Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I went to my niece’s wedding in Philadelphia. The weather was “iffy”, and I bought a small umbrella, which I zipped in one of the exterior pockets of my suitcase. My theory is that if you have an umbrella when there is only a chance of rain, it doesn’t. Which proved true for the whole weekend, although I unpacked it and was ready.

I prefer to check my bag rather than fight people for overhead bin space. TSA has checked my bag in previous flights and they leave a note which they did this time when I opened it in Philly. I have given up my biometrics for Global Entry/ Trusted Traveler status, feel free to search my bags
I submit to it all, because that is the way it is if you travel these days. And DO wash your hands or sanitize them after handling the containers in the security line.

When I unpacked my suitcase this morning, all my wedding guest finery was there, no TSA note, but no umbrella! I was upset, fumed about it to DH and he said, “Report it. They should know”. Called American Airlines and they took it seriously. Really. The agent I spoke with said he had had special candies that he had gotten for his mother from Sweden taken from his bag. For international travel he uses colored ties, rather than the TSA friendly locks He had had suitcase zippers destroyed in international travel with those and says he will know if his bag has been opened because they have to match the unique color of his zipper ties. Oh wow, I never even thought of TSA locks or ties, just trusted. That trust was broken over a cheap umbrella. I feel so much better now that I have reported it and that the AA rep didn’t minimize my tiny umbrella. It has a case number:)

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Some people just stink. I am glad the airline was user friendly on it. BF's mother is always complaining that the nurses aides are thieves. some stuff she may lose but when these people rob elderly sick people in a nursing home that is the lowest one can sink.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the curbside check in people in Philadelphia. They have plenty of time, since you have to arrive so early for flights. Catherine, I believe your BF’s mom. Two of my mom’s most valuable pieces of jewelry, meant for my sister, were missing from her jewelry box when we did the final packing and there was no recourse in that case.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
I do believe her about a lot of it, but sometimes she does lose things or even gives things away. Thankfully she has no good jewelry. Also since she hoards sometimes the nurses take things from her when she is out of her room, like her supply of paper napkins that could last a month on her unit.

And yes curbside sounds like the place for something like that to happen. I wonder if there is video. Everything is on camera these days. I am always amazed at bank robbers and convenience store hold up perpetrators who show their faces. They've got to know they're on camera, right?

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
My daughter works as a nurse aide at a care facility. Fortunately she is honest but she is the 1st to say some of the aides are bad. She is not popular among them as when she sees something not right she reports them and lets management investigate it. Unfortunately they make little $ as a aide and work hard and long. She ends up working a lot of extra hours because of people not even showing up. Its a steady, reliable job, its just a shame there are some who are doing it and shouldn't be. And back on topic I'm sorry your umbrella was taken, I would have reported it too.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Mufar it is shameful that we don't place enough value on caring for helpless sick people to attract more people like your daughter. The same kinds of things happen with home health aides who are also very underpaid in most markets. I am not surprised your daughter walks the honest path. You obviously are a great mom and not just for your poodle.

Reactions: Mufar42 and Mfmst

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Mom’s assisted living place was wonderful. She regretted that she hadn’t moved in earlier, had nothing but praise for the personnel. I found the ones I interacted with to be cheerful, efficient and very respectful to the residents. Even though that happened, I would still recommend the facility. Just lock your jewelry box and never put anything in an outside pocket that you check.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Thank you for your kind words and yes valuables shouldn't be left about. Sometimes its other residents, many have dementia and walk about and don't even realize they take things. Its sometimes a sad job when your resident passes. Her facility now assigns certain halls to the aides, that way the residents get use to their aid and the aide knows what that resident needs. She enjoys when their families come to visit. My daughter was always a shy person, struggled with school grades but she has blossomed thanks to many of the elderly residents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts