Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved Bernie, but frankly I don't understand the decision to omit Hillary Clinton, the first woman who won the popular vote in a US Presidential election, from the Texas history and social studies curriculum.

I read about this last week but can't get it out of my head. It bothers me. In my view, in simplest terms, this level of historical revisionism is mind-boggling. It's also like there's no need to burn books; just don't add the other fact to the new and often digital version of what students have to read.

Texas Board of Education Votes to Remove Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller from the State's Curriculum (9/15/2018)
Texas Votes to Remove Hillary Clinton, Helen Keller from Curriculum | Time

I lead Texas’s education board. Here’s why we want to cut Hillary Clinton — and Barry Goldwater (9/20/2018)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-lead-texass-education-board-heres-why-we-ditched-hillary-clinton-and-helen-keller/2018/09/20/da4ee616-bc5b-11e8-b7d2-0773aa1e33da_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e19f69710f20

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I wish I could say I was surprised but I live in Kansas, the state which deleted references to the Theory of Evolution from high school science courses. I believe the ToE is back in the curriculum now, but I expect every day to hear from our legislators that books will be burned and the Earth is flat.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Just uuuggghhhh! Those who do not learn from history truly are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mufar, WELL SAID!

While I'm in the non Clinton supporter camp, for good or bad, she and her husband are very much a part of the history of this country and deserve to be recognized as such. Scrubbing her from the history books is not going to change the fact that she was here and made an impact on American history.

Just repeat what Lily said, it is something that will always hold true.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I once saw a program that showed a Texas meeting on textbook adoption. I cannot even describe how abysmally stupid the members were! It was really frightening since Texas textbook adoption strongly influences which textbooks are used throughout the country.

The most memorable example from that meeting was a geography text that had the equator running through Houston!

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Flat earthers, special creation myth believers , holocaust deniers, you name it...anti scientific and anti evidence based thought and speech abound in frightening ways. Remember Ted Stevens (Alaska US senator) who thought the internet was a network of tube and pipes? He was the chair/ranking member of the Senate committee that oversees telecommunications (including the internet).

And Rose n Poos thank you for noting that Evolution is a Theory (proven and supported through evidence central concept of biological science), not as many colloquial users of the word theory in place of the more correct word, hypothesis.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
In the Time article, I followed this link

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2018/09/14/history-curriculum-texas-remembers-alamo-forgets-hillary-clinton-helen-keller

and found the description of the process and their choices to be very interesting.

I can see why they talk about streamlining. I haven't been in a classroom for so long, I'm trying to imagine what, of just the last 45+ years, I could leave out of the educational process. So much more information is available now. There isn't enough time in a school day or year for it all.

Still, I'm curious to see the list of who's remaining recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts