Poodle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
We've always done weekly shops, but it was also normal to pop out for treats in between...especially for ice cream!

Since we don't do these impulsive after-dinner outings anymore, I needed a new way to itch my cravings. And so far, frozen fruit blended with whole milk, sugar, and vanilla is doing the trick!

I also make a lunchtime version without the sugar and vanilla, like this bowl of mango, banana, and strawberry:

Much more filling than a drinkable smoothie, despite using the same ingredients. And tastes like summertime.

·
Registered
308 Posts
More bananas is a great idea! I'll have to give that a try. I wonder if my usual egg substitute could also work as an oil substitute: A bit of flax meal mixed with water. It creates a gel.
I have heard many people say that works really well! I keep forgetting about to try it

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Pumpkin bread would be so cozy right now. Thanks for that recipe! It's a cool, overcast day after a week of relentless sunshine. Almost feels like we skipped summer and are headed back into fall.

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
Those look wonderful - I can practically smell them from here!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I harvested some rhubarb from the garden today and made a quick blueberry-rhubarb galette. It's such an easy recipe and delightfully tart. Just wish I'd had a bit of my favourite vanilla bean ice cream to go with it!
Looks really good! Can you share the recipe? I love rhubarb, but it will be a while before we have any here in Minnesota. There's always frozen...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Looks really good! Can you share the recipe? I love rhubarb, but it will be a while before we have any here in Minnesota. There's always frozen...
Here you go!

I didn't follow the fruit quantities exactly. I just weighed out my fresh rhubarb and added frozen blueberries until I reached 1 lb. I think it would be good with just about any fruit!

And I ignored the note about defrosting the blueberries. It didn't affect the bake time and the filling is much easier to work with some frozen fruit in it. I imagine the same would be true of your rhubarb!

And here's my dough recipe:

I put the two dough balls in separate ziplock bags, press them flat into discs, and freeze. Takes about 30 minutes to defrost on the counter. If the edges are cracking, I wet my hands, form it back into a ball, and then roll out again. Hasn't failed me yet!

Only change I make to the recipe is omitting the sugar so I can use it for savoury dishes, too. Pairs beautifully with chicken pot pie.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts