Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may recall that Peggy has a history of swallowing hair scrunchies. I think this is because I made the terrible decision to chase her the first time she stole one, and, in her adrenalized state, she decided swallowing it seemed the better choice than relinquishing such a clearly priceless treasure. So down it went.

And then up it came.

Other items almost followed in the humble scrunchie's footsteps: Socks. Wool dryer balls. But I figured out that handing her these items dramatically reduced their value, and now we regularly play Catch The Wool Dryer Ball and Trade Me A Sock For A Treat.

I'll admit—I was getting a little cocky.

Here's Peggy this morning on our walk:

Moments later she spotted a red woolen...toy? I couldn't really tell. It looked homemade, had stuffing sprouting from it, and was nearly the size and shape of my forearm.

She wanted to sniff it as we passed and I let her, eventually hauling her away so we could continue our stroll. As we turned back towards home, we passed it again. But this time she had a plan.

"May I sniff it again?

"Fine."

And like a wild thing, she pounced.

It took me a moment to process what had even happened. You see, Peggy is very good about found objects on walks. This is something we've worked diligently on. If she does go a little too far and picks something up, she always drops it when asked and then looks to us for cheese.

Not this time.

This time she hunched over in a guarding pose, stuffing protruding from her mouth. She gave me a long whale eye, and then GULP. It was gone.

I actually don't know how she physically swallowed the thing. It reminded me of:

Immediately she became extremely docile, sticking close to my heel the entire walk home. I induced vomiting, followed her as she lurched about, gagging, and had to act quickly so she didn't gulp the sodden mess back down.

Now she's snoozing deeply, probably dreaming of scrunchies. And I'm in desperate need of some coffee and maybe a nice, long bath.

If your dog isn't Labrador-level food obsessed but nevertheless has a tendency to swallow undesirable things, I believe this is a form of resource guarding and should be addressed accordingly. But remember:

You can put in the work. You can make great leaps of progress. And still you may be thwarted by someone's unravelling craft project on a back gravel road.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Silly Peggy. She’s smart, and sly. You have to watch her like a hawk. Looks like she may need remedial training. It’s a good thing you knew what to do, and I’m glad she’s fine.

I have a friend with Schipperkes. He has several, but one is notorious for swallowing dangerous items. His dog once swallowed a full size bully stick, one end was in his stomach while the other end was peeking out his mouth. That was an easy fix to pull it slowly back out. A more expensive problem required a vet, anesthesia and an endoscope to pull a leash out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What a clever girl. My Giant got a shock one day. She decided to chew something plastic & when I wanted to see what she had, she tried to swallow it. I had my fingers down her throat & she gagged it up before it really went far as I said DROP IT.

The people present thought I'd lost my mind. I set it in the floor, she picked it up, I said drop it...she spit it in my hand. We did this several times & the last one earned her her favorite treat & the plastic was thrown away.

Little did anyone know this wasn't trainer's intelligence. It was pure panic of what that sharp stuff would do to her insides.

I dont let mind sniff found objects on trails due to once living in a state that was the nation's leader in meth production Youd be surprised what can be deadly to a dog that they use. The other reason involved a clients dog & a really awful diaper. I might need therapy after that diaper. The dog needed therapy. The client got sick. Bogo the Bloodhound...

I am glad you & Peggy are ok. I'm so glad it wasn't a diaper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silly Peggy. She’s smart, and sly. You have to watch her like a hawk. Looks like she may need remedial training. It’s a good thing you knew what to do, and I’m glad she’s fine.

I have a friend with Schipperkes. He has several, but one is notorious for swallowing dangerous items. His dog once swallowed a full size bully stick, one end was in his stomach while the other end was peeking out his mouth. That was an easy fix to pull it slowly back out. A more expensive problem required a vet, anesthesia and an endoscope to pull a leash out.
Whoa! That bully situation would have freaked me right out. Definitely would have been a job for my husband.

I'm kicking myself today because it would have been so simple to just avoid that darn thing. I should've known better. Management/avoidance 99% of the time seems to be the best way to handle this stuff. And then train train train with low stakes scenarios the rest of the time (and a healthy dose of fun, of course).

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I was shocked when he told me about the bully stick, I didn’t even think that could happen. But this guy is not one to exaggerate.

That’s what makes poodles so much fun, they keep us on our toes. Don’t kick yourself, just keep vigilant.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a clever girl. My Giant got a shock one day. She decided to chew something plastic & when I wanted to see what she had, she tried to swallow it. I had my fingers down her throat & she gagged it up before it really went far as I said DROP IT.

The people present thought I'd lost my mind. I set it in the floor, she picked it up, I said drop it...she spit it in my hand. We did this several times & the last one earned her her favorite treat & the plastic was thrown away.

Little did anyone know this wasn't trainer's intelligence. It was pure panic of what that sharp stuff would do to her insides.

I dont let mind sniff found objects on trails due to once living in a state that was the nation's leader in meth production Youd be surprised what can be deadly to a dog that they use. The other reason involved a clients dog & a really awful diaper. I might need therapy after that diaper. The dog needed therapy. The client got sick. Bogo the Bloodhound...

I am glad you & Peggy are ok. I'm so glad it wasn't a diaper.

Ugggghhh. That turned my stomach a bit. I used to live next to a park where my mini Gracie and I would occasionally find needles. Luckily, she never got close to one. But she was very submissive and would willingly give me anything I asked for.

Peggy, on the other hand, has historically growled in these types of situations (though not recently), which I've never dealt with before. So it's been a learning experience. I'm not used to feeling unsure around my dog, but I don't know when to back off and when to expect her to submit. The one time I really pushed it (over a clump of grass!) she snarled. Her eyes were glazed right over. As I'm sure you know, it's an eerie thing to witness that in a companion animal and not something I wish to repeat.

Our trainer tried to replicate the situation, but couldn't. Peggy's guarding tendencies are very specific to stolen items, and not even all stolen items. In fact, not even most.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was shocked when he told me about the bully stick, I didn’t even think that could happen. But this guy is not one to exaggerate.

That’s what makes poodles so much fun, they keep us on our toes. Don’t kick yourself, just keep vigilant.
That's good advice. I try to learn from my mistakes, but it's a slippery slope from learning to dwelling.

And I've removed enough things from various doggy orifices to believe that anything is possible. Lol.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Peggy & Bogo the naughty Bloodhound. . I love the clever dogs. In all likelihood, Peggy is smart enough not to fall for doing it with her trainer. My husband used to get mad because a fog would be doing some something with him, I'd get home & the dog would have its halo on. Lol

Hang in there

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peggy & Bogo the naughty Bloodhound. . I love the clever dogs. In all likelihood, Peggy is smart enough not to fall for doing it with her trainer. My husband used to get mad because a fog would be doing some something with him, I'd get home & the dog would have its halo on. Lol

Hang in there

She continues to be the smartest dog I've ever met. Can't tell some days if she's my soulmate or my nemesis!

Seriously, though, I'm grateful for everything she's taught me. It's amazing watching her brain work and realizing she's outsmarted me yet again.....even when she's done something so soooo stupid. Lol.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sometimes Miss Peggy leaves me speechless. (Something my husband has been trying to do for years.)

She's an adolescent - she's gonna prove that she can do it if she wants.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sometimes Miss Peggy leaves me speechless. (Something my husband has been trying to do for years.)

She's an adolescent - she's gonna prove that she can do it if she wants.
Lol. Tell your husband he can borrow Peggy any time!

Y'know, I often forget she's an adolescent. Good reminder. She's got such an old soul.

I was at the doctor's office the other day and we could see my husband outside the window, doing some basic obedience training in the parking lot. Peggy looked like such a star, my doctor had to come out and meet her.

Of course, the star poodle immediately barked, lunged, sat, lunged, sat, shot straight up into the air, ran in a tight excited circle, and then "politely" shook my doctor's hand....with her mouth.

Yep. She's still a teen!!

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Peggy is a smart cookie and she sure knows what she wants ! I’m glad she threw it up and there wasn’t an emergency vet visit required.

Did you use hydrogen peroxyde to induce vomiting ?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Oh wow Peggy. I am very glad you got it out of her! That could have been a nasty vet bill to remove! You must be right about it being a resource guarding behavior.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peggy is a smart cookie and she sure knows what she wants ! I’m glad she threw it up and there wasn’t an emergency vet visit required.

Did you use hydrogen peroxyde to induce vomiting ?
Yes, 3% hydrogen peroxide (I triple checked!) and not even the full recommended dose. Her vomiting was quite violent and I had to take a moment to myself after, just to shake and cry a bit without worrying about staying calm for her sake.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh wow Peggy. I am very glad you got it out of her! That could have been a nasty vet bill to remove! You must be right about it being a resource guarding behavior.
It really is the safest place to put a highly object!

I'd love to understand why she was so docile after. I suspect resource guarding isn't a pleasant state to be in and she was relieved it was over. I'm sure some would say she felt "guilty" but I don't buy that.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
I am sure Peggy says that

I have Pia, the poop eater.
Yep she is mine because she was disgusting, eating poo right as it came out another dog. We have come along way in training to leave that, but if given a chance she'd be saying No regrets

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am sure Peggy says that

I have Pia, the poop eater.
Yep she is mine because she was disgusting, eating poo right as it came out another dog. We have come along way in training to leave that, but if given a chance she'd be saying No regrets
Sorry for laughing, Twyla. :) I guess all dogs have their quirks. And training is a lifelong effort.

I've been feeling bad for Peggy, cooped up with all the smoke outside. And I think I relaxed some of my rules a little, one of which is NO CHASING THE POODLE. It's her favourite game that we never play because it encourages too many bad habits. But last week I gave in and gave her a good chase around the house. She could hardly contain herself. The thrill!

Now today I've noticed her trying to play keepaway. She's bringing things to my lap and then snatching them away if I move to touch them, or dancing just out of reach with a toy, begging me to chase.

I swear: Give this dog an inch and she'll take a mile.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts