Poodle Forum banner

201 - 220 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am planing to mate Pimu, my standard poodle, with a brown male. Pimu is black but her mother and brothers are brown so I hope for some brown puppies. Here two pictures of Pimu's "family".

This picture is taken in March 2012: from left Pimu's brother Bruno, father Hessu (my beloved dog, now 13 years old), Pimu's mother Doris and Pimu. Pimu and Bruno were then about 9 months old.

This picture is taken in April 2013 and there is the whole family gathered together. From left Bruno, Pimu, Hessu, Doris and Pomo, Pimu's other brother.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Phoenix at 19 months

We are starting to think we may have gotten lucky and Phoenix is a Brown not a Cafe'
Love his new look, this German style clip really suits him.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
MY brown toy girl Princess Beatrice
004 (2000x1500).jpg

124 (1280x1007).jpg

130.jpg

A year and one week old

Seems only her legs have lightened up at this point to match her lovely mask

·
Registered
20 Posts
My brown mini Juniper! She needs to go to the groomers once she gets all her shots... shes 15 weeks. The back of her legs are already a lighter color so I don't know if she will stay this darker brown for much longer!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Phoenix 26 months

Yep I think the Phin will stay brown but we still have a few more months to wait and see....

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sweet Cocoa

My lil brown tpoo...
I changed her name since I last posted on this thread... Her color is so rich it reminds me of a nice warm cup of Cocoa :laugh: and I think she will get lighter because her mom coat is lighter... She is now 22weeks old she still has some growing to do! We shall see!

Attachments

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Question about browns with a reddish tone - assuming they are a non-fading brown, do they gray out like blacks can?
Also what color are the guard hairs on a brown?
Does the sun effect their color?
And what color are the toenails?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Question about browns with a reddish tone - assuming they are a non-fading brown, do they gray out like blacks can?
Also what color are the guard hairs on a brown?
Does the sun effect their color?
And what color are the toenails?
My experience has been that if the brown has a lot of red tones it will not stay brown, would think cafe, but if you have a lot of red tips -- I have had people ask -Where did you get your red poodle"-- which might look like sun bleach -- yes the sun does effect the coat -- mine look even straw like, I am talking silver beige and the way that they clear. I have had a true brown that did get gray guard hairs, the brown did not lighten, but once she got a lot of gray it looked lighter. Browns should have black toenails, if you have white nails it might be another indication the dog will fade.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
My experience has been that if the brown has a lot of red tones it will not stay brown, would think cafe, but if you have a lot of red tips -- I have had people ask -Where did you get your red poodle"-- which might look like sun bleach -- yes the sun does effect the coat -- mine look even straw like, I am talking silver beige and the way that they clear. I have had a true brown that did get gray guard hairs, the brown did not lighten, but once she got a lot of gray it looked lighter. Browns should have black toenails, if you have white nails it might be another indication the dog will fade.

Thank you for the info! So are you saying that usually the guard hairs brown?
Interesting that you say that if the brown hair has red tone, it will not stay brown - my breeder said just the opposite. But I suppose different varieties and different lines could be different. I am talking about a brown out of two blacks if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My brown mini has gray guard hairs (those are the wiry hairs on the back right?) Her tips lighten from sun exposure and have a warm tone. However, when she gets groomed, her hair is dark brown at the roots. She has very dark brown nails (basically black) and a brown nose. Her eyes were green when she was young, but have lightened to a golden amber.

Here's a pic of her before and after a groom on the same day. You can see how much darker she looks in the after picture.

Also a pic of her pretty green eyes when she was a pup!

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Browns are Clowns

I love brown standards! I've owned two, and I'm looking forward to a third in about ten months. (Still very much in mourning for the last one.)

My breeder says the browns are the clowns of the breed and I agree.

Here is Louie at the beach:

Louie is awesome

Browns are clowns of the bunch. I have heard that before. Does it only apply to the standards, or to the toys and minis as well?

Thanks

Kassie

·
Registered
454 Posts
I also heard that browns are the clowns, and our miniature Chuui is certainly living up to it so far. We thought our black miniature was silly until we brought Chuui home.

At first we thought she was just being a silly puppy but still at 10 months old she is noticeably more goofy than our black girl.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 263 Posts