Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thankful I was paying close attention. On Asher’s run today, he took a couple limping steps. I stopped him and looked at that foot. He had some blood on his foot but in all honesty most of his toes had a teeny amount of blood from stopping and running in the hard snow. I put his foot down and he stopped limping and was ready to run again so I thought he had maybe just stubbed his toe and it stung for a bit. He got one last throw of the ball then headed home.
At home I wanted to check his feet to make sure he didn’t have any bad scrapes. I took a closer look at the foot he limped on and saw he had a small ‘hole’ in between his toes. I initially thought he must have poked himself with a twig or piece of hay. He didn’t really whine or anything when I was feeling around it, but for some reason I decided to really feel around there and I thought I felt something in there!
It took quite a bit with a pair of tweezers to get out this grassy type piece that was jammed up in there! But then I gave it a good feel again and thought that there had to be more in there!
This time it took quite a bit of digging and moving his skin around and many tries but eventually I managed to grab the piece with my tweezers and pulled out this big chunk of hay!
I flushed it with some wound stuff I had so hopefully everything is cleaned out and such and there won’t be anymore issues but will be keeping a close eye on things! Can you imagine the abscess if I hadn’t checked it right away so thoroughly!

First piece

Second piece

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Wow, thank goodness you found and cleaned out his wound. That could have caused a real problem if left in there.

Poor Asher

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It was SO well hidden. Nothing was really visible through the whole (or if it was it just kinda looked like the inside of a wound). I don't know why I thought to feel around there so much. But so glad I did.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
So sorry for Asher - and good on you for figuring it out and being persistent with the removal of the painful hay. Hopefully that will be all that is needed.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Wow so good you check him throughly, who would have thought a piece of hay getting stuck in his toes. I am glad he is well now thais to his momma.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow! Good thing you trusted your gut and took another look!

It may have been a foxtail. They are HORRIBLE as the move through the fur and get stuck in the skin. They have barbs and will migrate further and further into the body. I've seen x-rays of them when they've gotten so far in that they've damaged organs!

Definitely scary and it's good to be extra cautious, especially when out in rural areas.

Edit: Thought I would post a link in case anyone was curious. This is not the x-ray I saw in the past, but it does show the danger. https://www.reshareworthy.com/foxtail-grass-can-kill-your-dogs/

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. It definitely was not a foxtail. It was a chunk of hay 'thankfully'.
It's a little swollen currently but doesn't seem to have become any more swollen overnight. I think I'll do a salt water soak in case any dirt or debris was left inside the hole and continue to keep an eye on it. It doesn't seem to both him to walk around on it or anything and he doesn't seem to be licking at it either.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update on Asher's foot. The swelling of his toe seems to have gone down. He still has a bit of a lump at the entry site, but it feels like soft tissue not anything in there UNLESS there is some stuff still in there like the first piece I took out that was quite soft.
It's still a bit uncomfortable for him for me to poke around at the entry site, but not enough that he whines or anything (though he didn't whine when I pulled the hay pieces out either so maybe he's just a stoic boy about it haha). Keeping a close eye.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Poodle feet are so cute;) That’s awesome that he lets you feel and dig around so much to help him out. Looks like you did a good job.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. His little lump around the entry site is almost entirely gone and he’s not attempting to lick at it anymore so clearly it’s feeling pretty good. I’m guessing in s couple days it will be fully healed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts