Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week it was beautiful out. I was just getting over a cold so could finally venture out into the world again. I planned to take Jasper to the teenagers Ultimate game. (Frisbee is a TM name so it can't be called Ultimate Frisbee anymore. :doh:) Teenage boys, or at least MY teenage boy LOL, appears to be incapable of providing all the details necessary for a person to arrive at the right time for a game. When we arrived it was clear that the game wasn't going to start for a good hour. Instead of just sitting there I decided to load Jas back up in the car and find somewhere to hike. This is where the adventure began...

I took Jasper to a town field where he could be off leash. (most of these were taken with my iPhone)

We walked, played and ran.

more...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We had a nice photo session with the iPhone.

And a good roll in the grass.

After a while we headed back to the school.

Jasper had a good time watching the frisbee game.

more...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He was well behaved and resisted trying to chase his kid who was running by right in front of him.

All in all a fun day was had by all. Until..

At 4a.m. we were awakened by TICKS crawling all over us in bed. What a mess! I killed a few thinking that was it. Did a quick check of Jasper and dared to sleep again. Needless to say there were more by 6a.m. and the little nasty buggers even dared attach to me. I had the teenager plucking Ticks off of me as he brushed his teeth for school LOL.

We battled ticks all morning. Luckily the dogs had a grooming appoint that day. It took a few more days for the ticks to be 100% eradicated.

Of course the day after this adventure there was a newspaper article saying that because of the weather we are infested with ticks up here. Record numbers. :scared: Needless to say we plan to hose ourselves down with OFF if going near fields, woods, or beaches. Unfortunately our Ticks seem to be somewhat immune to many flea/tick products. Nasty creatures they are!

more...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Because the groomer was pulling mass amounts of ticks off of everyone's dogs that day, even my poor little Nat, their doos weren't quite as blown out as usual. (A GR had 20+!) The flea/tick bath doesn't leave quite the pretty sheen as the other shampoos either LOL.

Shellshocked from his rough day!

Jas, are you under that hair somewhere??

Finally getting to snooze a bit in the sun.

·
Registered
752 Posts
AAAACK!!! There I was, smiling at your pup having fun in the sun. . . what a horrible ending, and what a perfect shot of his poor face after having ticks picked off of him. What luck that you were able to get into the groomer's. . .poor groomer too! And in bed!!! Yikes. We've never had them so I can only imagine the horror. We get them here, but very rarely, because the weather is always too dry, and usually way too cold for them in the winter and so hot in the summer. We don't have fleas either, thank heavens. I sure feel for you. . . how miserable to wake up with ticks! How do you get them out of your carpet and stuff? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AAAACK!!! There I was, smiling at your pup having fun in the sun. . . what a horrible ending, and what a perfect shot of his poor face after having ticks picked off of him. What luck that you were able to get into the groomer's. . .poor groomer too! And in bed!!! Yikes. We've never had them so I can only imagine the horror. We get them here, but very rarely, because the weather is always too dry, and usually way too cold for them in the winter and so hot in the summer. We don't have fleas either, thank heavens. I sure feel for you. . . how miserable to wake up with ticks! How do you get them out of your carpet and stuff? I'm just curious.
The record rain in February and March is what brought on the onslaught of ticks. You do have to be very careful here in the spring and summer as it's super easy to get Lyme disease. I get the Lyme vaccine for both dogs each year. The grass in the field wasn't that long, and we hadn't had many warm days, so really I didn't give ticks much thought. Jasper is on a monthly treatment but it didn't put up much of a fight :eek:hwell:.

I don't really have any carpet. Wood floors and travertine. I sprayed everywhere with a tick killer, including Jasper's crate. I washed my bedding multiple times, in hot water, spraying with tick killer first LOL. Yeah, that's reason #1 to not let your dogs sleep with you!!! I showered 3 times to make sure there weren't any in my hair or on me. Jasper was the hardest with a long black coat! Unless wet, it's nearly impossible to see them on him. It just happened that our grooming appointment was that day--it worked out perfectly!

We're a little gun shy when outdoors now. I'm tempted to put on Off when I take them out for potty breaks LOL. A very creepy experience!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Oh Jasper!! What a handsome boy!! I would FREAK if I ever had ticks on me!! When we were up north in the summer a few years ago, I found a tick on Matrix and I freaked out!!
Eww, creepy crawlies!!!

By the way, Ultimate is the best sport EVER!!! I play from April to november, but I think I'll start playing indoor in the winter because it's the best. Calling it frisbee just does not do the game justice :p I would love to bring Mitch to my games, but I have no idea how he'd react. I'm sure my parents would gladly bring him and watch...but at 21, I think I'm a little old to have my parent cheerleaders :p

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
OH WOW! What a nightmare really! I could not imagine that. I have yet to see a tick in SC - but living in PA we did see them.

Lovely pictures though. I have always wanted to visit the New England area.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
ew ticks are nasty
we use to get covered in the itty bitty ones when we lived in missouri nasty things >.<

Jasper is BEAUTIFUL though :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone :). He's growing up so quickly. 22 weeks old and 21"!

Ticks are definitely satanistic little creepy things LOL. In the Midwest, and in North East, it's best to be very prepared before going anywhere ticks might be. And as I learned, it's never too early :doh:. Here in Rockport there is tons of granite (yeah, I know, the obvious LOL) so we all have makeshift rock walls, borders, and outcroppings in our yards. Most of us don't have the neatly, fine tuned landscaping you get to have in other parts of the country. Ticks love it. Our beaches are rocky, too, so no escaping the little buggers anywhere.

Keithsomething, the little ones are the WORST! Occasionally the babies will attack early spring and they are nearly impossible to feel/spot. Yuck!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
yeah I think I'd go insane there xD

when we lived in MO my mom was a FREAK about ticks she'd look our heads over before we were allowed on the porch then make us take a shower as soon as we got in the house
that was a daily routine in the summer...thankfully we don't live there anymore

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Locket, you are never too old to have your parents cheerleader for you :). My son loves Ultimate, too, and hopes to continue playing in college.

Keithsomething, I can imagine! NE Ohio isn't too bad for them at least. I grew up around the Canton area and can't think of a single time I saw a tick there.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
thats where I live!
we're 20 minutes outside of canton
and I think I've seen ONE deer tick but that was like hardcore hiking in the woods :D
out in MO it was like you step into the grass and you're SWARMED by them

we went camping down towards KY and we saw alot on our lab/poo mix after that weekend lucky for us we live a ways away from there D:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ew Ticks!! ((Shudder.)) Your little man looks SO handsome! His coat is so shiny and glossy! Those pictures are making me want to get a black spoo! :) No more spoos for me until my newest one is calmed down and trained! )

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats where I live!
we're 20 minutes outside of canton
and I think I've seen ONE deer tick but that was like hardcore hiking in the woods :D
out in MO it was like you step into the grass and you're SWARMED by them

we went camping down towards KY and we saw alot on our lab/poo mix after that weekend lucky for us we live a ways away from there D:
I grew up in North Canton and graduated from Jackson High School :D. (okay, a long time ago but.. LOL) We used to hike the woods and and hang out at all the lakes without ever seeing a tick. I guess maybe we were lucky, but they must not have been out in swarms!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ew Ticks!! ((Shudder.)) Your little man looks SO handsome! His coat is so shiny and glossy! Those pictures are making me want to get a black spoo! :) No more spoos for me until my newest one is calmed down and trained! )
I think our pups are similar ages. I have a good 6 months to a year before another is added here!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One more shot. I love what he does with his legs when laying down. My GR used to do the strangest things with her legs/paws, we used to say she looked like a fish LOL.

Today is our last nice day for a while. I think we'll try to brave the park today. Hoping to return home without the ticks this time!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, sad to say, I pulled a full blown tick off of him tonight. I thought we had seen the last of them. I'm sure that it was STILL from last week's adventure. *Sigh* I totally have the heebie jeebies from this adventure. I swear I'm never ever going outside again LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts