Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our adventures continue little Bea and I, we have passed the need for the rabies vaccine, done and dusted. What now?
I'd love to save we lived happily ever after, but we all know that isn't true, it's been a ho hum week, Bea is back to vomiting on and off, it might be because I reintroduced a treat, that is off the menu again we'll see.
For those not in the know Beatrice was diagnosed with an incredibly rare cancer June 28th 2019, oncologist recommended a boat load of treatments, that I declined to do.
I sometimes wonder if the oncologist got it wrong, it's possible because there is a fine line between Lymphangioma and Lymphangiosarcoma in diagnosis.
Is Beatrice sick? Yes, Beatrice has urinary track disease, kidney disease, her liver level are mega high, her gall bladder sludgy and more than partially blocked.
The last roundsof tests said she was worse, but
I just want to keep her happy and comfortable, but
I know one thing I will take Beatrice's lead, she is still happy, she still plays

I promised her no more poking and prodding, because just you can treat something doesn't mean you should.

Balancing out that quality of life

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
You do marvelously at keeping them well and happy. I've always pet sat for my one neighbors dogs, two years ago she lost her moxie to old age and now her retriever. He has been ill for some time, cancer plus old age (11) been on meds to stay comfortable. The last month was difficult but he was still eating and going outside though to potty, His tail always thumping away as soon as he could hear you coming. Last week I sat for the remaining dog, tied my eyes out though I knew the retriever was gone but it was the first visit since. It makes me understand some what you go thru each day. I hope Bea has many more good days you can enjoy.

·
Premium Member
13,922 Posts
I am with you, Twyla. Poppy had a wobble a month ago - not actually vomiting but off her food, which is very unusual for her. Although the cause is different, her liver symptoms in particular are very similar to Bea's. Poppy had a jab of Cerenia which really helped, together with some omeprazole as she was showing signs of acid reflux. The Cerenia comes in tablet form, too - I now have a few in the medicine chest just in case. Might not be right for Beatrice, of course, but perhaps worth an enquiry.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am with you, Twyla. Poppy had a wobble a month ago - not actually vomiting but off her food, which is very unusual for her. Although the cause is different, her liver symptoms in particular are very similar to Bea's. Poppy had a jab of Cerenia which really helped, together with some omeprazole as she was showing signs of acid reflux. The Cerenia comes in tablet form, too - I now have a few in the medicine chest just in case. Might not be right for Beatrice, of course, but perhaps worth an enquiry.
I will consult with my vet about the Cerenia, I have tablets on hand for Walter. Vomiting is or what was part of the diagnosis of gallbladder mucocele so I have to discuss that as well as maybe a better managed diet for the gall bladder

·
Premium Member
13,922 Posts
Poppy is on Royal Canin Hepatic plus chicken breast for extra protein she needs, with Destolit to thin the bile, Pred to manage inflammation, Denamarin for general liver protection and a tiny dose of metronidazole every 2.5 days to manage the digestive issues that flare up without it. Her latest bout of nausea coincided with me phasing out the metro, as I was not sure if it was actually needed - I have now decided that it is! She also gets a sprinkle of Pro-kolin enterogenic powder on every meal. Treats are home made chicken, egg and flour, and as far as possible I avoid letting her have anything else, bar the occasional cooked green bean or similar. Anything high fat or with glycerine can cause long lasting problems for her, I have found.

• Love
Reactions: Streetcar

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Beatrice is still been poorly, vomiting occasionally, sleeping a lot, but today she peed all over herself, that hasn't happened in years.
My temptation was to take her straight to the vet, but that was over ridden by "just no more".
There are moments Beatrice is so normal, so happy and silly.
Christ Beatrice is just 7, I want her to be happy.
Not sure what tomorrow will bring.
Having a bit of a cry now
Please think good thoughts for Beatrice

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
2,051 Posts
Well Beatrice is still been poorly, vomiting occasionally, sleeping a lot, but today she peed all over herself, that hasn't happened in years.
My temptation was to take her straight to the vet, but that was over ridden by "just no more".
There are moments Beatrice is so normal, so happy and silly.
Christ Beatrice is just 7, I want her to be happy.
Not sure what tomorrow will bring.
Having a bit of a cry now
Please think good thoughts for Beatrice
So sorry she's not feeling well. My prayers are with the both of you .

·
Premium Member
5,407 Posts
Twyla, you and your precious littles are always in my prayers.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
13,922 Posts
Holding you and Bea in my thoughts, and hoping for good days still to come.

Reactions: Bigbark and twyla

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beatrice is still out of sorts, I am glad I can keep an eye on her all day.

·
Premium Member
13,922 Posts
Poppy had a queasy spell a month or two back, and bounced back with the help of the Cerenia - hoping Bea also feels better soon, and that this is just a blip.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Twyla, I'll be keeping you and Beatrice in my thoughts today. I hope tomorrow is better.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have called my vet, will see what we can do. Beatrice is eating her kibble which is a prescription GI diet, normal treats she has turned her nose up at which is not like her.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beatrice threw up everything she ate since breakfast so will will head off to the vet shortly

·
Premium Member
13,922 Posts
Hoping for better news...

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We swung by home to pick up moral support Pia and Len, 2 hours of waiting ends with a shot of Cerenia, Sub Q fluids and a pack of cerenia tablets. No easy answers, Bea is sick she did lose a 1/2 pound so we treating the symptoms and will have see how it goes.
I know there is no cure, no quick fix but it's all about quality of life. This last week was rough, but that spark that makes Bea well Bea is there so we continue 💙❤, vet said Bea's not painful so she is just feeling really queasy putting her off her food, yep my Bea, who is always hungry wasn't today after breakfast.
We are home, Beatrice is resting.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts