Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody!

There is a music jingle for a car donation group that Betty has always reacted to. Anytime it came on the radio, she would throw her head back and howl / yodel throughout the ad.

What does the howling mean? Does she not like the sound? Does it hurt her ears? Or does it dredge up some primitive instinct that manifests in the howling reaction? I will try to attach a video below.

Curious what you think is the reason behind the howl?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I know the dogs in my neighborhood howl when a fire truck is heard but they don't howl if it's a Ambulance, so maybe it's the 'pitch'? Can't tell why Betty is howling, but her howl is very melodic....like she's singing! LOL! It's a very nice howl hahaha!!!

Reactions: Axeldog

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Molly, haha! I know, right? The warbling sound makes me laugh.

I like to play that song once in awhile as I find her reaction amusing. I would feel really bad though, if it is making her feel bad or be anxious. I wish I knew why she does it!

I agree, I have heard dogs howl from firetrucks before. Maybe it is the pitch. I have never heard her howl, except to that jingle.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Javelin howls when I leave him in the house and my brother's old female lab mix howled every night when the whistle blew at the fire house across the street. I don't think Javvy is unhappy all that badly although his howling definitely has a complaining aspect to it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh! Raven, that is hilarious!

He would actually come and get you to have a "howl fest" with him. Hee hee!

I'm glad to hear that you dont think she seems upset. I do enjoy listening to her do it. Silly girl.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lily, how interesting that Javvy does that. But you don't think he is necessarily unhappy or distressed by being left?

I guess different dogs have their own triggers for the howl. Javvys is a situational thing, and Betty's is an audio thing.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I would say annoyed more than upset or distressed!

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
We have a piano in our entryway, and whenever someone was playing it, my late Scottie would ascend thee or four steps of hallway stairs and howl and warble along. It was hilarious and I’m sorry I never got a video of it. Glad you were able to capture Betty, singing along:)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mfmst,
Isn't that interesting how your Scottie would go up a few steps before singing along? Maybe getting on the same level as the person sitting at the piano? How cute!

I can illicit Betty's howl 'on demand'. Just have to bring up that advertisement jingle on the computer!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Betty's trill is extraordinary, and I would love to hear her accompany opera :). She is quite talented!

If it's the Kars for Kids ad, well, howling is no surprise to me. Actually, maybe it hits tones or notes which appeal to Betty, and she wants to sing along. She doesn't seem to be cringing; she seems to be accompanying. Obviously, you know her far better and I may be dead wrong! But I do love her voice.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Streetcar,
As a matter of fact, it is the Kars for Kids annoying jingle. I have to grit my teeth and endure it when I play it for Betty, LOL!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
KCBS? Since KGO's prolonged march to near oblivion, I barely listen. Mostly on weekends, and just hope to catch Pat hopefully with John R. cohosting. These days, KCBS is a constant otherwise, and recently I started hearing those commercials there again.

Betty's a fan :). You should send them that video!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh, that is so cute!

How the heck have you been, Axeldog?! I was just mentioning Betty the other day on StormeeK's thread about her new pup!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Streetcar

We moved out of California. But yes, i think mostly we heard it on KGO. One of the most annoying advertisements ever!

I just pull it up online to play it for miss Betty :).

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, that is so cute!

How the heck have you been, Axeldog?! I was just mentioning Betty the other day on StormeeK's thread about her new pup!

Zooeysmom,

It has been awhile since we have been to PF. Lots of changes in our lives over the past few months. Things are going OK, and the spoos are adjusting to their new home.

I did see your post in Stormeek's post about Aero, and wondered if there was another Betty? Since it's been so long since we have been on PF I thought maybe there could be another blue Betty!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Zooeysmom,

It has been awhile since we have been to PF. Lots of changes in our lives over the past few months. Things are going OK, and the spoos are adjusting to their new home.

I did see your post in Stormeek's post about Aero, and wondered if there was another Betty? Since it's been so long since we have been on PF I thought maybe there could be another blue Betty!

I hope the changes in your life bring you much happiness :)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It is indeed irritating. Funny how it inspires Betty's artistic side :).

I hope all is well and you are enjoying your new environs. I think of leaving, too, at times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts