Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my sweet Starla for a walk to the dog park. It was a beautiful sunny day and she was being her usual sunny self. We got there and there was another dog, smaller than her, looked like a spaniely thing. She hasn’t been well socialized yet (only knows our other dog who is too arthritic to go on a walk) and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity. She has seen other dogs on our walks and not really reacted and I watched him as we were walking up. He looked at her but kept doing his own thing so I though perfect! I took her in the dog park, through the metal gates and was talking to her, kicking a ball that had been left there and the other dog started to come over in a very friendly way, not a beeline or aggressive stance at all. She freaked out as soon as she realized he was there and ran as hard as she could right back to the gate, but she didn’t stop. She ran as hard as she could at the metal bars and flipped up like a cartoon, falling down and screaming. She couldn’t stand up. I called my husband to come get us and we went straight to the vet. They kept her all afternoon and did X-rays and tests. She has a concussion. 😭 she still can’t stand up. She came home last night so we could monitor her, and she’s back at the vet today for further monitoring. The vet does expect her to make a full recovery and says her inability to stand is because of her concussion. I feel so wracked with guilt even though everybody says I couldn’t have predicted it. My heart is broken. I’m still waiting to hear from the vet today.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh that is terrible! I'm so sorry this happened and hope that she makes a full recovery. Having had several concussions myself, I can speak from experience to the lack of coordination one experiences afterwards. She could have injured some muscles in her neck or back when she it the gate or flipped. That happened to me the last two times I had what equestrians call an "unplanned dismount." Ice packs, ibuprofen and chiropractor visits got me back on my feet. I hope it's that simple for your pup.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,702 Posts
Oh gosh, Ellen, that's terrible! I'm so sorry for Starla and you and your family. Thank goodness the prognosis is good.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm so so sorry! Wishing her a quick recovery. It absolutely couldn't be predicted. When Misha was little he ran into a glass door and hit it HARD. He was fine but I shudder to think about how easily he could have been injured. Most puppies have accidents like this. No way you are to blame. You were just unlucky.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the kind words. I’m hopeful today, yesterday I was so devastated that I couldn’t function. My vet consulted with a neurologist across town so I do feel good about that. They’re going to re X-ray her neck to make sure they didn’t miss anything.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Oh nooo! I am so sorry. That sounds like a total freak accident. :( They happen all the time with puppies. Luckily, they are very resilient.

I’ve had multiple concussions, and two involved whiplash. It’s very possible her neck is extremely sore right now or will be in the coming days.

I will be thinking of you and Starla. It sounds like she’s in good hands.

·
Premium Member
13,211 Posts
How terrifying! It sounds as though your vet has things well in hand, and is doing everything right. I hope things begin to improve soon.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry and poor Starla, such a terrifying experience compounded by having a prolonged stay at the vet. It sounds like Starla is getting excellent care at the vet's. I hope she is home soon and back to normal quickly. (((HUGS)))

Given this experience, you might want to contact a qualified dog trainer to help her with her problem. Her reaction followed by concussion and treatment at the vet may have exacerbating the problem. Not something you could have foreseen. Especially if you notice she becomes fearful of other dogs.

Edited to add - do you have Starla in a class at a dog training facility - there might be someone there who can help you and can introduce Starla to appropriate dogs to help socialize her to other dogs in a positive experience.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Oh no! I know how you're feeling because Basil ran headfirst into dry wall around ~12 weeks old. I felt aweful because I amped her up to chase the ball, but by the time she put on the breaks all I heard was thunk. It was like how Will-e Coyote on Loony Toons ran into the wall. No concussion, but it took time to forgive myself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately Starla had problems with her vertebrae. We decided to end her suffering. My poor sweet Starry Nights is gone.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
OMG, my heart goes out to you, this is so sad. I'm so sorry. ((((HUGS))))

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
How tragic - Sending along big hug for you and for your family. I know that there is no way that this can be easy. Starry will be running for the rainbow bridge with no pain and there will always be a special place for the love.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Oh goodness, just seeing this now. I am so, so very sorry for your sweet girl and your loss. :( Keeping you in my thoughts....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts