Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pee on the carpet season is on again ! Last year, some will remember I had bought a carpet that run through the hall for the dogs to enjoy running on, since they don’t go outside when it’s cold.

At the end of the winter, in april or may, I had discovered both the hallway and doorway carpet had huge urine stains in many areas. I threw both in the garbage and cleaned the whole floor thoroughly. Since it was summer, I put down my small carpet near the door.

Winter is here again so I bought a brand new winter carpet for the doorway and cut it to fit perfectly.

Tonight, I had an intuition and looked underneath it (can’t see the urine from the top since it’s black). There it was, a huuuuuuuge piddle of urine that completely soaked through it. In the garbage it went. Again. Sigh.

I am so pissed right now I feel like I want nothing to do with dogs anymore. Those two are my last ones. No more.

I don’t know if Beckie did it during the night (she hasn’t done that in a year or if Merlin did it out of anxiety when he had to stay home alone twice this week). I don’t want to deal with belly bands and doggy diapers all winter so I put up the baby gate and they won’t have access to the carpet area when I’m away and during the night.

It really is a pain in the b... but what else can I do ? Small dogs are soooo hard to keep from peeing carpet, it is their biggest fault. No matter how well I train them, since they’ve been raised places where they learned to pee on soft bedding and carpets, it’s imprinted in their brain and it seems like you can’t erase it. They can be good for months and months, years even. But bring a carpet and BAM !

Anyways, I’m fed up with them right now. Both of them.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Might I suggest two things? The new
"ruggable" carpets which are a two step system. A bottom piece and the top can be taken and put into washing machine..
Also pee pads ( try to get a bit of smell on them) put down for them to have a place to go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might I suggest two things? The new
"ruggable" carpets which are a two step system. A bottom piece and the top can be taken and put into washing machine..
Also pee pads ( try to get a bit of smell on them) put down for them to have a place to go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thank you. I’ve seen the ruggable and they are very expensive, like 400$ or more. As for pipi pads, I have an aversion to them and will never have them.

Both my dogs are perfectly capable of holding it for more than enough hours to last through the night and a few hours during the day. They just have it in their mind that peeing on the carpet is a good thing to do. And since I never catch them in the act, they can’t learn. That’s what aggravates me.

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
I have a cheap, machine washable runner in the hall, and washable mats in the bathroom. On the rare occasions the dogs are desperate they use one or the other, I bung it in the washing machine, and we are all happy. All are pale enough that damp patches show immediately so they don't get smelly.

The desperation is nearly always my fault - I can be hard to wake up at 3am, and sometimes too absorbed in what I am doing to notice the subtle signals. Or I may not insist that bladders are properly emptied on very wet days...!

Reactions: dogsavvy and Dechi

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
One of my dogs does the same thing... always pees on the rug in my hallway. When I got a new rug for it last time,, I got the spray called "No Go" and saturated the carpet with it. It really has no scent that humans can smell, but it definitely deters dogs from using it as a potty. You should give that a try. I used it once a week for 3 weeks, and then never had a problem again.

No Go spray on Amazon

If it's a pretty good sized piece of rug, you may want to get 2 bottles, although the 3 times I sprayed it, it was enough. But my rug is only 13'x3'. But it's nice to have some leftover in case you need it again. I am hoping that will work for you.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Preciously the reason I have a standard. It seems no matter how well trained my small dogs were and who could also hold their urine there were times I find big spots on the carpets. I think though if ever I have a small dog again I will rain it to a litter box or a pee pad in one room. I think I'd rather deal with a pee pad in the house then on the carpet. Its the only thing ZI can't stand is when one of my dogs pee in the house. So with a boxer and a standard I have not had that issue in a long time. The cairn terrier has been good though I did find a spot on a new door carpet the other day. Guess she Christianed it but at least I can throw that in the wash and it ws probably my husbands fault he seems to be forgetting to let her out . So just another job for me. LOL

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my dogs does the same thing... always pees on the rug in my hallway. When I got a new rug for it last time,, I got the spray called "No Go" and saturated the carpet with it. It really has no scent that humans can smell, but it definitely deters dogs from using it as a potty. You should give that a try. I used it once a week for 3 weeks, and then never had a problem again.

No Go spray on Amazon

If it's a pretty good sized piece of rug, you may want to get 2 bottles, although the 3 times I sprayed it, it was enough. But my rug is only 13'x3'. But it's nice to have some leftover in case you need it again. I am hoping that will work for you.
Thank you, I will look into it !

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Preciously the reason I have a standard. It seems no matter how well trained my small dogs were and who could also hold their urine there were times I find big spots on the carpets. I think though if ever I have a small dog again I will rain it to a litter box or a pee pad in one room. I think I'd rather deal with a pee pad in the house then on the carpet. Its the only thing ZI can't stand is when one of my dogs pee in the house. So with a boxer and a standard I have not had that issue in a long time. The cairn terrier has been good though I did find a spot on a new door carpet the other day. Guess she Christianed it but at least I can throw that in the wash and it ws probably my husbands fault he seems to be forgetting to let her out . So just another job for me. LOL
I hear you ! If I could, I would definitely have medium/big dogs instead of small ones. If I ever have another one (I have time to change my mind a zillion times), I think it will be a small Chihuahua and I will train it to use a litter box.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a cheap, machine washable runner in the hall, and washable mats in the bathroom. On the rare occasions the dogs are desperate they use one or the other, I bung it in the washing machine, and we are all happy. All are pale enough that damp patches show immediately so they don't get smelly.

The desperation is nearly always my fault - I can be hard to wake up at 3am, and sometimes too absorbed in what I am doing to notice the subtle signals. Or I may not insist that bladders are properly emptied on very wet days...!
Merlin’s anxiety has gotten worse in the last months, so he might be the one doing it, and if so, the behavior is very hard to curb. I would be washing carpets endlessly.

He definitely is making things harder, because the only way to stop the peeing is lowering the anxiety, and that’s a whole other ball game. Mental illness is not easy to get rid of.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I have toys and while they were late bloomers as puppies, (marked inside until they were neutered) they are, as adults perfectly potty trained. They never have a pee accident. Maurice, when he was having some digestive problems...colitis, he tried to go out but I was still in bed and he pooped on the rug by the back door. Otherwise, he's awesome...totally lets me know he has to go out. (just not when he was sick) Matisse too. They haven't had one single pee accident since they were puppies. So not all toys are untrustworthy. Even my tiniest one, Maurice can hold his bladder for a long time if I'm gone during the day for something. And the second I open the door, he's out like a shot and running to go pee. Then I feel terrible for taking too long to get home. Usually, I don't leave them more than 3-4 hours though.

I have hardwood floors but also have some lovely woolen Indian throw rugs scattered around and some other cheap ones from Walmart so Maurice can go from the couch to the water bowl and the back door, into the kitchen area without having to go for too far on the hardwood, which he hates before the next rug is there for him to land safely on before braving the next few feet of hardwood. lol. So yes, he's catered to.:angel:

I think the rugs that you can wash easily in the machine would be best so you don't have to keep throwing them out. Or try what Jojo suggested. That sounds really promising. Or go back to square one and do like when they're puppies again. I had a Chihuahua who came with "dirty puppy syndrome." (she was 7 months old when I got her) She took a long time to get onto the potty training and couldn't hold it long. Finally, she became reliable.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Dechi, I feel your pain. At least one of our little dogs has been having lots of accidents lately. Those Ruggables seem like a great option! Up to this point, we just have the rug for a year or two and throw it out and get a new one. And professional cleaning for our only really good rug costs like $300/yr. so the Ruggables could be much more cost effective!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Louie at 12 pounds the smallest dog I have had for the last 35 years surprised me in how long it took to really learn, which I attribute to a combination of a really small bladder and a longer time to learn to truly control it. I think smaller dogs first of all get away with it unnoticed (very reinforcing) but also biologically they seem less capable physically of holding it long enough for quite a few months longer than bigger dogs.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have toys and while they were late bloomers as puppies, (marked inside until they were neutered) they are, as adults perfectly potty trained. They never have a pee accident. Maurice, when he was having some digestive problems...colitis, he tried to go out but I was still in bed and he pooped on the rug by the back door. Otherwise, he's awesome...totally lets me know he has to go out. (just not when he was sick) Matisse too. They haven't had one single pee accident since they were puppies. So not all toys are untrustworthy. Even my tiniest one, Maurice can hold his bladder for a long time if I'm gone during the day for something. And the second I open the door, he's out like a shot and running to go pee. Then I feel terrible for taking too long to get home. Usually, I don't leave them more than 3-4 hours though.

I have hardwood floors but also have some lovely woolen Indian throw rugs scattered around and some other cheap ones from Walmart so Maurice can go from the couch to the water bowl and the back door, into the kitchen area without having to go for too far on the hardwood, which he hates before the next rug is there for him to land safely on before braving the next few feet of hardwood. lol. So yes, he's catered to.:angel:

I think the rugs that you can wash easily in the machine would be best so you don't have to keep throwing them out. Or try what Jojo suggested. That sounds really promising. Or go back to square one and do like when they're puppies again. I had a Chihuahua who came with "dirty puppy syndrome." (she was 7 months old when I got her) She took a long time to get onto the potty training and couldn't hold it long. Finally, she became reliable.
Pretty much every small dog I’ve had had the tendency to pee (or poop) on carpets (yorkies, chihuahua, toy poodles. My Many Boston Terriers never did it. They are big dogs in a small package...) I wouldn’t say they all do, but it definitely is a strong tendency. I don’t think I’m the problem since my bigger dogs were all perfect.

Going back to square one wouldn’t do anything, because remove the carpet and they are 100% reliable. I’d rather remove the problem (carpet).

I am off to buying a new carpet now. It is snowing and it is needed. i will stop at the pet store to find some kind of deterrent and if they have none, then I’ll buy those from Amazon that Jojo suggested (I don’t have the minimum amount for free delivery).

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Going back to square one wouldn’t do anything, because remove the carpet and they are 100% reliable. I’d rather remove the problem (carpet).
Well, there ya go. That's what I'd do. Put a good rubber/carpet mat outside of your doors and maybe you don't need one inside. Or use rubber. Maybe they wouldn't like that to go pee on.

I have only had 4 toy breeds so not a big group but out of those, the poodles are totally reliable. My male Chihuahua, Jose` was stupendous with potty training...learned in a couple of weeks and was absolutely reliable. He was my smart one. The little girl Chi, Chulita was the slow one to catch on but she had a rough start as a pup before I got her on learning that. So 3 out of 4 of my toy breeds were/are very trustworthy. My Doberman was a slow poke to get onto it, yet incredibly smart otherwise. I can think back and most of the others were very good.

But yeah...you might as well take up the rugs if that's the sole problem or you don't want to do the supervision every second thing and lavish reinforcement again when it's done outside. That's what I had to do with my girl Chi. Start all over. It was a hassle for a few weeks but she got good from then on.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, there ya go. That's what I'd do. Put a good rubber/carpet mat outside of your doors and maybe you don't need one inside. Or use rubber. Maybe they wouldn't like that to go pee on.
I went to Canadian Tire and bought a new rug. I almost bought a rubber one, but I was afraid when there’s 2-3 feet of snow on the door step it would just make a big puddle and never dry. I might buy one if this doesn’t work.

I also got some deterrent at the local pet store. I cut the rug to fit my entrance area and then lay it on its backside and sprayed the deterrent on it. When it’s dry, I’ll flip it around and spray the other side and set it where it goes. I’ll use the baby gate for maybe a week and then I plan to remove it to see if the deterrent works. It not, it will cost me another rug... But if it does, then bye-bye baby gate ! I’ll spray the rug on the carpet side at least 4-5 times more, to make sure it really does its job.

Wish me luck ! :)

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I hope the deterrent works for you. I’ve only used the one so don’t know about others, hopefully it will be good! I totally get where you are right now... it’s not cheap to keep buying rug after rug. I do know how frustrating it gets, and how angry we can get at the dogs. I’ll think good thoughts your way and wish you patience and perseverance.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope the deterrent works for you. I’ve only used the one so don’t know about others, hopefully it will be good! I totally get where you are right now... it’s not cheap to keep buying rug after rug. I do know how frustrating it gets, and how angry we can get at the dogs. I’ll think good thoughts your way and wish you patience and perseverance.
Thank you ! Yes, it is frustrating. But they are so innocent, naive and clueless that it’s impossible to stay mad at them. They’re like 3 year olds who don’t understand why you’re mad after they used your 100$ face cream to wash the floor...

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I sure do wish you luck. This is no fun at all. Dogs can be a pita sometimes. We just have to picture life without them and then it all falls back into place and perspective. Hang in there. (I forgot about the snow)

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Dechi, I too, feel your pain. I tossed Sailor's (inexpensive) bed out into the garbage. I am done washing it. When he sleeps in his crate and with no bedding, he "holds it" until he goes outside. I never make him wait more than three hours. For some reason, though, if I give him a padded bed he thinks he has to anoint it. Then, he stinks because we all know poodle hair absorbs odors. So, I think we will both be happier with a clean crate. Gee, Wilson can't have a bed either because he still likes to shred them. I don't know why I am complaining?? Think how much money they are saving me on beds! Sorry about your rugs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts