Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here's my bowl of shaggy, wet Stecca dough:

Might have to make some meatballs tomorrow to go with my fresh crusty loaves.

I'll likely just finish mine with sea salt, but those toppings in the photos do look delicious! Especially the olives.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
somehow baking loses some of its savour when it doesn't result in a shared, happy meal.
I totally understand that feeling. Wonder if it would be safe to deliver some fresh loaves to neighbouring porches? Probably not :(

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I made granola bars today. I actually bought a no knead bread cookbook some time ago, so far it is unopened. I think I will have to get it out again! My Mom used to bake bread when I was a child, and who can ever forget the scent of baking bread?

View attachment 465536

View attachment 465537
Definitely a perfect time to crack open a dusty cookbook! I've got so many I've rarely if ever touched.

Those granola bars look like an excellent way to use up some of my pantry items. I've got a massive bag of pumpkin seeds.

Do you follow a recipe?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes, I have been making them for decades and the recipe has been fiddled with to get it just the way I like it! It is a very flexible recipe, the basics are:

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup crushed flax seeds (or wheat germ) (or both)
1 tsp baking powder (mine is usually expired so not sure how much difference this makes)

In another bowl mix
1 cup plain yogurt (you could use flavored but keep in mind you're adding a lot of sugar)
about a third cup honey
about a quarter cup molasses

Mix the two bowls together and add whatever dried fruits, nuts, chocolate chips and whatever else you want. Add enough milk to make the mixture moist enough to spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. I use baking paper or tin foil.

I don't like them sweet, so you may want to increase honey. I have changed proportions of oats to flour to get the texture I like, if you want more soft and chewy increase the flour.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yes, I have been making them for decades and the recipe has been fiddled with to get it just the way I like it! It is a very flexible recipe, the basics are:

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup crushed flax seeds (or wheat germ) (or both)
1 tsp baking powder (mine is usually expired so not sure how much difference this makes)

In another bowl mix
1 cup plain yogurt (you could use flavored but keep in mind you're adding a lot of sugar)
about a third cup honey
about a quarter cup molasses

Mix the two bowls together and add whatever dried fruits, nuts, chocolate chips and whatever else you want. Add enough milk to make the mixture moist enough to spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. I use baking paper or tin foil.

I don't like them sweet, so you may want to increase honey. I have changed proportions of oats to flour to get the texture I like, if you want more soft and chewy increase the flour.
That recipe sounds amazing!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Beats store bought granola bars, that's for sure! I make these all the time, and you can fiddle with the recipe all you want to get it just the way you like it. Some people think mine are quite bland because I don't like them sweet, but you can increase honey and add any flavors you want. I use lots of tart fruits and berries in mine.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Beats store bought granola bars, that's for sure! I make these all the time, and you can fiddle with the recipe all you want to get it just the way you like it. Some people think mine are quite bland because I don't like them sweet, but you can increase honey and add any flavors you want. I use lots of tart fruits and berries in mine.
I actually can't stand many of the store bars because they are too sweet. Nature Valley used to sell a nut and honey bar, but the quality control was bad and then there was a recall, and then they disappeared. I haven't found anything store bought I really like to replace them, but I also haven't attempted to make my own yet either.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I actually can't stand many of the store bars because they are too sweet.
I was in need of some comfort food a while back, and reached for a beloved childhood brand. I have quite the sweet tooth, and even I was appalled by how overpowering it was!

I do enjoy Kind Bars on occasion, but they're really no different than a chocolate bar and should be treated as such.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have a homemade pie crust in the freezer and I think I have the ingredients to make a pecan pie, DH’s favorite. I wish I had all the ingredients for that stecca! Someday...
Mmmmm that sounds GOOD. And part of the coronavirus baking fun is trying to match the ingredients you've got to a recipe. :)

My meringues called for three egg whites, so I had to find a recipe that would use up the three yolks. Chocolate pudding fit the bill, and also used up a bunch of the cocoa powder I've had laying around for ages.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My no-knead stecca isn't very pretty, but it sure is tasty! Perfect for sandwiches.

In a non-coronavirus world, I'd top them with roasted chicken breast, roasted red peppers, lightly dressed spring mix, and avocado chipotle mayo. But....I have none of those things. ? So I'll settle for munching one plain. Love that coarse salt on top!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts