Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday when I picked my Mini pup Beau up from the groomer she told me something interesting. That Beau is the ONLY purebred mini poodle that she grooms o_O! She said she grooms a lot of toys and several standards, but the only other mini's she grooms are doodles. I knew mini's were uncommon in my area, but I didn't know they were that rare.

Here is my handsome little man fresh from the groomer :) . . .

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Beau is “beau”tiful.

There is so many more standard and toy poodles that I’m not surprised. I had a lot of trouble finding my minipoo.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
In most places minis are, indeed, the least common of the three varieties. I maintain a list of recommended poodle breeders in the Southwest - only three breed minis. That actually reflects buyer demand - most people want toys or standards rather than minis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a lot of trouble finding my minipoo.
Yeah when we first started looking, I admit I thought it would be easy to find a decent Mini breeder, boy was I wrong. Beau came from a breeder who lives all the way across the state (NY). All the ones I found that were closer to us, the dogs were poor quality, or they were breeding dogs that were oversized, etc. Beau's breeder focuses on health and temperament, all dogs are health tested, quality dogs that are very well cared for.
Although I will say Beau has given everyone a bit of a surprise, his parents are both "normal" sized. His father is a big toy at about 10", and his mother is about 12". At 8 months old Beau is 15" and 15.5lbs, so he is going to be a bit oversized. But I don't really care, as long as he's healthy and happy. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had only groomed standards and a few toys before getting my own mini and she was the first mini I groomed. I’ve groomed uncountable amounts of doodles and see them everywhere on walks now. I only ever see the occasional standard on walks. I think people think I want a big poodle (= standard) or I want a small poodle (=toy).

·
Registered
342 Posts
I live in a state with some good mini breeders (MN). But during my research before getting a puppy from a breeder I became very aware how few breed minis! I wanted a mini since I’ve had a gorgeous one before and wanted one from a puppy age.
Overall I think what I see most as far as poodles go are badly bred toy poodles that belong to older adults. I rarely see minis or standards. I’d be excited if I saw another correct, purebred poodle in my area. Of course there are plenty of poodle mixes.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
It certainly is a Cinderella size. Fewer breeders, small litters and that darn wicket. If you want a good mini, you have to be patient or really, really lucky. Find your dream breeder who does all the PCA testing, put down a deposit and wait. Ask about show fails, if you’re not set on a puppy. We’ll keep you company, meanwhile:)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I got a laugh from "Beau came from a breeder who lives all the way across the state (NY)". I live in central New Mexico where anything less than 100 miles away is considered to be in the neighborhood. My granddaughter grew up on Long Island and she was amazed at the huge distances between towns in the West.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
This was my world for several years while I searched! I now have Gracie who is 18 months old, got her at 8 weeks from Light n Lively in Staten Island. She was worth waiting for, everything I wanted and more that I didn’t even know I wanted. She is in size, on the larger end, 13 7/8 Inches and 15 lbs. a couple pics from her doing practice jumps at last weekend’s agility trial are attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Tierna

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
And Beau is BEAUtiful!!! Enjoy him 😀

Reactions: Tierna
1 - 13 of 13 Posts