Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, Sophy, my papillon, has just had a full dental, and somewhat to her vet's surprise did not need any extractions, despite the heavy coating of tartar on her teeth. He told me that for a dog of her age (10.5), with her tiny mouth, it is unusual not to have lost at least a few, and he reckoned it was largely due to zealous brushing. Brushing won't remove tartar once it has formed, but it does help to keep the gums healthy.

There were times I was tempted to skimp, wondering if it was worth it given how bad her teeth looked. I am now glad that I persevered and would encourage everyone else to brush, especially owners of toy dogs. I am now determined to keep Sophy's teeth pearly white - a few minutes every day is time well spent!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Our vet told us that because we feed freeze dried raw, either dry or wet, that we could rub some hydrogen peroxide on her teeth a few times a week and that would be enough. His teeth do look pretty good.

Serious questions - his mouth is so little - how do you brush the teeth of a tpoo?

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Our vet told us that because we feed freeze dried raw, either dry or wet, that we could rub some hydrogen peroxide on her teeth a few times a week and that would be enough. His teeth do look pretty good.

Serious questions - his mouth is so little - how do you brush the teeth of a tpoo?
I don’t believe one second what your vet suggested will work. They need brushing, and even then they still need a dental after a few years.

I brush both my toy’s teeth. You buy a baby toothbrush and you just do it. They need to get used to it, so start slow. Mine both love it, not the brushing, but because right after they get this dental liquid that tastes good.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I need to be more vigilant with brushing. It does make an enormous difference. Hydrogen peroxide I use myself before brushing, helps keep tartar away. I probably wouldn't use it on the dog though as it doesn't taste or feel well in the mouth. The are plenty dog toothpastes now and the dogs love them. I use a bacon beef armor & hammer first round then follow up with this one Camp Chosatonga
He like it and each time is better with me brushing. My 17 year old chihuahua has really bad teeth. Lost several during a dental and now because of age and health cannot have a dental. There are times his breath can clear a room. I starting just letting him chew those virbic chews and its helping but he could have had good teeth had I brush his teeth. (I did get him when he was about 2 y ears old and even back then he didn't like handling except on his terms) I never took the time to properly train him and I regret it.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I need to be more vigilant with brushing. It does make an enormous difference. Hydrogen peroxide I use myself before brushing, helps keep tartar away. I probably wouldn't use it on the dog though as it doesn't taste or feel well in the mouth. The are plenty dog toothpastes now and the dogs love them. I use a bacon beef armor & hammer first round then follow up with this one Camp Chosatonga
He like it and each time is better with me brushing. My 17 year old chihuahua has really bad teeth. Lost several during a dental and now because of age and health cannot have a dental. There are times his breath can clear a room. I starting just letting him chew those virbic chews and its helping but he could have had good teeth had I brush his teeth. (I did get him when he was about 2 y ears old and even back then he didn't like handling except on his terms) I never took the time to properly train him and I regret it.
I could never brush my Chi’s teeth either. In the end, she only had 13 teeth left but she was happy and cute with her little tongue sticking out ! :)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Hi Mufar, Camp Chosatonga didn't come up in my search as a dog dental product? Could I ask you please for a link or more details? I need to get back on top of Oliver's teeth. Thank you :).

I do give him C.E.T. chews at times (a bit looser stools tho), and he regularly gets Whimzees with dental gel in the cavity. I do brush but not enough at all. He just hates it.

ETA, years ago I gave my Heeler-Terrier cross carrots for her teeth, and they helped a lot. My last girl didn't care for them much so we used other things. Oliver though does love them if they are young and tender; he won't eat the woody ones. This morning I gave him a whole (peeled) young carrot and he demolished it - good for teeth too.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried just about every chew, toothpaste and dental additive available in the UK over the years - as a general rule of thumb the more effective the product, the less the dogs like it! The best gel was the Petzlife one, but neither Sophy nor Poppy can bear the taste. We now use a toothpaste produced specifically for the XLVets group, which ticks most of the boxes for me (tastes nice enough to be a treat, reasonably effective, does not set like concrete when it gets onto hair). The best brushes, I have found, are children's ones with quite fat, rounded heads and a short handle - I find the small headed, long handled ones sold for dogs more difficult to control and more likely to bump the teeth and gums and hurt, which is he last thing you want.

I really messed up brushing Sophy's teeth, which is how they got so bad. With care and patience I taught her to let me clean them, then I tried to flick off a chunk of tartar with my thumbnail, got into a tussle of wills with her, and she stopped trusting me near her teeth. And when Sophy makes up her mind about something she is very, very determined!

I persuaded her to cooperate by switching the way I was thinking about it. Instead of trying to clean her teeth I set my mind to making it a pleasant acceptable experience. For a week or so she had a lick of the very nice toothpaste from my finger. Then a touch of my toothpastey finger onto her teeth. Over the weeks we built up to a few strokes of the child's toothbrush, front and back each side. A year later we are up to a full brushing - probably over a hundred strokes altogether. And she gets a neck and ear massage before, and a lick of toothpaste after, as a reward for letting me do it.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
streetcar...I am faling over laughing. I have no idea where Camp Chosatonga came from I had been on their site looking to see where it was as my friends child is going this year. LOL I thought I copiedand pasted an Amazon link to the virbic toothpaste. I've noticed a few other errors in my posts lately and will take more time in reviewing them before I hit send. I'm rushing around too much lately. Here is the proper link.

https://www.amazon.com/Virbac-CET20...og+toothpaste&qid=1561893351&s=gateway&sr=8-6

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have tried just about every chew, toothpaste and dental additive available in the UK over the years - as a general rule of thumb the more effective the product, the less the dogs like it! The best gel was the Petzlife one, but neither Sophy nor Poppy can bear the taste. We now use a toothpaste produced specifically for the XLVets group, which ticks most of the boxes for me (tastes nice enough to be a treat, reasonably effective, does not set like concrete when it gets onto hair). The best brushes, I have found, are children's ones with quite fat, rounded heads and a short handle - I find the small headed, long handled ones sold for dogs more difficult to control and more likely to bump the teeth and gums and hurt, which is he last thing you want.

I really messed up brushing Sophy's teeth, which is how they got so bad. With care and patience I taught her to let me clean them, then I tried to flick off a chunk of tartar with my thumbnail, got into a tussle of wills with her, and she stopped trusting me near her teeth. And when Sophy makes up her mind about something she is very, very determined!

I persuaded her to cooperate by switching the way I was thinking about it. Instead of trying to clean her teeth I set my mind to making it a pleasant acceptable experience. For a week or so she had a lick of the very nice toothpaste from my finger. Then a touch of my toothpastey finger onto her teeth. Over the weeks we built up to a few strokes of the child's toothbrush, front and back each side. A year later we are up to a full brushing - probably over a hundred strokes altogether. And she gets a neck and ear massage before, and a lick of toothpaste after, as a reward for letting me do it.
Thanks for sharing your routine with Sophy.

Miracle is so great with allowing me to brush her teeth but Jasper has fought it since he was a puppy. I probably haven't been patient enough with him, but he is the same when I try to groom him myself. I just bought Petzlife and was hoping I could try a gel with him. Just bought one bottle and I hope I have some success. His teeth definitely show that not brushing can lead to major dental issues.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Mufar42, thanks so much for clarifying! I use Virbac, too.

And totally understand that happening. I can't say how many times trying to edit a post something unexpected from my clipboard popped in. You are *not* alone :)!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
There is absolutely no replacement for brushing teeth when it comes to the small poodles! Bad teeth happen quickly with them! I have judiciously maintained Molly's teeth and the only time in 7 years that she had a Vet in her mouth was when she broke both upper pre molars on a bone....(on the same day!) Even then her Vet was amazed at how good her teeth looked. I too use a tiny toothbrush and found a gel that Molly loves called Fresh Breathe by TropiClean and I also spray Plaque Off on her teeth twice a week for insurance LOL!!!! I wish I could still give her bones but after that $1300.00 Vet bill I'm scared to hahaha!!! No more chicken or rib bones in this house !

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine get PlaqueOff treats every evening as well - the powder is cheaper but the treats are very convenient.

Reactions: mary2e

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Plaque off..I've forgotten about that stuff. Years ago when I had shih tau I used to give it to them with their meal every day. Come to think I never had to have a dental on them and the one lived to 17. Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find damp gauze wrapped around my finger is gentler & more flexible for small dogs
I don't use any toothpaste, someone told me they use Activated Charcoal on their dogs teeth as it absorbs bacteria

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have used a damp cloth too, Terin - I think a brush is a bit more effective at getting between the teeth, but a cloth was a very good way of getting the dogs used to the idea. The enzymatic toothpastes make a difference too, especially to their breath. Poppy's breath was foul before I became more rigorous about regular brushing...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts