Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Well... at least she brought it to you before chewing it! Good girl Peggy!

Misha has a version of this. We have a kitchen stool that I often train with, and he loves to "Hup" on top of it and sit for a treat. He started doing this all by himself, and so I've been using it to teach patience by making him sit still on it for a while while I do chores and then he gets a treat. But he's kicked it up a notch by sitting on the stool quietly by himself when I'm not even in the room. Sometimes nobody is even in the house and I come in and he's just sitting there looking proud of himself for being such a Good Boy. He does this all the time now. When I'm in the shower, when I'm asleep, when I'm outside. He just waits for me to return and see that he's been Good. I feel like I've created a stool-sitting monster.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... at least she brought it to you before chewing it! Good girl Peggy!

Misha has a version of this. We have a kitchen stool that I often train with, and he loves to "Hup" on top of it and sit for a treat. He started doing this all by himself, and so I've been using it to teach patience by making him sit still on it for a while while I do chores and then he gets a treat. But he's kicked it up a notch by sitting on the stool quietly by himself when I'm not even in the room. Sometimes nobody is even in the house and I come in and he's just sitting there looking proud of himself for being such a Good Boy. He does this all the time now. When I'm in the shower, when I'm asleep, when I'm outside. He just waits for me to return and see that he's been Good. I feel like I've created a stool-sitting monster.
He is the funniest, most perfect boy.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
“Look, see? I found it, I picked it up, and I dropped it. In front of you. Aren’t I a good girl? Can I have a treat now? Pleeease?”

Gotta love that retriever instinct!
Haha! It's actually pretty amazing to me that she didn't hide it away somewhere for gnawing. A toothbrush does seem like quite a Peggy treasure.

·
Premium Member
23,171 Posts
OMG don't treat stuff like that. It rewards a behavior that is not appropriate!!!!!! Drop it is fine, but go get something that isn't yours (could also be dangerous) so the dog can drop it and expect a treat is allowing your dog to train you. I would let her know she was wrong to take something that isn't hers and use it as a moment to reinforce a leave it order and then quietly take it away.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG don't treat stuff like that. It rewards a behavior that is not appropriate!!!!!! Drop it is fine, but go get something that isn't yours (could also be dangerous) so the dog can drop it and expect a treat is allowing your dog to train you. I would let her know she was wrong to take something that isn't hers and use it as a moment to reinforce a leave it order and then quietly take it away.
How do I balance that out with preventing an escalation of resource guarding?

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Peggy can defend herself by saying - It's yours. So I brought it to you. Aren't I charming and clever?

She is.
Aw. She really is. And she happily dropped it AND left it when I told her to, not even racing back to find it or guard it like she would have done in the past.

When I reflect on even just a few months ago, and how frantic she could be with found treasures, I think we're on the right track.

Of course, her beloved scrunchies would be the ultimate test....but I don't think we're ready to go there. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,171 Posts
Couple it to leave it. I don't think there is likely to be much concern with this situation and resource guarding.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Couple it to leave it. I don't think there is likely to be much concern with this situation and resource guarding.
If I'm understanding correctly, I think that's what I did here:

I was on the couch and she appeared in front of me with the toothbrush. I said drop it (she dropped it), leave it (she looked to me), go to your bed (she went to her mat).

She didn't get a treat until she was on her mat. So I was rewarding her for the sequence, rather than the initial drop it.

Then I asked for a wait, walked over to get the toothbrush, treated her again, and released her.

This is the system I've been using since her resource guarding began to escalate. We've not had an episode since, knock on wood. But I'm still very cautious.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts