Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a couple of neighbors while I was walking Galen today. They were very sympathetic to his new single dog status and decided he needed an immediate play date with their dog. The only trouble is, their dog is a middle aged Pekingese. The play date went something like this:
Galen: Hi, wow, who are you?
Peke: Yawn. Hi Mom. Why did Dad wake me up?
Galen: What ARE you? You look like a cat and smell like a dog.
Peke: Why is there a young idiot in my yard?
Galen: Can we play?
Peke: Oh, there's the truck. Can we go for a ride?
Galen: See, I can spin and you can chase me.
Peke: Yeah, yeah, buddy. Very nice. You can spin.
Galen: Play? Please?
Peke: Dad, can we go for a ride in the truck?
Galen: How about if I lie down? Will you play with me then?
Peke: Mom, pick me up. I want a ride in the truck.

Poor Galen. What a boring play date.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CP, Is shipping still a possibility or is there a temporary ban on that too?
I don't know. I've heard of a few situations where truck drivers who were crossing the border anyway brought puppies with them. These were mostly situations where a stranded dog needed to be reunited with an owner or a rescue transport had been interupted. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

One of my difficulties is that I insist on undocked tails. This pretty much eliminates any US breeder who shows conformation, as they must dock the tails well before it would be obvious which pups are only pet prospects. I was able to get Galen with natural tail because he has a slight mismark; his breeder left all the mismarks from his litter with undocked tails.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't know. I've heard of a few situations where truck drivers who were crossing the border anyway brought puppies with them. These were mostly situations where a stranded dog needed to be reunited with an owner or a rescue transport had been interupted. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

One of my difficulties is that I insist on undocked tails. This pretty much eliminates any US breeder who shows conformation, as they must dock the tails well before it would be obvious which pups are only pet prospects. I was able to get Galen with natural tail because he has a slight mismark; his breeder left all the mismarks from his litter with undocked tails.
Have you tried UKC breeders? Not sure how common it is to have a breeder with undocked tails from them, but they do allow dogs with natural tails to compete.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried UKC breeders? Not sure how common it is to have a breeder with undocked tails from them, but they do allow dogs with natural tails to compete.
I poked around on the UKC website and didn't find many breeders advertising.

However, I did find the Facebook page of the breeder who owns Pogo's half sister and niece. She had posted a video of the girls playing. My god, it was Pogo's beautiful daisy cutter movement. Both girls are retired from breeding, but she might breed another bitch from that line next year. She doesn't dock, so she might be a possibility if the border ever opens again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Poor Galen, indeed! What a mismatch of a playdate! That said, it was a lovely gesture from your neighbors.

My pup (litter just born!) will come tail undocked and dewclaws intact. This was important to me as well, though at the beginning of my search it seemed like something I wouldn't be able to make a requirement. I was relieved that wasn't the case. But if you're considering breeders in Canada you're probably not anywhere close to Texas.

·
Registered
460 Posts

That's really interesting,! Most Canadian jurisdictions now ban tail docking, and when we were looking for a Spoo the breeder on the first phone interview asked for my view on tail docking and said she immediately disqualifies anyone who was not fervently opposed to it. We love our Charlie's huge, elegant plume of a tail

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts