Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are they in the non-sporting group? Does no one use them to hunt anymore? No wonder people think they are some kind of frou frou dog!:banghead:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I totally agree. Some breeder's still breed for hunting and a Poodle can easily can be trained for retrieval. I think they should be in the sporting group not the non-sporting. I told my husband that I would like to train a Poodle for bird retrieval and take him out to see how he does.....he was surprised. lol

I over all like AKC but something's they do are just dumb.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
When the AKC first came about breeds were divided into two groups Sporting and Non-Sporting. Then the Herding, Working and Hound come from the dogs in the sporting and the Terriers and toys came from the Non-Sporting and whatever did not if into the other groups ended up Non-Sporting. It has nothing to do with what the breed is or is not capable of doing it just did not really fit with the other breeds when they devided.

Anyway, I have found a lot of breeders who hunt with their Poodles. I think it would be fun!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't think ANY poodle should be in the non-sporting group.

We have owned many different breeds of dogs while I was growing up, we always owned at least one dog. (The most we ever owned were 5) And of all the breeds I've come to know, the poodle is the most athletic and can excel in just about any sport. Even the toy. When you think about it what is there that a poodle can’t do... other than Schutzhund - LOL
(too bad they don’t recognize “licking to death”)

:rotfl:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I think when they origionaly divided the groups poodles were no longer being used for hunting. I have noticed that it is a more reccent trend among breeder to return the breed to it orgional purpose.

Ponki, the mini poo is correctly placed in the non sporting group, though the standard poodle is up for debate. Non sporting does not refer to athlectic ability, it refers to the fact that either the dogs hunt or they don't. Another way to think of the non sporting group is (what they are thinking of changing it to anyway) the companion group. Meaning that dogs are not small enough to be considered toy breeds but are a) no longer doing what the breed was origionaly developed for, OR like in my case with the tibbies b) the dogs were not really developed for any real purpose at all that we can confirm, that is to say they were companions. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't like the term "companion" for a group because any dog can be a "companion" not just those without a propose.

They need to just leave the groups alone and just rearrange them. The new groups they have come up with make no since :stupid:

I believe when they first made the two groups Poodle were still used as hunting dogs but not by the people who showed them in breed competition.

Anyway...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm in totaly agreement, I wish they would just leave it alone. Get rid of the three cockers and have just ONE in the sporting group, maybe add the st. poo to that group.... Maybe split houds into sight and scent, I guess that makes a little bit of sense... except in the case of dauschunds.... or however you spell it...

The whole 10 group idea they are batting around sounds loco to me!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My take on things: Which group the Standard, or and size Poodle is in, is up to the Poodle Club of America, not the AKC. Grouping is used mostly for conformation. My guess is that the PCA thinks the Poodle has an advantage in the Non-sporting group. Perhaps the clips, or gooming methods(hairspray and color) would be penalized in the Sporting group? Not that I agree with that, I think the Standard Poodle belongs in the Sporting Group.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
That brings up an interesting question... I don't think that the breed club has much say in what group a particular breed is in. I think that AKC does determine that...? What is up to PCA is the breed standard. I'm going to have to do some research on that because now I am curious. I'm sure my mother will know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts