Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I woke up to my dog jumping off my bed.

Retch retch retch in the corner - wait, move please, that's the corner I have the library books stacked in! Flick on the light (library books are safe). There's a small pile of wood shavings in the corner in some stomach juices.

Anyway - amazed at dog digestion. Last night I gave Annie a frozen turkey neck. She ate it, all (it was too hard for me to whack in half with a knife, but she could eat it), lying on the ground in the mulch outside. Must have gotten some mulch stuck on it and devoured at the same time.

I still find it amazing that:
1) She can actually bite and devour a raw turkey neck, bones and all
2) It's raw - and she can handle the pathogens.
3) I doubt I will even see bone fragments on the other end because they get so well digested
4) Her stomach sorted out that she COULDN'T digest the cedar mulch, and ejected it in a tidy pile about 12 hours after consumption

·
Super Moderator
2,031 Posts
I recently read one of Ray and Lorna Coppinger's final books, "What is a Dog?" ($1.99 on Kindle; good bargain.) They spent a lot of time researching pariah dogs all over the world. The majority of the world's dogs survive as scavengers; it's their ecologic niche. It is amazing what dogs can survive eating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts