Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that many folks play this game already, but I think it bares revisiting especially after the long cold winter many of us have had. It snowed AGAIN yesterday and Delilah was really in need of something to do. I have not played the hide it game with her but once she got the idea, she LOVED it!

Start simple. Get a high value toy that the dog really likes. Tell the dog to STAY and put the toy out in front where the dog can see it. Say FIND IT!!! When the dog goes to get it PARTY PARTY PARTY. Really make a big deal out of it.

Next, tell the dog to STAY. Let the dog watch you move the toy around an object; the point being that the dog can not see the toy but that the dog will easily find it if it moves around the object. Say "FIND IT!". When the dog finds the toy, PARTY PARTY PARTY.

Once the dog has the idea that it is looking for the toy, you can progress in stages. Tell the dog to STAY and hide the toy under a piece of furniture. Eventually move to the point where you put the dog out of the room and hide the toy.

You want to move in baby steps so that your Poodle can be successful every time. You don't want them to get frustrated and stop working. I think with this game it is OK to repeat the FIND IT! command to generate excitement.

Last night Delilah progressed to the point where she would work the room and she could find her toy no matter where it was hidden even under a pile of other stuffie toys. This is great because she understood that she was looking for a specific toy and not just any toy!

We did this for about 30 minutes and at the end she was content to lay down and play with her toy. Proof again that exercising our dog's minds is just as important and effective as exercising their bodies.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Love it! You can also play this game with people (if the person hiding is seen as high value. :)) When I was little, I used to hide somewhere in the house and our dog would have to come find me. He would run all over the house looking and then when he found me would touch me with his nose. We all loved it, and it would keep him busy for a few minutes at least!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Wow, I just got done playing this with Vegas, lol, only I used dove wings and took them across the ground out while he was in another room, brought him in, pointed to the spot where I put the dove wing to start, said "Find." When he brought the wings back we had a party and he was very happy.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I do this with Zulee whenever we treat her with Greenies. Hubby and I hide them pretty good while she can't see where it is.

She goes crazy trying to find it, and usually gets it in a few seconds. If not, she has learned 'GO get it' (meaning it's away from me. I will also say 'COME closer' meaning she needs to come more my way. It's fun to help direct her to her treat.

To switch it up a bit, I have started pointing and giving the command 'LOOK'. I want her to know to go in the direction I point rather than looking at the end of my fingers.

Next I want to teach her left and right using the spin technique. Course her sit and down still need some work too. (She isn't real motivated if there isn't a treat involved.)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Wow, I just got done playing this with Vegas, lol, only I used dove wings and took them across the ground out while he was in another room, brought him in, pointed to the spot where I put the dove wing to start, said "Find." When he brought the wings back we had a party and he was very happy.
Awww....such a good boy!!!! :congrats:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This is a perfect game. We have seen loads of rain here for months and this would be a great activity to cure the need to GO! But can't. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts