Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm baking a batch of walnut rolls for our daughter and her husband. He's quarantined in a local hotel because his company doesn't want him near her. (RN's are both heroes and pariahs.) She's going to grab them from the front porch and wave to Normie through the window, then drop off his share with the desk clerk.

I have chili for him and chocolate pudding (made from scratch) for her. It's her comfort food.

Expect tears from all.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
How lucky he is to have such a kind mother-in-law. I'm really craving chili now!

And it sounds like your daughter is sure earning that pudding. Grateful for her and those like her, putting themselves out there every day.

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
I'm baking a batch of walnut rolls for our daughter and her husband. He's quarantined in a local hotel... She's going to grab them from the front porch and wave to Normie through the window... I have chili for him and chocolate pudding (made from scratch) for her. It's her comfort food. Expect tears from all.
I can visualize this in my mind and the waving to him thru the window makes me sad. At the same time the love in your family is ... the best words fail ... but it's touching and wonderful.

Perhaps as we connect through having time to provide home made nourishment are some of the things many of us will remember best.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We did a drive-up grocery pickup at Kroger this afternoon. No flour. But I have rye flour from Christmas so tomorrow it's Swedish Rye Loaf Day.

I'm going to use up my specialty flours and keep requesting flour each week until I luck out. Next week I'll ask for both bread and all-purpose flour and see if that nets either.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
We did a drive-up grocery pickup at Kroger this afternoon. No flour. But I have rye flour from Christmas so tomorrow it's Swedish Rye Loaf Day.

I'm going to use up my specialty flours and keep requesting flour each week until I luck out. Next week I'll ask for both bread and all-purpose flour and see if that nets either.
I'll be cheering you on!

I ALMOST got some AP flour from walmart.com and then it went out of stock before I could finish checking out. Sooo close. Grrr. I've set up alerts now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My no-knead stecca isn't very pretty, but it sure is tasty! Perfect for sandwiches.

View attachment 465552

In a non-coronavirus world, I'd top them with roasted chicken breast, roasted red peppers, lightly dressed spring mix, and avocado chipotle mayo. But....I have none of those things. ? So I'll settle for munching one plain. Love that coarse salt on top!
My day off, and I made both emergency plans and a cherry cobbler. Cherries have been in the freezer since my husband and I picked them last summer. A cobbler is a good anti-stress activity!
View attachment 465596
Looks good🤤

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
My day off, and I made both emergency plans and a cherry cobbler. Cherries have been in the freezer since my husband and I picked them last summer. A cobbler is a good anti-stress activity!
View attachment 465596
Mmmmm. And a little taste of summer, too! Bonus!

In a strange fit of therapeutic shopping, I ordered three large cans of cherry pie filling. That was a few weeks ago and when they arrived today, I wondered what the heck I had been thinking. So cobbler might be in my future, too!

·
Registered
229 Posts
We're doing roast eggplant/pepper/onion pizza tonight. It's a good way to use the seminola flour and conserve the others.

Anyone having trouble getting regular flours may want to explore using other less popular ones,

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
We're doing roast eggplant/pepper/onion pizza tonight. It's a good way to use the seminola flour and conserve the others.

Anyone having trouble getting regular flours may want to explore using other less popular ones,
Yum!! Our household would happily eat pizza most nights.

And my husband surprised me this morning with a 10 lb bag of flour! I was so excited. 😂 Isn't it amazing how quickly our priorities shift? Lots of lessons in gratitude lately.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Guess who wants to “help” me bake an apple pie? Which happens to be his favorite, next to pecan pie. Hint, not Buck. “Something, fun we can do together”. Only problem is, I’m the kind of baker that buys those teeny, tiny bags of flour and have maybe 1 C left. He will have to be content “helping” with a pecan pie. I already have a crust made, and the other ingredients on hand. My son sent a recipe for banana malt smoothies, if banana bread isn’t in the future.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts