Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

My daughter has been asking for a dog at every opportunity for about ten years now, but the time was just never right. Well, my work situation is now about as good as it can get for owning a dog -- I work full time from home -- so I ran out of excuses.

Having grown up alongside my grandparent's wonderful standard poodle named "Coco," I knew how smart and loving a poodle can be. My wife is also allergic to most furry critters, so getting a poodle was a no-brainer. My daughter wanted a dog she could cuddle, but I'm not a big fan of toys. A standard is too big, so that narrowed us down to a miniature.

I'll leave the story of our search for a puppy for another thread. Suffice it that we brought our beautiful, sweet new friend home from the breeder just two weeks ago. "Beau" is 6 mos old, cream in color, and as calm and well-behaved as can be. He's already housebroken and crate trained, for which we are very grateful! The breeder is a professional groomer, so he came home in a puppy show clip. That means he's super fluffy and cuddly; just adorable. He's not too big to hold on a lap, and my daughter is totally in love with him. So are the rest of us!

Since he's our first dog, we're climbing a steep learning curve. Speaking of climbing, he refuses to go up the stairs, which is where all our bedrooms are. I know he'll learn eventually, but it's mighty inconvenient for now.

He also is not a big fan of being brushed, and with his long show trim, he needs a lot of brushing! First appointment with a groomer is this Thursday, and I can't wait to get him in a nice, practical lamb cut.

Anyway, I expect I will have lots of questions for you experienced folks in the poodle community. Thanks in advance for your support!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a picture of my daughter meeting Beau for the first time. Isn't he cute? (She's might cute, herself.)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a picture of my daughter meeting Beau for the first time. Isn't he cute? (She's might cute, herself.)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
note that you can't really post the link as a pic from your album, you'll have to add the photo as an attachment (see 'manage attachments' below the full reply box) or use a site such as photobucket...

But in saying that, that's a CUTE wee guy, and here's the pic for anyone wanting to see!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Flyingduster. I spend a lot of time on some other forums, but this one is set up a little differently. I just discovered the hard way that there's no Edit Post function here, something I've never run into on any of the other forums I frequent. Guess I'll just to think carefully before hitting submit.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He is so pretty....nice coat. If your pup is balking at brushing, sometimes the teeth are scratching his baby skin. He didn't get that long and fluffy with the technique you are using. He most likely got COMBED a lot. Put the brush away a while and buy a poodle comb!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
What a gorgeous pair! Congratulations on your furry addition! I can imagine it would take a while to keep that coat up... I agree - Lamb clips are great!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
LEUllman, there is an edit post function,. I use it all the time! haha. But perhaps not for the very new members??

You can link to your album, but the link you want to use to hotlink a pic into a post (via the img tags) is the link of the photo *itself*, not the page the photo is on... :)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again flyingduster. I logged out and back in again, and lo and behold I now have an Edit button. I'll be more careful next time and make sure I've copied the actual photo URL, not a page.

My wife and I spent 16 glorious days in New Zealand in 1993 -- was our "last fling" vacation before having kids. We covered a lot of ground from North Island down to South and back. Even spent a few days on Stewart Island, which was paradise. I envy you.

Trying to find a more or less local groomer with plenty of experience trimming poodles turned out to be a bit of an odyssey. But after asking all the neighbors and searching online, I decided to send an email to our local Poodle club and ask for a referral. Turns out the club president has not only been raising, showing, and grooming poodles for 45 years, she lives about five minutes away!

I remember when my grandparents' standard would come home from the groomer, he would just prance about and show off his new doo. He was just so obviously pleased with himself, it made us all crack up. I think our little guy will like it, too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
:welcome: Beautiful boy and what a pretty daughter you have! Good luck with your new boy...

We got an older puppy (10 months old when we got him) and I'm loving not having to house break or go through the chewing stage! What a relief :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is what is so wonderful about a poodle.. the range of sizes...one breed fits all.... I groom my own poodle....her first few cuts were...odd.:eyebrows:..but getting better each time....and I agree..get the comb...they do better for sure when you use a comb....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
WELCOME!! What a gorgeous boy you got there! I bet your daughter is in seventh Heaven!!! Look forward to watching this gorgeous young boy growing up. :) :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Beau is very handsome! I noticed that you are from Southern CA, and was wondering what breeder you got your mini from? My mom is looking into getting a mini/toy poodle, and I rarely find any good toy/mini breeders in southern CA

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you talked to Janice Teller-West? I got a mini from her ages ago that lived to be 2 months short of 20 years old and he was PERFECT. He actually was a Champion already and was raised with Standards so he had more of a Standard temperament. I can put you in touch if you'd like.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have you talked to Janice Teller-West? I got a mini from her ages ago that lived to be 2 months short of 20 years old and he was PERFECT. He actually was a Champion already and was raised with Standards so he had more of a Standard temperament. I can put you in touch if you'd like.
I haven't checked out Janice Teller-West..just tried to look for a website but could not find one. Does she have toys, too? My mom is leaning towards a toy, preferably red. Trying to fancy the idea of minis to her, but she doesn't want a dog more than 10 lbs...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Janice

I haven't checked out Janice Teller-West..just tried to look for a website but could not find one. Does she have toys, too? My mom is leaning towards a toy, preferably red. Trying to fancy the idea of minis to her, but she doesn't want a dog more than 10 lbs...
No, she doesn't have Toys - sorry,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts