Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thank you all for responding ...My poodle is improving! I got her from the rescue and its been like 2 weeks..she is eating now..and seems comfortable in my house..but her eyes are always leaking a clear fluid from the sides..also she licks herself (down there )alot!! she is still warming up to me but she still flinches and jumps everytime i go to touch her and its not normal how much she does this...and last when I call her she looks at me but dosent come ive tried training treats but she dosent respond to me using them...so i still do need help please!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Put the bitch on a leash. It does no good to give a command you can't:

1. Treat
2. Enforce

When she is on leash, say her name and give the command in a happy, upbeat voice: "Fluffy, COME!"

If she does not immediately come right up to you, give a little collar pop and reel her in. With a Toy Poodle, you want them to come up right between you feet so stand with your feet spread and give the treat between your shins by reaching around the back of your legs. When she comes in, praise her as she is getting the treat. To encourage a quicker recall, you can walk backwards away from the dog.

As far a jumping when you touch her. Toy Poodles are notoriously reactive dogs. Give her time. She will get used to you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
What are you feeding for treats? Perhaps you need something more enticing during this initial getting to know each other period. Cooked chicken or cheese might work. A lot of people in my puppy class were using turkey. (thickly cut lunch meat) Dried liver treats seem to attract dogs from near and far when we're out LOL.

The eyes and licking could be caused by food allergies. What do you feed her?

·
Registered
372 Posts
It is probably just tearing (the wet eyes), its a common thing for poodles to have.

I've always noticed my girls licking more "down there" when they've had UTI, or she could just be a very clean dog.

·
Registered
207 Posts
yes

She could be licking herself if she has a urinary Tract infection. If she has to urinate A LOT this would be another sign. It's best to bring in a fresh sample of urine to the vet so this will elimate having to place a needle into her bladder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts