Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I would say, the less expensive models of Canon or Nikon digital SLR will be be a great choice. It would likely to do all you want and much more. The more expensive camera bodies (over $1000) allow you to push boundaries like low light photography, super fast frames-per-second (great for pro sports photographers), etc. Thats probably way more than you want/need. For a "budding" photographer wanting great pics of their pet, I would get an entry level DSRL Canon or Nikon, then spend money to upgrade the lens (if you feel it necessary) and possibly a wireless flash.

I recommend Canon or Nikon because not only do they make good cameras, you get the most choices of high quality lenses if you go deeper into the hobby.

Camera bodies: Canon T3, T3i (a step up), or T2i (previous model still available but cheaper than a T3i)

I dont know the Nikon model numbers since Im a Canon shooter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
Since I am also a birder, I just wanted to tell you I love the little blue heron. What lens?

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
Yes, birder too since I was about ten, suppose I should update my profile since that predates poodler, the spoonbill is even nicer.

Reactions: Jacamar

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I believe I'm getting a Nikon D3100 in about a month. I'm going to need an editing program, though. Any suggestions? I need something fairly user-friendly and for a "hobbyist" not a professional. I also use a Mac.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Adobe Lightroom is far less expensive than Photoshop. I dont know how easy it is to learn. I own it, but havent installed it yet. I bought it just because there was a deal where you could buy Lightroom and get a $400 off coupon for Photoshop. So now I own both but havent had time to install either yet. Will probably install photoshop later today. I know the two apps take a much different approach to photo editing.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Can someone explain to me why my pics always show up small when I post them? Obviously I'm doing something wrong :(

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Can someone explain to me why my pics always show up small when I post them? Obviously I'm doing something wrong :(
Is this an example?

http://www.poodleforum.com/3-poodle-pictures/17592-snake-necklace.html

It looks plenty big to me. (Yep, thats what she said.. haha)

When you post a pic as an attachment, your post just shows a "thumbnail" image that expands when you click it. The other way to post is to put your pic on a photo site like flickr.com or photobucket.com, then post a link to the image by clicking the picture image (looks like a mountain and sun) on the message toolbar.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The other way to post is to put your pic on a photo site like flickr.com or photobucket.com, then post a link to the image by clicking the picture image (looks like a mountain and sun) on the message toolbar.
Ok ... I do use Flickr, and I tried grabbing the link to the pic and pasting into the picture image spot, and it didn't work :( What am I dong wrong?? :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Ok ... I do use Flickr, and I tried grabbing the link to the pic and pasting into the picture image spot, and it didn't work :( What am I dong wrong?? :ahhhhh:
I can't see your attempt so i don't know what you did wrong. try posting the pic to this thread.

make sure you're using the link to the picture itself, not the flickr page that displays it.
in flickr, right-click the image. a menu pops up. Choose large size. then right click the large image that comes up, choose Copy image address. paste that into your poodle forum post by using the image button on the toolbar.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

Quad | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Another try .... I feel so dumb!!!

This one was done 2 ways ...by pasting the url in the message body and by using the Insert Image icon.
Dont feel dumb, computers frustrate me too and I work with them for a living!

I edited my last post to add instructions but you may have replied before my edit and not seen it.

You need to use the link to the picture itself, not the flickr page that displays it.
in flickr, right-click the image. a menu pops up. Choose the size you want (usually "large" or "original"). Then when the picture re-loads in that size, right-click it, choose "Copy image address" (or whatever your browser says that means the same thing) and then paste that into your poodle forum post by using the image button on the toolbar.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
RileysMommy's thread gave me this idea. I think we need a place to consolidate our photography tips and a place to discuss photo editing (Photoshop, etc.).

My first question involves lighting. Everyone is invited to respond, but I'm going to address two that stand out in my mind. :)

Mama2FourAZ & Spoowhisperer: how do you get such perfect lighting in your pics?

Mama2FourAZ - your pics of Lilly are always so sharp and crisp (studio shots).

Spoowhisperer - I love the pic of Kai relaxing by the fire in the Raptor thread.

What camera/lens did you use and do you do any followup editing?
NOW.... I HAVE TO SEE THOSE WONDERFUL PICTURES THEN.... hehehehe please post them! I love being "THE photographer" and Lou loves to be the model...LOL but I have not edited her photos, even though sometimes I wish I did, to show her actual color, that is not show accurately on the pictures... Im just lazy I have photoshop, maybe I will edit them sometime... please post these awesome pictures! :-D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
SO excited. I finally got a decent camera! My family all pitched and and presented me with a Nikon d3100 for my birthday last weekend.

Great right? Well, yes except that I still don't have much of an idea on how to use it except for putting it on auto and snapping away. But I'm learning and reading tutorials and guides like a madwoman.

I could use a little advice on the following:
1) Do you have any recommendations for great books/tutorials? Especially pertaining to dog/animal photography? (links please!)

2) It came with an 18-55mm lens. I can't afford to go out and spend $500 on lenses right now, but does anyone have any recommendations for what would be the next best purchase for this camera, or any specific filters/add-ons I should look into? (links to best products would be helpful)

3) I'm looking at editing programs. I am moderately competent with basic photo editing software (have used Corel PSP and Photoshop Elements extensively in the past) and clueless when it comes to programs like the Adobe CS line. That's really all that I'm familiar with. I'm operating on a macbook and looking for something reasonably priced (in the $1-200 range) to use to do basic photo editing. Any suggestions?

Thanks! I'm super excited to learn more!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Congrats on your new camera!

Whether you need another lens depends a lot on the photos you take and what you do with your pics. You dont have much zoom with that lens, but you may not need it. Will you mostly take pics of your poodles at close range? If so, then no need to buy a long zoom lens. Long zoom lenses are good for sports photography and wildlife photography (and dog agility).

If you print out your pics as large prints, a higher quality lens than the "kit lens" you got with your camera will give you much better results. If you tend to only look at your pics on the computer, or make small prints, a better lens will still give you better results, but it wont make as much difference because you'll be looking at reduced versions of the pics and that makes the less quality less evident.

Dont forget to make copies of your pics and edit the copies, so you have unaltered originals to go back to if you want.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yep, mainly just photos of the poodles. Probably not a lot of really long distance stuff. I'm still trying to decide on an editing program. I'm contemplating giving Lightroom a test run and seeing if I like it at all. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I got lightroom a few months ago but havent ever installed it. I bought it because it came with a coupon for a few hundred off photoshop. I know lots of people like lightroom though. Ive seen demos.. You use "brushes" to make changes, like a lightening brush, or a smoothing brush or whatever. So its very different from photoshop. I dont think there is a way to select and work with a specific set of pixels, but I could be wrong. I think you can download a free trial off their website. Other than photoshop, it might be the best editing program out there.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts