Poodle Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,619 Posts
As I think common sense suggests if you have poisoned your recall you have to reteach it with no chance to fail. You start with the dog sitting right in front of you on a 6 foot leash and use the best cookie right on the dog's nose to get him/her moving with you as you back away. You have to stick at that point until the dog really gets it that moving towards you is going to be paid really well. Here is a place where I don't worry about fading the treat. I always pay my dogs for recalls some way or another. After you can do that in a number of different low distraction locations on a 6 foot leash then you can use a longer leash. I suggested today the the owner just make a longer leash using two leashes clipped together to give an intermediate length. For the dog I worked with today they also need some foundation attention work. The dog clearly likes his owner but doesn't respect her enough. He needs to learn to pay better attention to her and she needs to be clear that her orders are not asks.

She is on board and has had many dogs over the years. She is lucky that this one has a nice personality. I also hope she noticed that I got more attention out of her than she seems to have. I gave her homework to do and I suspect she will do it. She is retired, so lack of time will not be an excuse.

Reactions: Vita
21 - 21 of 21 Posts