Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what the Kennel Club has stated: "As merle is not a coat colour recognised as historically occurring in Poodles as well as most other breeds, and there is a precedent of refusing registration applications in at least ten other breeds, the Kennel Club Board has agreed that it will not accept the registration of any merle dogs with immediate effect, except in those breeds where the colour is well established."

I hope the Poodle Club of America follows suit and petitions the AKC not to register merle poodles. The reason is that since merle does not occur naturally, the color was brought in by crossing with a breed that has the merle gene.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
That would be wonderful if they did.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I didn't know this!
I've seen their are quite a few merles lately on the pets4homes site up as stud (highest priced above most of the other poodles) all but one is KC registered. It's good they have done this. They are all sorts of shapes and sizes too.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Vee are these dogs actually registered as American Kennel Club poodles? There are some "knock off" registries and their criteria are different than AKC or UKC. If you are seeing conformations that are really not to standard then those dogs are most certainly not really poodles.

Johanna this would be a good thing for PCA and AKC to come to terms on!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Vee are these dogs actually registered as American Kennel Club poodles? There are some "knock off" registries and their criteria are different than AKC or UKC. If you are seeing conformations that are really not to standard then those dogs are most certainly not really poodles.
They claim to be British Kennel club registered.
I looked into it. They aren't. The dogs KC name doesn't exist on the official Kennel club database.
Turns out something called 'dog world Kennel club' has been created and its full of Merle's and other odd colours for different breeds.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
That is what I figured would be the case.

Reactions: Vee
1 - 6 of 6 Posts