Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a thread that is primarily for blue poodles. I know there are threads elsewhere on the forum that include blues, but when I was considering getting Dakota, I wanted to see lots of pictures of blue poodles at various ages and I had to look here and there to find them. I also did a general google search and found a few websites with good pictures. But I would like to have a thread devoted to pictures of blue poodles when they are puppies and appear black, when they are going through the change of color, when they are blue, when they are older and appear mostly gray.

We can include pictures of blacks and silvers here for comparison, but the main thrust of this thread is blue poodles. So please post your pictures of your blue poodles at various times in his/her life whether it is a dog you have now or a past dog.

I will start. Here are two pictures that helped me see how lovely a blue poodle could be:

Cindy of Safranne's Miniature Poodles:
Cindy Lou Who-b.jpg

Lucy of Caralots (a blue brindle):
Lucy - Caralot_sm.jpg

I know that Dakota will turn blue because his father was a silver and his mother (Cindy above) was a blue. But he certainly looks black right now. I will post pictures to this thread when he starts to turn more gray. But here he is at 7 weeks with his 3 silver brothers:

7 wk pics - 2c.jpg

Here he is when we first brought him home at 10 weeks. A very black dog.
Sig Pic-1b.jpg

Still black at 4 months:
Groom 4 May 2015-2b.jpg

Here is a website that shows good pictures of blue poodles:
Anutta Blog - Daily life of our Poodles!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dante seemed to stay black a long time. Looks like he started graying up around 3 years. I am hoping Dakota changes before that. It is really hard to take a picture of a black dog.

Tiny Poodles sent me pictures of her Taylee at various ages when I was considering getting a blue poodle. I am hoping that she will post those pictures again on this thread.

Those who do post, if you can remember, can you tell us when you feel the change of color started on your dog and how long it lasted until your dog was blue (gray)?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep, you are right Minipoo. He started under his chin, just barely noticeable around 2 1/2--3yrs, then under his tail, and then around his "eyebrows" He is a softer/dusty black than when he was a puppy. I'm hoping he'll stay darker than his mother, who was very blue. Father was black. I have a blurry pic of his mom during a playdate, see if I can find it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Raven is a blue. Here she is at one year in Jan, you can see the light gray in her muzzle. Her ears are also streaked with light gray in from and down the back side. In the sunlight you can see more if a blue gray cast to her body.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why are blue poodles black so long?

If you get a cream or a cafe au lait or a silver poodle, they start lightening by one year or even sooner in a matter of months. But if you get a blue poodle, he looks like a black poodle so long that no one believes you when you tell him that he will end up dark gray. I wonder why this is. In any event, I am glad that I am aware that Dakota will turn dark gray so that I can properly follow the progression and not be surprised by finding out my black poodle is not really black.

I think I was meant to end up with a blue poodle. Of the 3 breeders I seriously considered (Caralots, Safranne, Celeto) all of them had a blue dam having a litter. I have shown Caralot's Lucy and Safranne's Cindy. Here is Celeto's Tiffany. The dark version of her was when she was being shown in confirmation at a young age. The gray version is Tiffany at over 2 years of age.

For more puppy pictures of Tiffany, see Celeto's website at
Celeto Standard & Miniature Poodles - Tiffany

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love the color that Racer has become. I look forward to seeing Dakota look like a mini version of that.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is very helpful to see Pierre changing colors. He is very cute. Can you remember when he started to look gray?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Finn began as a black and cream phantom. The second picture is contrasting him with his silver sister, at about 2. At 3 years old he began to change - and now at 5 he doesn't have a single black hair left - he's medium gray, with light gray and white hairs. I don't know if he's a blue and cream, or...bad black - or, what is grizzled? You decide....

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Finn began as a black and cream phantom. The second picture is contrasting him with his silver sister, at about 2. At 3 years old he began to change - and now at 5 he doesn't have a single black hair left - he's medium gray, with light gray and white hairs. I don't know if he's a blue and cream, or...bad black - or, what is grizzled? You decide....
Since his face was lighter as a puppy already, I'd call it blue. Gorgeous colour btw.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts