Poodle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: The numbers for dog bites from 1989 - 2007 had to be extrapolated from 5 and 10 year averages due to the lack of accurate individual year numbers.
Notice the divergence around 2000. It coincides with the rise in popularity of the “Pit Bull”.
Unsurprisingly Pit Bulls now account for >75% of the yearly dog bite fatalities.
Here are your numbers for “trauma”.
In the U.S.:
<20 (on average) actually wounded every year in school shootings (often <10).
Compare to:
4.5 MILLION yearly dog bites.
>700,000 bites require medical treatment yearly.
>300,000 emergency room visits yearly.
>28,000 reconstructive surgeries required yearly.
91% of dog attack disfigurement victims in 2016 were mauled by pit bulls
6,000 - 13,000 yearly hospital admissions.
There’s absolutely no comparison.
And that’s why some people (like me) are intolerant of all of the media/political attention given to school shootings.
The “trauma” that children suffer due to school shootings is created by the media and politicians for profit and political gain.
From 2005 to 2018, Pit Bulls killed 311 Americans, about one citizen every 16 days, versus Rottweilers, which killed every 109 days.
U.S. Children Killed by Pit Bulls - Fatal Pit Bull Attacks - The Archival Record - DogsBite.org
Three pit bull attack deaths in one day mark 35 years of logging the mayhem
Newborns, infants and toddlers, ages 0-2 years old, made up 27% of all dog bite fatality victims from 2005 to 2018. The highest age specific fatality rate is infants (< 1-year), accounting for 48% of all 0-2 victims.
14-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart (2005 to 2018) - Victims by Age Groups by DogsBite.org, April 2019
During the 14-year period of 2005 to 2018, canines killed 61 infants (< 1-year). Pit bulls inflicted half of these infant deaths (30 of 61).
Over the last 6 years (2013 to 2018), pit bulls inflicted 73% of fatal dog attacks (159 of 218). This is a 22% increase from an earlier period (2005 to 2012) when pit bulls inflicted 60% of all deaths (152 of 253).
In 2018, 78% (28 of 36) of dog bite fatality victims were female, the highest count on record. Of the 10 owner-directed fatal dog attacks in 2018, 80% killed women between the ages of 28 to 64 years.
Discussion Notes - 2018 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, May 2019
“In February, Johnston told KESQ her pit bulls "are not aggressive" and speculated that a "coyote" inflicted the attack or that Bergman "self-harmed herself." Even after her four dogs brutally killed a person, Johnston claimed her pit bulls are "service dogs." Since the attack, the dogs have been in the custody of San Bernardino County Animal Care & Control. Johnston and Nelson want their pit bulls returned to them, thus a hearing will be held to determine the outcome of the four dogs”
2019 Dog Bite Fatality: Joshua Tree Woman Killed by Four Pet Pit Bulls Belonging to a 'Guest'
Virginia woman dies after being attacked by pet pit bull
Pit Bulls Maul 7-Year-Old Girl, Face 'Ripped Off' During Attack
Pit Bull Attacks Owner, Taking Off Her Limbs
Pit Bull Myths - Daxton's Friends For Canine Education & Awareness
Beau Rutledge - Daxton’s Friends
3 Pit Bulls Tragically Mauled Toddler to Death in Front of His Family
U.S. Children Killed by Pit Bulls - Fatal Pit Bull Attacks - The Archival Record - DogsBite.org
773% rise in fatal & disfiguring pit bull attacks from 2007 to 2014
32 years of logging fatal & disfiguring dog attacks
Pit Bull Kills Man Attempting To Help Owner Dying Of Heart Attack
Dogs That Bite and People That Don't Listen
Animal Control Officer Takes Bite From 80-Pound Pit Bull To Protect Kids
Pit bulls can maul children to death - but, hey, why should that stop you from owning one? - Matt Walsh
The Cult Of The Pitbull
‘But, My Pit Bull Would Never Attack’ May Be Wishful Thinking
Dangerous Dogs
Two Pit Bulls Captured After Allegedly Attacking, Killing Two Dogs Being Walked
Dog attack deaths & maimings, U.S. & Canada, 1982-2016
Pediatric dog bite injuries: a 5-year review of the experience at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
http://www.terrierman.com/mortal...
Man Could Face Gun Charges After Saving Boy
Pit Bulls Are Not Our Friends | The Walrus
Pit bull attacks leave lasting wounds, devastate families
The Problem With Pit Bulls
Mauling sends Newark 8-year-old on journey to save her arm
https://www.sunherald.com/news/l...
Woman, 85, Mauled By Pit Bull In Moreno Valley
Pet Pit Bull Mauls Pregnant Woman
Pit Bull Attack Kills Man, Critically Injures Elderly Mother
https://www.sunherald.com/news/l...
Pit bull owner gets 15 years to life in prison after his guard dogs mauled a woman to death
Woman loses both arms, eye after pit bull attack
Brutal injuries of girl, 5, after two raging pit bulls left her with a shattered jaw and her eyeball hanging out of its socket
Susan Iwicki – Daxton's Father
Florida baby's death begs the question: Why would anyone own a pit bull?
Pit bull mauls 2-year-old boy at pet adoption event
Mom Bites Off Dog's Ear To Rescue Daughter
Dog Mauls 9 Children Out On Elementary School Playground
Mom tries to slit pit bull's throat to stop it mauling baby to death
Pit bull mauls 2 kids strapped in minivan car seats
Pit Bulls Snatch Boy, Four , From Mother’s Arms And Maul Child To Death - ‘They Just Ate Him’
3 Pit Bulls Maul Calif. Mom and 3-Year-Old Son: 'Worst Thing I've Ever Seen in My Life'
Pit bull saved from ‘death row’ mauls teen on first day home
Dog that killed 3-year-old Oklahoma girl had been in home less than a week
Three pit bulls maul ‘homeless' teen boy to death just a day before his 16th birthday
8-month-old baby girl dies after she was attacked by pet dog in Florida
Family of vicious Bronx pit bull who ripped into girl’s neck wants their beloved pet back: sources
Eyewitness to tragic death of pit bull steps forward
Unpredictable Aggression In Pit Bulls & Fighting Breeds
Why Breed Matters in Service Dogs and Why Pit Bull Service Dogs are a Bad Idea
Scared of Pit Bulls? You’d Better Be!
Losing in Aurora, pit bull advocates set their dogs on us, Blue Buffalo, & Home 4 the Holidays
Statistics of pit bull attacks and deaths by state, BSL by state
How many other animals did pit bulls kill in 2014?
Pit bulls kill 29 cats at Alabama shelter: "These dogs just went on a rampage"
Pit Bull Attack Victims - Who Speaks for Them?
National Pit Bull Victim Awareness
Mother Lies to Protect Pit Bull Who Bit Child
“Pit Bull Lovers” CAN JUST KEEP THEIR BULL**** TO THEMSELVES.
I get tired of hearing how YOUR pit bull is a lover and “licks you to death”.
Your dog doesn’t “LOVE” you…
Your dog isn’t “kissing” you…
You’re too stupid to realize that it’s a sign of anxiety.
You’re too stupid to realize that you’re being dominated.
If your dog won’t stop licking you on verbal command…
If you can’t eat in front of your dog before it’s fed without being pestered…
If you can’t remove food from your dog while he’s eating…
If you can’t take a toy out of your dog’s mouth…
If your dog won’t heel, on or off a leash…
If your dog pushes past you to get through a doorway first…
If your dog lunges at people or other dogs…
YOU AREN’T THE ALPHA!
And IF you ARE the ALPHA:
Your wife isn’t.
Your mother isn’t.
Your daughter isn’t.
You’re just as stupid as the “victims” who thought the same way as you do.
You’re too stupid to be a responsible pit bull owner.
You’re probably too stupid to actually own any type/breed of dog.
Your dog may just literally “lick you to death” someday.
You’re a “statistic” waiting to happen.
Recognizing Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
What Does Constant Licking of a Person Mean to a Dog?
This is how they will lick you to death
You can take your fake “service dog” crap and stuff it.
http://pitbullregistry.com/Pit%2...
How the Americans with Disabilities Act has become the “Pit Bull Pushers Act”
https://www.fidofriendly.com/blo...
We See You, Fake Service Dog Owners
Aurora to decide fate of pit bull service animal impounded after escaping family home
Service Dog Attacked by ‘Fake’ Service Dog on the Sacramento Light Rail
Pompano Beach pit bull attack raises concerns & unanswered questions.
Pit bull service dogs?
Misuse, misunderstanding of service dog law create troublesome gray area
Yakima pit bull attacks three, another dog
Emotional Support Animal or "Fake" Service Dog Attacks - You Could Be a Victim
Pets Becoming Fake Service Dogs Is Starting to Be an Issue
Not a service breed
10 Signs That a “Service Dog” is Actually a Fake
I’ve given you facts.
“Pit bull lovers” will feed you bull****.
Your choice as to what to believe.:amen:

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
You obviously did a LOT of work on this... thank you for sharing it all! I want to say one thing, and then I'll move on. I just think calling people stupid could be done with nicer words... ignorant, dense, etc.

Anyway, I cannot tolerate pit bulls either. I think that in the dog world, they are the ugliest dogs... both inside and out. I believe they have no place in society, and breeding them needs to be banned so the breed becomes extinct. That is my dream. I get so upset at the shelters here: there are so many pits and pit mixes that take up all the kennel space. I don't understand what makes them put other breeds or mixes down because of no room, and keep all the bad ones in the shelter. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Every couple - few weeks, we hear about another dog attack. It is ALWAYS pit bulls or pit mixes. Why can't people get that through their heads? There is an aspca commercial on tv where they went and took fighting pits away from someone. Yes, they were treated very badly, but then the announcer says.. ".... they can be adopted into loving homes." and it shows a pic of a child with a dog. Really? Adopted? Fighters? That's just crazy thinking.

Ok, I could go on and on about how much I hate pits, but I won't... I have better things to do with my time.

Thanks for doing all the work!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
There is a flaw in your reasoning.
Now I'm a poodle owner, but also a professional groomer and trainer for many years. Your acting like it's the BREED that is the issue, it's not. Once that breed is banned, guess what? Same people are going to get cane Corso, doggo argentino, etc.
So it's just the popularity and the type of people who want it. Doesn't help that they naturally have a stronger jaw so their bites do more damage. But I would take a well bred pitty or staffy over many other breeds anyday. Most genetically sound examples of the breed are nice to train, just want to play tug, .
Where I grew up in northern bc everyone owned a " Rottweiler" I say that with quotes cause they were not well bred, they were all black and tan with tail cut off, we had constant issues with aggressive dogs going out of their way to come after us. Even had one come to our acreage in it's own and wouldn't let any of us out of house. I had to use a baseball glove to cover the muzzle if attacking dog to shove it off the 8 ft deck drop off ( no railing).
So after that I used to hate Rottweiler. Then I house sat for a breeder. And discovered the difference in truly well bred dogs.

And as a groomer I have to say they're are way way way more bites from little Yorkie/ schnauzer/ Shihtzu/ shepherds/ whatever. But people are not obsessing over the breed to actually make note of them. But the little breeds outbite the big ones.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I still think it’s the breed. At some point something just snaps in their head and then a dog or child is killed or mauled.

I’ll compare it to another breed I’ve had experience with. Chihuahuas. They tend to bond with only one person in a household. They are vicious if someone comes near their person. (People let it go because they are tiny and they think it’s cute). Chi’s can have many different neuroticisms. Even the best bred. It is an innate flaw. They, however get away with much more than a pit because of their size. Their behavior would never be allowed if the were 40-80 lbs.

I think pits are truly different than the rest of the dog world, and shoul only be owned by people who are extremely experienced with breeds who are very strong willed, and like to fight, go against the rules, guard their owner with enough aggression to kill, etc. They truly are different. The saying “don’t bite the hand that feeds you” doesn’t seem to apply to them. They could be with an owner 5 years or more, and a simple challenge turns into a fight for life.

My downstairs neighbor had a pit, and if I dared to come out of my door when he was outside, (at least on a leash, TG), he would immediately run towards me in an extremely aggressive way. The owner could barely hang on to his leash, and too many times almost drug his owner with him. Their household had a baby. OMG! I was so afraid for my safety I turned him into
Every place I could think of. Police, animal control, and the board of directors here. They moved out in the middle of the night before animal control could come take that dog away the next day. And mind you, I was not the only person this dog was aggressive towards. Many, many others. They’ve just got their own agenda. I have met pit bulls who were sweet. But only for a while. I agree with the OP here. Leave them.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
“Pit Bull Lovers” CAN JUST KEEP THEIR BULL**** TO THEMSELVES.
I get tired of hearing how YOUR pit bull is a lover and “licks you to death”.
Your dog doesn’t “LOVE” you…
Your dog isn’t “kissing” you…
You’re too stupid to realize that it’s a sign of anxiety.
You’re too stupid to realize that you’re being dominated.
If your dog won’t stop licking you on verbal command…
If you can’t eat in front of your dog before it’s fed without being pestered…
If you can’t remove food from your dog while he’s eating…
If you can’t take a toy out of your dog’s mouth…
If your dog won’t heel, on or off a leash…
If your dog pushes past you to get through a doorway first…
If your dog lunges at people or other dogs…
YOU AREN’T THE ALPHA!
And IF you ARE the ALPHA:
Your wife isn’t.
Your mother isn’t.
Your daughter isn’t.
You’re just as stupid as the “victims” who thought the same way as you do.
You’re too stupid to be a responsible pit bull owner.
You’re probably too stupid to actually own any type/breed of dog.
Your dog may just literally “lick you to death” someday.
You’re a “statistic” waiting to happen.
Recognizing Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
What Does Constant Licking of a Person Mean to a Dog?
This is how they will lick you to death
You can take your fake “service dog” crap and stuff it.
Holy Sh!t! You sound like some kind of a nut. How very rude and insulting your post is! Calm down and get a grip.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
There is a flaw in your reasoning.
Now I'm a poodle owner, but also a professional groomer and trainer for many years. Your acting like it's the BREED that is the issue, it's not. Once that breed is banned, guess what? Same people are going to get cane Corso, doggo argentino, etc.
So it's just the popularity and the type of people who want it. Doesn't help that they naturally have a stronger jaw so their bites do more damage. But I would take a well bred pitty or staffy over many other breeds anyday. Most genetically sound examples of the breed are nice to train, just want to play tug, .
Where I grew up in northern bc everyone owned a " Rottweiler" I say that with quotes cause they were not well bred, they were all black and tan with tail cut off, we had constant issues with aggressive dogs going out of their way to come after us. Even had one come to our acreage in it's own and wouldn't let any of us out of house. I had to use a baseball glove to cover the muzzle if attacking dog to shove it off the 8 ft deck drop off ( no railing).
So after that I used to hate Rottweiler. Then I house sat for a breeder. And discovered the difference in truly well bred dogs.

And as a groomer I have to say they're are way way way more bites from little Yorkie/ schnauzer/ Shihtzu/ shepherds/ whatever. But people are not obsessing over the breed to actually make note of them. But the little breeds outbite the big ones.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

With hysteria, there usually is a flaw. And what kind of source do those statistics come from? Is it legit? Do they also have an agenda? Does anyone really know? No doubt in my mind that many dog bites and terrible ones come from this type of dog. But as you said Itza, there are plenty of other breeds that have bitten and killed people. Why is the hysteria reserved for only this kind of "breed?" Because of potentially flawed statics that no one can verify?

Owners of dogs that bite, regardless of breed or breed type need to be held accountable and punished severely. Period. Banning pit bulls is not likely going to make much, if any difference.

The feeling of hate toward an animal is something I can't compute in my mind. And to see a member here projecting that hatred of an animal onto humans is jaw dropping and scarier quadrupled. :afraid:

Reactions: Phaz23

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
https://bestfriends.org/stories-blog-videos/latest-news/10-years-three-vicktory-dogs-and-one-incredible-journey

For all the grim statistics, take a look at Michael Vick's dogs after they were adopted and cared tenderly for. This is not meant for you, Eric, as I see you're out of your head with hatred. That in itself is very unfortunate indeed. This is for people with a heart and mind that can bend and see a different picture along with the negative...for people who will read and look at pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a small dog owner, and personally I don't love pitbulls in general (nor I intend to ever get one of them since I prefer much more easier breeds that will allow me to chill out a bit when I have them on leash), but I would not stigmatize this kind of dogs in any way: I do have friends that love the breed and have throughly studied and bred it for years so I have grown to admire them in some ways. Pitbulls are great sporting dogs, that can perform in an amazing variety of disciplines that are not accessible to other "normal" dogs. They are extremely athletic and powerful: a female pitbull owned by a breeder that I know kept a toy in her mouth and hanged from a tree suspended only by the force of her jaw for like 2 hours when she was almost 9 y.o. They are super dogs in many aspects but they are also extremely misunderstood by the majority of the people and the press. In my opinion, the first and main problem with this breed is that pitbulls tend to attract the wrongest people: people that get them trying to compensate their lack of something (maybe we could ask Freud about what 'something' is) with their "bad and dangerous dog" attitude and fame, or people that get them without being conscious that they are not like any other normal dog. AT ALL. When you get a well bred American pitbull, you must know that your dog will have an extremely high predatory instinct that will drive in whenever something small, fast and noisy (little kids, cats or small dogs are just like that) run in front of its nose making them desiring to chase it and possibly kill it (children are often bite for this very reason). In addiction to this, you will have to know that pitbulls do not get along with others dogs: they are genetically bred to dislike them so even if you choose a pair male+female you can never be 100% sure that they won't attack each other in the future. A friend of a friend had a litter of purebred APT and the male puppies attacked each other at three months old: he is an experienced breeder and when I asked him why it happened he said that events like these are completely normal in the brees. All the thing I've said so far are not facts that depend on how these dogs are risen as puppies or on how much love/time/efforts you spend in educate them: these traits are deeply linked to their genetics and are unavoidable, so you can never eradicate them but only trying to keep'em at bay trying to prevent any kind of dangerous situations. For these reasons, pitbulls do need an extremely responsible owner that knows the breed and what he/she will get in order to make their incredible qualities go shine minimizing the negative ones. Since they are very powerful dogs with very strong jaws (although weighting around 20-25kg), Pitbulls are not dogs that can be walked lighthearedly around the block with absolute ease or, worse, off leash: with them you need to stay aware of your surroundings every time or sooner or later someone might get hurt. You need to worry and be sure that the leash you have chosen is strong enough to hold them when they pull, that the command "leave it" is well taught, and you need also to know that you could never get the chance to take your beloved dog at a friend's house if this friend has another dog on his/her own (think about deciding to go living together with your bf/gf that has another dog). Said that, we should also agree to the fact that any dog can possibly bite (and that every larger dog breed can also hypothetically kill us with relative ease): they are animals that act according to instincts and that live in a world made of smells, sounds and mimics that we could never fully understand. Since dogs don't recognize the categories of good and evil, whenever a dog attacks, bites or growls, humans should always search for a rational reason that will be present almost every time although hidden to us.
By the way Labradors and not pitbulls are nowadays the breed that is responsible of the highest percentage of bites on humans.

Love, a mini-dachshund owner from italy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.