Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Labradoodle pioneer regrets fashioning 'designer dog' | The Australian

The coveted accessory has pushed out other breeds in terms of desirability.

See: Making oodles

Wally Conran, 81, coined the term labradoodle in 1988, when he was the manager of the puppy program at the Royal Institute of the Blind.

He received a letter from a woman in Hawaii who needed a seeing eye dog, but her husband had allergies. She wanted a dog that would not shed hair.

Mr Conran crossed two popular pedigree dogs: a labrador from breeding stock at the institute and a poodle owned by his boss to create the labradoodle.

The puppies were supposed to have the best traits of both dogs: the affable, controllable nature of the labrador, and the curly, non-shedding coat of the poodle.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"But now when people ask me, `Did you breed the first one', I have to say, `Yes, I did, but it's not something I'm proud of'," Mr Conran said.

"I wish I could turn the clock back."

The labradoodle is now recognised as the first of the so-called "designer dogs", selling for more than $1000 a puppy. In essence, it is a mutt, or mongrel, yet it has raced ahead of pedigrees in terms of price and desirability.

Some pet shops report mongrels outselling pure-breds three to one, despite the high price of both.

As a result, labradoodles and their cutely named cousins -- spoodles, schnoodles, cavoodles, moodles, groodles and roodles -- are being pumped out across the nation, to meet demand

"I'm not at all proud of my involvement in it," Mr Conran said. "But the genie's out of the bottle, and you can't put it back."

His dismay isn't shared by breeders of the curly cross-breeds, who say they are merely meeting demand for a family-oriented, non-shedding dog of compact size, and happy temperament.

Nicolette Gallagos, of Australian Labradoodle Association, said: "Labradoodles are family-oriented dogs. They are perfect for families that want a dog that is good with children."

The association has set a breed standard for itself, and hopes the dog will soon be recognised as a breed by the Australian National Kennel Council.

The process may take 20 years. It has been so long since a new breed has been added to the Kennel Council's register that nobody can remember when it last happened.

Once recognised, the labradoodles will be able to enter shows, and win prizes.

The rise in popularity of the mutts angers pedigree breeders, who complain that cross-breeders are exploiting the fad for money, and forcing pedigree bitches to give birth to dozens of cross-bred pups every year.

The article linked on that page is a good read too:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/making-oodles/story-e6frg8h6-1225860114820

Their logic would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic.
Mix a "scatterbrained" spaniel w/ a "neurotic" Poodle and you get a great dog. Mix a Rottweiler "that will eat you children" w/ a "neurotic" Poodle and you get a "great babysitter."

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
and the poodle is among the smartest of breeds so it still bears asking WHY didt he just use a poodle? why did he need a lab at all?

oh well, makes some people alot of money even with the crummy economy... *shrugs* then again some ppl are breeding purebred dogs for the same reason. $$$$$

btw, what are spoodles?? i call my girls spoodles all the time thinking i am just shortening it, kind of like spoo.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
in the article it says he tried training the "poodle" 33x's and after the 33rd time he gave up on the it but couldn't give up on the client
I didn't read mention anywhere of a 'standard' poodle

aren't they supposed to be the more seeing eye dog/service dog? versus the mini/toy?

and for all the doodle people that came on here and said "I bet the lab people don't care like you do >:O "
Jill Poholke of the Labrador Retriever National Breed Council is of the same mind. “We are absolutely, completely anti breeding these ugly dogs,” she says, adding: “There is no such thing as a labradoodle, or spoodle, or any other oodle. None of them exists. Forget what the breeders tell you, they aren’t a new breed of dog. There is no standard. They are crossbred dogs with fancy names that people are paying a ridiculous amount of money for.”

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
in the article it says he tried training the "poodle" 33x's and after the 33rd time he gave up on the it but couldn't give up on the client
I didn't read mention anywhere of a 'standard' poodle
I mention this in another doodle thread. These doodle people most likely start off with POOR quality dogs in the first place and they get this bright idea I will cross these dogs to make a better one. I bet if all of these doodle breeder had a top quality poodle with CORRECT temp I bet they would NEVER dream of crossing them.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
another thing...
o.o
if the poodle was so un-trainable why did he breed it?

I think he should feel remorseful about what he caused ((even though it probably would have happened eventually v.v; ))

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
another thing...
o.o
if the poodle was so un-trainable why did he breed it?

I think he should feel remorseful about what he caused ((even though it probably would have happened eventually v.v; ))
hahah good one Keith ! That is a very good question !

·
Registered
752 Posts
I heard that they had a hard time with standard poodles as guide dogs because they were too obedient. If their handler told them to walk forward, but there was traffic there, they had a hard time disobeying the handler and standing their ground. They would balk at following the command, and then give in, obey the command, and walk into traffic. I have no idea if there's any truth to this, or if it's just urban legend. It's just what I've read.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm guessing a spoodle would be a spaniel x poodle.
yup, though more specifically a spoodle is what we (NZ and probably Australia too) call an english cocker X poodle, and they are as common here, as cockapoos are in america (ie loads of them!)

Side note; english cockers are *everywhere* here, and are what we call 'cocker spaniels' [no 'english' in front, even on the kennel club breed standard] and american cockers are few and far between and are specifically called 'american cocker spaniels' here.
I know when americans are talking about 'cockers' you're talking about american cockers, whereas if you came over here, 'cockers' means we're talking about english cockers! Hence I *think* the difference between the spoodle [cocker X poodle] and cockapoo [also a cocker X poodle] is the english vs american cockers....

·
Registered
14 Posts
At a dog show a few weeks ago, I was approached by a woman who commented that she breeds Labradoodles and my dog had the perfect color - would I be interested in the breeding? Ummmm - NO! Explained he hasn't started testing AND I have no interest in crossbreeds. She tried to convince me otherwise, I was very politely dismissing her and finally had to say, "I'm afraid you aren't listening, I'm NOT interested". I'm surprised someone would come to a purebred dog show and ask to be a part of breeding mutts!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
A bit off topic, but I loved this post I recently found on the a Doodle breeder's forum. The topic was about price and whether breeders were sticking to the conventional $2500 price for Australian Labradoodles:

I am a new breeder and this is my first litter. They are only 3 weeks old and I have not sold any, but my asking price is $2500. I also have that price as listing price in my stud agreement to keep the price of the puppies up. ....... I hope that breeders are sticking to a price around this since I am obligated by contract to ask that price and I hope that sales for everyone continue to go well.

Wow! Price fixing. I wonder if Doodle buyers know this?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Wow! Price fixing. I wonder if Doodle buyers know this?
nope...because they're usually uneducated about what they're buying or in some cases don't really care because a "cute" dog is well worth 2500$ o_O

·
Registered
125 Posts
With that line, I just had this 'Brave New World' vision where the puppy millers organized, got dogs classified legally as 'livestock', & incorporated & starting selling public shares.

"DoodlesInc has climbed 15 points today in an unprecedented jump, widely attributed to increased sales amongst the coveted 'tween' crowd, attributed to when Justin Bieber posed with his GoldenDoodle, "Jumpy", on the cover of the July Rolling Stone. Production has been increased 5%, & investors are lining up to cash in, betting that the 'Doodle' craze has not yet peaked."

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
With that line, I just had this 'Brave New World' vision where the puppy millers organized, got dogs classified legally as 'livestock', & incorporated & starting selling public shares.

"DoodlesInc has climbed 15 points today in an unprecedented jump, widely attributed to increased sales amongst the coveted 'tween' crowd, attributed to when Justin Bieber posed with his GoldenDoodle, "Jumpy", on the cover of the July Rolling Stone. Production has been increased 5%, & investors are lining up to cash in, betting that the 'Doodle' craze has not yet peaked."

:pound: Great poke! Too bad it is all so sad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts