Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I love my spoo puppy, Pasta - but let me tell you raising a puppy is a lot of work. I had visions of a calm, obedient dog who would/could go with me everywhere and would curl up on the couch and watch TV with me at night. I'm hoping to get some reassurance from those who have gone through the puppy stage that the dream is still possible!

He's 5 months old and hyperactive with dominant tendencies! I've learned that he's not to go on the furniture, make him give us our space, not walk in front, etc, etc. Never thought there would be so much involved! I find that a lot of the time I'm so worried about "being the pack leader" that I'm afraid to give him too much love or affection because I might do something "wrong". There's so much training and correction involved that I'm waiting for the enjoyment to start. Am I the only one that feels this way??

I want to (and do) bring him to the parks with us (and my 4 year old) but he is such a handful that I find myself dreading it sometimes - it's exhausting. I feel we are making progress, though. He did puppy kindergarten and does sit, stay, and heel pretty well. We just signed up for private basic obedience lessons. I really want to have a nice dog that I can just relax and enjoy. I want him to pass the Canine Good Citizen test. All the neighbors think he is crazy (hyper) and say "you have your hands full with that one." I want to show them wrong! (And it's a little embarrasing.)

I do feel that we are on the right track and doing everything we can but like I said, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance from those that have been there, that things will get better/easier. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ahhhh, puppyhood can be exhausting, but so much fun too! It sounds like you are doing everything right, but poodles are active dogs and need a lot of exercise and stimulation both mental and physical. My motto is: "a tired puppy is a happy puppy". My Spoos get two walk/play/run/fetch stints at the dog park every day and they are 5 and 3.5 years old. My kids are older, so it's easier to find time and they also take turns taking them. Does he like to play with other puppies or fetch a ball? That alone can release a lot of energy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Where are you located? I have a boy that sounds just like yours. (I've posted on here about him). I just keep plugging along like you are. His parents are calm so I'm holding out hope that as he matures he will calm down.
His sister (half sister) is totally the opposite. She is calm, sits by my feet, follows me everywhere and rides in the car well. And she is five months younger (She is 6 months and he is 11 months). So I do think that some spoos just have different temperments.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Some spoo's calm down, some don't for years, it just depends on them and their personalities. I would highly recommend training for sure, make sure he walks NEXT to you not in front, waits for the door to be opened and invited in, and sits before he gets any lovein'. This hyper time may pass sooner then you think, one day you may wake up and all the sudden the hyper little ball of energy will suddenly, be the picture perfect model citizen. I hope things get better for you! Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts