorry for the loss of any dog. This is why I do not allow y dogs off leash where they can come in contact with another dog. You just never know and when you do this you must be in a po satin to save your dog from attack. Jessica I'm guessing both dogs were females, I have heard of this happening with more than one female in the same household many times they get along until they don't. (of course there are exceptions, and I've had a few). This is just so sad.

Yes they were both females. Schatzi the bull boxer was spayed but Sasha my standard poodle wasn’t. They always played fine together and one day she just went after Sasha and attacked her while they were playing with a toy and ever since that one time they couldn’t be together at all because she just wanted to attack the moment she saw her. It was really sad cause she was such a sweet dog to us and never acted aggressive at all toward humans but still dangerous so we had to put her down. We didn’t want to risk her getting loose and hurting someone else’s dog or worse a child.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I fully understand. Sometimes we have to make those decisions in the best interest of all. I can imagine your mom was traumatized. I think I would have been. So sorry.

Thank you. Yes my mom was traumatized.. I hate to think what would have happened if my dad had not been home because mom and I were making no progress at all at getting schatzi to let go of Sasha. Mom was holding her by the head and pulling but just kept getting knocked over and bit. I’m sure she would have killed Sasha if dad and my brothers didn’t come when they did.. I was so scared and shaky.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Gracie, I am glad you and your daddy are ok. That was so scary and I hope your ear gets better quickly without a lot of pain. Extra treats for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
I can't friggin' believe this; the nerve and stupidity of this guy to let his big-azzed dog run off leash knowing that he already tried to attack your poodle and had to be hit with a stick the first time. Moron! And then got mad when his Pit took a beating and complained to the cops!

But Gracie! Score 1-Poodle, 0-Pit Mix. I.AM.CELEBRATING!
That girl was a champion in the ring! Pranced off with a NOSE TROPHY!
Way to go, Gracie!

·
Registered
344 Posts
These episodes remind me of a question I've been curious about, but not sure how to get a non-PC, non-politically charged objective answer: do some breeds of dogs (e.g. pit bull-types) have a more volatile streak than other breeds, and a greater portion of them (even if still few in terms of overall %) have a tendency of "flipping out" and suddenly going crazy violent, even when they've been raised in relatively good homes? I'm not talking about Pit Bulls who have been abused - I'd imagine there would be a tendency for violence at a greater % from these abused dogs, no matter the effort made to rehabilitate them later, than well-bred/well-cared for Standard Poodles who've never been abused. Rather, I'm talking about Pit Bulls who've been well-bred/well-cared for. Even with these, is there still a greater % of those who "flip out" than, say, Poodles?

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
That is so scary. We had a bull/boxer dog schatzi when I lived at home. She was dads dog and she was so sweet and had a lot of energy and got along good with my standard poodle Sasha.. until one day she didn’t..
Oh Jessica, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and your poor Mom! I'm glad Sasha healed from her injuries, sad she died from cancer a year later at 13 y/o; maybe she would have anyway. So sad. Your family couldn't have known this would happen since Schatzi and Sasha were chill for a long time. Stories like this compound my zero trust in those bully breeds due to their unpredictable nature. Some can be great - until one day they aren't.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Eric I am very glad you and Grace are okay for the most part. Grace you are a very brave girl to have taken on that nasty Bert.

Aside from the obvious perennial conversation about pits/pit mixes I do have a couple of thoughts. First Mufar, I hear what you are saying about keeping your dogs on leash in places you might encounter other dogs, but do you have a plan for what you will do if the other dog you meet is off leash. My plan is to drop my leash(es). I think my dogs and I would all stand a better chance if they are able to freely move to defend themselves. Also I will have a better chance to help them if I can move freely rather than me becoming a part of whatever attack may be happening.

The other thought I have is that supervision of dogs should be happening all of the time. We never send more than one dog into the yard at our house unless a person goes with them. We feed the poodles near each other and/or Lily and Peeves near each other, but we watch them while they eat. We do not ever leave Peeves and Javelin together unsupervised for any reason. They do not have good history together and there is no point in tempting fate. Baby gates and closing room doors makes our home peaceful. Humans run the relationships between each dog and other dogs and other people. Sometimes this means we have to do things we think we shouldn't have to.

The last thing to say is that when you have dogs fighting if there are two people each person should grab the two back legs of one dog and pull them backwards like backing up with a wheelbarrow. If there is only one person then that person should grab the back legs of the dog that is on top of things in the fight to give the other dog a chance to escape. Most dogs that are in the "losing" position of having been rolled on their back will just run away if they can. Don't ever reach for the collar, neck or head of a dog that is red hot in the middle of a fight.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
What is needed is responsible dog ownership regardless of breed. I have a neighbor who just got #3 pittbull. They have a small picket fence that is in need of repair. One of the other neighbors told me they are going to put up a big fence, stockade. I hope this is true. They are fairly responsible. Another neighbor got a GSD puppy about 5 months ago, couldn't handle the whining and put the dog outside. A few weeks back they walked it past my house and its ruff was up when it saw Renn & I in our yard. Then we walked and it was loose with their kids in front yard. They did grab it when we yelled Is that dog leashed?, now yesterday my daughter drove past and young girl was standing on side of road with it and it lunged at my daughters car, making her swerve as to not hit it. I have a bd feeling about this dog, its not being supervised by adults. Five children from teen about 15 to maybe 3 year old. I can't technically say anything as nothing happened yet. Our HOA won't want to get involved they say go talk to your neighbor. Yeah..I will more than likely do that in the near future and probably will have a neighbor dislike me. I really don't know why they got this dog obviously the wrong breed for this family, and I like and have owned many GSD's.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Lillcd..Yes I more than likely would drop the lead too and let my dog find safety. I do know that Renn would run and jump on me for protection. I carry my pet convincer whenever I walk now. I've used it once when someone didn't keep their annoying dog out of my space. It really wouldn't do much in an attack but it may give me a minute to get my heard on straight.
I also always supervise my dogs when off leash be it outdoors or in. I don't allow rough housing, some play but strictly supervised so it doesn't get rough. We also have baby gates, crates and doors which are used periodically through the day to give peace to the house. There are times when everyone just lies around in the same room but if not they have their own spaces.
I have read that grabbing the rear legs to separate i the best maneuver . Now that I am older and having trouble with my legs I am more apprehensive about walking thru my neighborhood because of the residents who are not being responsible. I have another one who has a well behaved retriever loose on his front lawn and they do supervise but still I don't feel comfortable going past their house anymore and a block away from them a goodledoodle whose neighbor also lets her off leash on front lawn but has no control, although they supervise. The one thing I enjoy doing very much is walking, especially with my dog and I feel I can no longer safely do this. While Renn is getting better now about keeping his focus on me if he sees another dog that is excitable and not listening he gets all hyped up. This I'm not quite sure how to handle but I try and get his focus back on me. IF one wants to walk with me and their dog is minding its own business just walking, Renn is fine to do that too. Renn is turning into a really nice companion, its only now when we have excitement from other dogs/people that he becomes hard to manage. He is trying. LOL

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
...The last thing to say is that when you have dogs fighting if there are two people each person should grab the two back legs of one dog and pull them backwards like backing up with a wheelbarrow. If there is only one person then that person should grab the back legs of the dog that is on top of things in the fight to give the other dog a chance to escape. Most dogs that are in the "losing" position of having been rolled on their back will just run away if they can. Don't ever reach for the collar, neck or head of a dog that is red hot in the middle of a fight.
I've never heard this advice but it absolutely makes sense. I hope I never need it, but thank you for sharing this.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Mufar I think we are usually preaching to the choir when we talk amongst ourselves here so I usually am thinking about a larger audience of folks who might stumble across our posts when I note some of the things I do.

I couldn't agree with you more about many many people not being responsible owners. Ranging from people who get a dog with no intention of anything other than it being sort of an accessory to their life to those who pick the wrong breed...it is all very sad for lots of dogs and lots of people. It is really shameful that you live in a development that is HOA based and that they don't enforce rules about loose dogs and the like. It is ridiculous to not be able to walk with Renn safely and happily.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Gracie and Erick
I am so sorry you both had to go through that, I would sue the pants off Bert's dad, and no sympathy for Bert, or his Dad if he was put down. those dogs can flare up anytime. There should be a requirement to muzzle those types of dogs when out in public even on a leash. Erick get a good attorney especially with the video, that makes me so mad, I had that here for a very short time, and I was nasty, hateful, rude, you name it I was it. Anyone dumb enough not to control their dog, I do not want them as a neighbor much less a friend

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
I am glad Gracie and you are alright. These attacks happen suddenly, so you do need a plan. After one, expect PTSD symptoms. I had so much dangerous dog drama walking my previous dog, I had to promise DH, Buck would be exercised in the yard.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Whew, what a story ! Erick, you and Gracie were both very brave. I can’t believe how irresponsible this guy is.

Did Gracie really tore the dog’s nose completely ? I think I’ll have nightmares if I think about it too much.

I’m glad you both are okay. And I hope the other dog didn’t suffer too greatly. Even though he caused the problem, his owner is the only one responsible. He should go to jail or be fined a huge amount. You could have been killed.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Absolutely horrifying!! So glad you are okay! And Jessica your story was so scary too. The more stories like this that I hear, the less I trust the bully breeds.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Eric and Gracie, Oliver and I are so sorry this happened, and hope you heal well. I'm very thankful it wasn't worse in terms of your injuries, because this was a serious attack.

I'm also sorry that other dog had such an irresponsible owner who refused to keep him safe through managing him and his not unexpected aggression. Bert lost his life because of that arrogant jerk owner.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts