Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone watching The Pack on Amazon Prime? If not, it's an adventure reality show featuring dog-human teams, similar to the Amazing Race (which I never watched, so I can't compare). I gather from some of the voiceovers that the teams had to go through training before taping - Scent Work and I don't know what else - and that there is a herd of dog trainers off camera ensuring safety.

I'm half way through the first episode, admittedly only half listening, and this is ridiculous. Attempts at drama are unnecessary, because the dogs - including a Poodle and a couple of Doodles - are the stars! More costumes, more dog sports, more cuteness! Less treacly interviews. It seems like it would be a fantastic show if it took itself less seriously.

Mia's nonplussed at the barking.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah I did not like it myself to much of a boring drama less about the dogs and about the sports.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like it's trying to be too much. If it had just accepted that it's a Puppy Bowl with a higher budget, it'd be great!

Maybe it gets better?

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
I watched the first episode. The dogs are amazing, clearly have received special training and I love the poodle.

It it’s highly edit to be flashy; that editing ruins the show. Instead of being glitzy I would have preferred to watch the dogs work. Shame, the dogs are stars but the production is overproduced to minimize them.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought the trained behaviors and breed variety were neat, but lost interest at the zipline challenge. I did appreciate that they mentioned that the dogs were conditioned to the harnesses so they're not afraid of them, but still. Of all the challenges you could choose for a show like this...why not choose something where the dogs are active participants? A dog ziplining is a dog tolerating something done to them for drama's sake.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree Laura, the challenges were basically for the humans and being done to the dogs. I never watched The Amazing Race, but I imagine the helicopter ride and ziplines were taken straight from that show. I would have preferred to watch dogs do the the types of sports they were bred to do, though I don't know how much mass market appeal that would have!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Is anyone watching The Pack on Amazon Prime? If not, it's an adventure reality show featuring dog-human teams, similar to the Amazing Race (which I never watched, so I can't compare). I gather from some of the voiceovers that the teams had to go through training before taping - Scent Work and I don't know what else - and that there is a herd of dog trainers off camera ensuring safety.

I'm half way through the first episode, admittedly only half listening, and this is ridiculous. Attempts at drama are unnecessary, because the dogs - including a Poodle and a couple of Doodles - are the stars! More costumes, more dog sports, more cuteness! Less treacly interviews. It seems like it would be a fantastic show if it took itself less seriously.

Mia's nonplussed at the barking.
I started too but it was kinda boring and I couldn't get into it. For me there was just too much blah blah talk at least in the beginning so I didn't watch any further.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
246 Posts
Just watched it now and I agree with everyone, wish we could see the dogs compete more. But the idea of being able to travel the world with your dog... is just amazing. In reality it is so hard to set any travel up, just the idea is so cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts