Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I am the sort of person that enjoys planning (lol!!) and now that I'm done with the national competition, I am planning ahead for next year, when I will be sitting my poodle (non sporting group) exam.

For the exam we have to shave a pattern into the dog. Most, from what I've seen, do the dutch trim, or a variation of it. I am thinking of doing the "desi" trim on Paris.... It is in Shirlee Kalstones book, I'd never heard of it before I got the book though! lol! It is essentially the shaved band around the belly like a dutch, except it's curved around the ribs, making it much more styley! heh

And before I go and shave a band around her belly (having never set a pattern int a dog before I'm a little dubious still!) I decided to draw on her photos to give myself an idea of what I'm doing....

I tightened up her rear angulation and top line in the pic too. I have built up her tuck up in hair at the moment, so of course when I shave a band around there it'll come back up again, so I had to black that out a bit too. lol.

So I look at it for ages (squint a bit, it looks better then. lol!) and I figre she needs more neck hair to really pull it off.... and of course I'll be growing her ears out, and her tail into a pom pom.... and so i started drawing again....

LMAO! I'm not sure I want to actually grow out *that* much neck hair, but gosh it does look like fun! heh She could do with more leg hair etc too, but I left it at that for now...

Now to get up the guts to actually shave it in! lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I know there are rules for competition, but I actually like the first pic better. Both look awesome, but I really like the ears and neck of the German trim.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Personally, I LOVE the German trim, but you did a great job on the photo work! :biggrin: You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it! But she's a whole lot skinnier than I gave her credit for, so I'm not sure how well it'll work. Ahh well!

I gave her front legs a very light 'bell bottom' look (mainly cos I couldn't be bothered trimming all her legs! lol!) I just gave her front end a light shaping to bring it together a bit more (still wanna tweak a bit more yet) and trimmed her butt end a fair bit cos it was far too poofy! lol. Obviously her tail needs to grow out more, but I figured she had just enough to pull it off for now!! lol.

I think the line needed to be forwards (more towards her head) a touch? That'd have helped the scrawny tum too ;)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think it looks great, I like the way the shaved bit is in line with the line from her leg, it will look better once she gets more of a pom pom tail, and more neck hair,

also jw, how do you post pictures with the picture as part of the post and not as an attachment at the bottom? Like you have done above

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think she looks gorgeous.
You did a great job.
I bet this would look great on Gunther..and maybe people would stop thinking he is a 'she'.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another pic, from above, showing the 'V' it makes on her back:

(she's sniffing the ground, it makes an odd angle of her head & neck, but ah well! lol)

Jak, to post the pic in the post, copy the "IMG code" box on photobucket, it'll be the link with a wee code infront & behind it. Paste that in, and it'll post the photo when you hit post. :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
another pic, from above, showing the 'V' it makes on her back:

QUOTE]

Thanks for that, it's always nice to see those details at helpful angles. I really stink at getting a striaght line around the middle on my girl Jazz. She seems determined to lean ever so slightly and bow her body to one side, (grooming isn't her favorite) and if I'm not paying close enough attention LoL.... Well you get the idea. When I first started the lion trim on her with a snap on comb because she was to short to scissor at the time I made that mistake and end up with a line that was kind of off centered to say the least. I guess the skewed line kind of fit my personality which my husband for some reason seems to think is a little off center as well lol.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha!! Yeah I had to put paris on the ground and let her shake about and do a few twirls so I could see it properly from above, and sure enough I'd made it off-center and had to fix it! Luckily she's good to groom even on the ground, so i stood her up while I fixed it from directly above her with scissors before going back to the table and being fixed properly :p

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm considering trying this on Dodger... im horrible at scissoring, i guess this would be a good time to practice.

I'm wondering if on the rear part if I could save time by using a C-snap to square it off and blend from there down to the legs and such.

It's a beautiful trim, Dodger needs more hair to work with on her topknot as I recently took it down quite a bit but her body hair is about the same in this photo.

Any advice would be appreciated as i've never done anything like this before.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know what length the 'C' comb is, but you certainly can use a comb to set lengths!!

On Paris' back end, I actually use a 5F blade down from the pin bone, down the curve of her back legs to scoop our her angulation. You can see it being fairly short, from her pointy lil butt downwards here too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veWf869E6FQ
lol!

I did scissor the rest of her back end, but it'd be easy to use a comb or something over it too, I did it fairly short, perhaps no more then 3/4" ontop/across her hips, a little longer, but still similarly short, down the sides of her upper legs (when I've used a comb on her back legs; I do it in a similar 'line' as you'd do on the back leg of a schnauzer actually, though the 'line' is a little higher) and filling out from there down...

If you want any specific photos of whatever, let me know! She's due for a proper trim again, she's really only had one trim since I set the pattern in 9 weeks ago, and just been bathed otherwise. So if there's anything in paticular you want, I can try to record it as I do her next time.... (though note I am trying to grow the actual shaved band out at the mo, to see how long it'll take to do so, but I'll be grooming her the same otherwise!)

FD

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Oh she's so pretty! I can't get over how beautiful your dog is. Looks like she has a really nice thick coat to work with too.

That's one thing I worry about Dodgers coat when doing certain patterns her hair is so soft and not coarse at all.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hahaha, Paris' coat down her sides is cotton soft, and mats up fast. She has wonderful coarse coat over her withers, a little along her back & up her neck, but in general, the rest is a pain in the butt to scissor and keep nice. It looks nice cos it's long and fluffed! So there's certainly hope for your girl!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Great to see how you play with the photos before the trim and what you are going for. I think the trim turned out well. Good job.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Hey FD, now that I look at this again I am curious what you used to shave the line. I'm assuming it was a regular width balde? I could re-read the instructions in the kalstone book if I wasn't a lazy *itch tonight and I wondered how wide the line was supposed to be. I was thinking it was more like the width on a toe blade. You know what I'm talking about right? Anyway is there a set width or is it creatively up tot he groomer?

God help me I'm thinking about trying the sweetheart on Jazz this weekend or next week and putting little rinestones in the diamond. Was going to take her down to mainstreet for our town's christmas parade on the 5th. Hummm maybe one last dye job would be in order lol. Would be a good way to market my new salon :) Hahahaha assuming I don't muck it up ROFL. If I do I guess Wonder will get to go instead, though she's not nearly as impressive as a bit "white" standard.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually started the line with a toe blade, but ended up going with a regular width blade, cos she had so much hair that the lil toe blade line was like a canyon hiding in the fur!! lol. I was scissoring the overhanging hair so much to show that narrow line that I ended up widening the line. :p

I gave her a brush & scissored a bit today, basically re-did her ass end (5F down the back, scissored the rest), and tidied up her jacket & tail pom (it's turning into a proper pom now!), then decided to give her bell-bottom legs... I didn't touch her neck or topknot though.

she's not bathed & fluffed either, just brushed out from her bath a week ago.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts