Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Snoops and I went out for our morning business. We usually go up one road, and he has a selection of spots where he likes to piddle and poo-dle.
We reached the end of the drive and he was sniffing the air like mad! He then pulled me the opposite direction that we usually go. I went with it.. and then a few moments later.. I heard it. The familiar screeching of a hawk.. sure enough it was coming from the direction of our usual path. So THAT'S what he was sniffing out! I was so amazed by little Snoops.

I've also noticed that he knows minutes before when someone may be arriving home, or entering our drive. He perches himself up on the couch, staring out the window minutes before.

Do any of you experience the same thing with your poodles or other dogs/animals?

I'm definitely paying more attention to Snoops and his behavior/body language.. I'm sure he senses way more than I do ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I've never noticed much deeply intuitive stuff from our PWDs... But I do think their senses are much more heightened then ours! I read a really interesting book a few years ago called "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home", which was all about seemingly psychic behaviours from dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-That-Their-Owners-Coming/dp/0609805339

My parents are British, and when they moved to Canada my mom left her whippet behind with her parents. Every single time we went back for a visit, he would start sitting by the window of my grandparents house the day before we were due to arrive and wait for my mom to get there. I guess you could argue he knew we were coming by certain actions my grandparents did, but he always got it right, and he was always there in the window when we arrived. :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Those noses do know! If Riley is ahead of me on a trail and i take a different turn then him, he always finds me right off no matter how many options he has. Also, his nose better know as that is his "job" (tracking dog)! :D

He has never shown that he knows when we are coming home though. I have never personally met a dog that has.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dogs are so clever!

I would lose my mind if that hawk scooped up Snoops... I often wonder what I would do in that situation.. how would I react?! We also have fox, coyotes, deer in our neighborhood... I carry mace with me but I don't know if that would do the trick.

We have a friend who is a truck driver.. he drove all over the States with his little toy (not sure of the breed) companion. They stopped at a truck stop one day for a potty break and a hawk or eagle swooped down and snatched little Vincent up. He didn't stand a chance. All his owner could do was stand and watch little Vincent get carried away... ugh.. breaks my heart.

And what about Jessica Simpson and her little Daisy?! That girl just hasn't had much luck lately!

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is freaky to hear about your dog sniffing out the hawk.

And I read about Jessica Simpson's dog, Daisy! She was so cute. I feel so bad for her.... :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts