Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you tried it?? My friend gave us hers after RAVING about it to try, we gave Rio lots of treats on our first walk with it and he blew me away at how well he was "heeling"!!

Thinking about buying one of our own... would love to hear what your experiences are. Do dogs do well going back to a reg collar after the GL??

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The gentle leader was PERFECT when we first got Saffy!
She was an uncontrollable dog, and the Gentle Leader really helped us be able to control her, she literally lost control when she saw another animal

We have used it a bit with our Dobermann pup, and my grandparents spoo, and it makes them so much easier to walk, as they both pull sometimes.
It just seems to calm them down, and they literally don't pull at all

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was really amazing when we tried it, instant loose leash and staying next to me with no use of force or corrections for the dog.

Does your dog go easily from the GL back to a regular leash?? Does it still not pull now that it's been trained with a GL??

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well, what happened was, once we had made huge progress with the socialization, we stopped using the gentle leader.
So then we had to tackle the problem of tugging on the lead.
We started obedience, and so we did heelwork, and Saffy was already an obedient dog, so walking next to me came easily.

But the problem with the gentle leader is that it avoids addressing the problem of walking on lead calmly, and only works really with it on.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Several dogs come through the salon with them on, I can take them off the dogs fine, but when it comes to getting the dogs ready to go home.. I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the damn things back on. The owners SWEAR by them though!
Lol, you get used to it very quickly, they can be confusing though

·
Registered
861 Posts
We have to use one with Bella on walks or trips. Eventually we want to wean her off of it, but for now it helps a lot. Though if the kids are playing in the front with neighbor kids she still freaks out and tries to run and play with them and pulls a little. She HATES it though. Especially when freshly-shaved. I usually just take her to the groomer on a collar and leash now, though. She'll throw herself onto the grass and try to rub her face around to get it off, or against our legs. We just have to watch her to make sure sneaky-poodle doesn't do that.

The trainer told us it's just very important never to pull on them when they have it on. If THEY pull and get the 'correction' that's the point, but you should never pull them by the leash while wearing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The GL works great on Finny too! He is very strong and the GL helps me to control him. At times he will try to rub his face to get it off. Bella walks fine so I don't use it on her. I hate the way it looks though, if people aren't familiar with it, it looks like it is a muzzle to keep him from biting.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think the gentle leader is great for someone who can't handle the dog otherwise, but I think it also keeps people from training their dog to walk properly in the first place.

It's another quick-fix item like the pinch collar and easy-walk harness. It's a tool, i don't think it was designed to use forever..it's supposed to aide in the training and it can work very well for that purpose it just takes some patience.

I had to use a pinch collar on Vega for about two weeks and now he walks perfectly on a regular buckle or martingale collar.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We used the gentle leader on ProblemChild, as he is dog/new people aggressive. This was suggested to us while we were in beginners obedience with him, rather than a pinch. (As the pinch is kind of the end all, be all of "fix its" and they didn't want to get him desensitized to a pinch, especially if it didn't work.) It works very well for him, however, I don't think he will ever be able to come off of it due to his lunging.

We have used it on our terrier mix and it worked wonders, but have also taken it off for her to try and test her boundaries again. I would tend to agree with everyone that it just kind of masks the training problem. They comply with it on, but when it isn't, they're so glad to be free of it!

*also, as a side note... ProblemChild is a panter... all the time with his tongue out. Even not panting. With him lunging at people/dogs/thingshethinksarepeopleanddogs, the gentle leader clamps his mouth closed and turns his head... he chomped down on his tongue several times, and now has a little chunk missing. Doesn't seem to overly bother him, but I'm sure it hurt!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think the gentle leader is great for someone who can't handle the dog otherwise, but I think it also keeps people from training their dog to walk properly in the first place.

It's another quick-fix item like the pinch collar and easy-walk harness. It's a tool, i don't think it was designed to use forever..it's supposed to aide in the training and it can work very well for that purpose it just takes some patience.

I had to use a pinch collar on Vega for about two weeks and now he walks perfectly on a regular buckle or martingale collar.
I totally agree... I don't think it was designed to replace a regular collar & leash.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I totally agree... I don't think it was designed to replace a regular collar & leash.
I agree. The gentle leader should be used as a tool to aid in teachin the dog loose leash walking. After that the dog can be transitioned to a neck colar, be it a buckle or chain.

I started our Pyr with one and it worked wonders for him and he has been transitioned off of it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Over the years I have been training dogs I think the gentle lead or halter harness is useless.

Your dog will only walk nice when the halter is on him or her. Once you take it off they do not heel or walk nice. Dogs are smart enough to know what type of collars and leads are on them.

I used it on a variety of breeds and all of them would only walk nice with it and not good with out. I beleive in just training our dog from the start.

It all starts with letting you dogs be the leaders, if you start to change the behavior they will no longer pull. This means NO letting dog walk in front of you when you are walk through doorways. When you put the leash on for walks NO letting dog run out the door pulling. Never put leash on dog when he or she is jumping and getting excited. Only put leash on when dog sits and is calm.

Using treats to train dogs to walk right helps ( when using treats they need to be of higher value than anything you have given them so they will be super interested) I give Enzo liver for shows only or when training so that i get his attention I have also given him hot dogs ( he loves them lol)

When my bf adopted Jasmine the apbt/amstaff. I can get her to heel off leash with just food. We did the same with enzo. He does not run out the door or walk in front us us when we are going through doorways. Whe I am in the elevator I usally tell him wait and the doot withh open and he stands there and waits until i walk out first.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Over the years I have been training dogs I think the gentle lead or halter harness is useless.

Your dog will only walk nice when the halter is on him or her. Once you take it off they do not heel or walk nice. Dogs are smart enough to know what type of collars and leads are on them.

I used it on a variety of breeds and all of them would only walk nice with it and not good with out. I beleive in just training our dog from the start.

It all starts with letting you dogs be the leaders, if you start to change the behavior they will no longer pull. This means NO letting dog walk in front of you when you are walk through doorways. When you put the leash on for walks NO letting dog run out the door pulling. Never put leash on dog when he or she is jumping and getting excited. Only put leash on when dog sits and is calm.

Using treats to train dogs to walk right helps ( when using treats they need to be of higher value than anything you have given them so they will be super interested) I give Enzo liver for shows only or when training so that i get his attention I have also given him hot dogs ( he loves them lol)

When my bf adopted Jasmine the apbt/amstaff. I can get her to heel off leash with just food. We did the same with enzo. He does not run out the door or walk in front us us when we are going through doorways. Whe I am in the elevator I usally tell him wait and the doot withh open and he stands there and waits until i walk out first.
You're right there, but when you're dog is basically uncontrollable, like Saffy was, then you need something to get the control, without her damaging her throat. And I found the GL to be perfect for this, but I agree it is only temporary, and shouldn't be used forever

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
You're right there, but when you're dog is basically uncontrollable, like Saffy was, then you need something to get the control, without her damaging her throat. And I found the GL to be perfect for this, but I agree it is only temporary, and shouldn't be used forever
IMO I think people over react by saying there dogs throat will be damaged.

If you find a treat or toy that gets them excited and you train them with you you wont need to worry about them pulling or hurting their throats. I told my friend who has a pom to get her a small chain to correct her. I see no harm to her throat. I mean if you are going to choke the dog them maybe take the wind out of them but a dogs neck is generally sturdy.

I know a dogs neck can be injuried if they are running and you step on the leash to stop them that can mess up their neck. But small corrections are not going to hard nor kill your dog lol

with big dominate breeds I flank them , I flank enzo sometimes to get his attention if I am telling him to heel and he does not listen

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
IMO I think people over react by saying there dogs throat will be damaged.

If you find a treat or toy that gets them excited and you train them with you you wont need to worry about them pulling or hurting their throats. I told my friend who has a pom to get her a small chain to correct her. I see no harm to her throat. I mean if you are going to choke the dog them maybe take the wind out of them but a dogs neck is generally sturdy.

I know a dogs neck can be injuried if they are running and you step on the leash to stop them that can mess up their neck. But small corrections are not going to hard nor kill your dog lol

with big dominate breeds I flank them , I flank enzo sometimes to get his attention if I am telling him to heel and he does not listen
Saffy already had a damaged throat, and we didn't want to worsen it anymore. What I'm saying is that, without the GL, we would have had no control over Saffy whenever there was another dog around, she literally lost it , and there was no seeing sense in her eyes. The GL helped us overcome this stage, and made us able to start training her properly.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Just wanted to add this -

"Evidence show that tracheal collapse is caused by many factors including genetic predisposition of the breed, nutritional factors, neurologic abnormalities, and tracheal cartilage degeneration."

I have 2 Poms myself and by far I do not know a ton but did a lot of reading and questions in regards to this.
Because it is not always tugging, pulling and yanking that can be the root of the issue with the throat and only a symptom of a deeper issue(s) could be the health of the dog. And toy and minitures poodles I have read fall into this, but Poms have it more severly. I wonder sometimes about Coco he will do this goose sound when he gets a bath but only then never any other time.

I dont know if it's over-reacting or just being careful not to injure their throats. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I LOVE the GL and always recommend it to people who complain about their pulling dogs. Mister was naturally pretty good on a walk when i first got him at 8 months and most of our walking was off elash anyways. He now knows "heel" and will not pull but still walks with a choker incase he needs a quick reminder lol.
I however did have a huge 85 pound Lab/Pitbull! He was a beast of a dog and would flop all around when he saw another dog (aggressively actually). The GL gave me the upper hand on this monster dog and it was smooth sailing on walks.
Its a dominance thing being over their nose as well as tightens and pulls them around if they get out in front of you. Genius! Better than a halti. But you do have to have the "neck" part up high right behind the ears and pretty snug for it to work properly.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Just wanted to add this -

"Evidence show that tracheal collapse is caused by many factors including genetic predisposition of the breed, nutritional factors, neurologic abnormalities, and tracheal cartilage degeneration."

I have 2 Poms myself and by far I do not know a ton but did a lot of reading and questions in regards to this.
Because it is not always tugging, pulling and yanking that can be the root of the issue with the throat and only a symptom of a deeper issue(s) could be the health of the dog. And toy and minitures poodles I have read fall into this, but Poms have it more severly. I wonder sometimes about Coco he will do this goose sound when he gets a bath but only then never any other time.

I dont know if it's over-reacting or just being careful not to injure their throats. :)
That's interesting.
Saffy does this cough thing too, quite often actually.
Most of the time nothing comes out, but she quite often some food or, phlegm comes out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts