Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the temprements like on standard compared to mins and toys..

i find todd who is a min is happy to meet new people and is not really worried about anything

i also noticed with my toy poodles i groom they are really one person dogs they like there person and will stick with them

do you guys notice that about toys?

·
Registered
562 Posts
My Standard is that way....im his momma and he knows it so he stick by me always. His temperment is a big goof ball. He is a clown in a Spoo body. He greets people by bouncing around and licking/ nibbling on their hands. He is a nerd lol.
I personally have never had a toy or mini but would imagine they are close temperment wise to a standard....meaning friendly and outgoing but still lvoe their one person. It is all in the training too though. A pooch should be socialized as a youngster or you notice it when they are older.

·
Registered
918 Posts
So far I've found Jasper's (4 months) temperament to be comparable to my Toy's. Similar quirks, good traits, bad traits. All of those things are more noticeable in the Standard, of course, since they come in a bigger package LOL.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Toys are quick to sound the alarm for noises that aren't just outside of their house whereas standards are not. I've been told that toys and minis are busy in the house and my standards really are not. Standards obviously have different exercise requirements but there are some that are just big couch potatoes. I find that the standards are really sporty. I don't know if this is true for all poodles or whatever but mine always have noses to the ground trying to sniff stuff out like sporting breed dogs. They are full of energy at times and full grown are protective of their family and house. They are extremely intelligent and train easily. That's all biased from a standard owner's POV.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have them in all sizes and have had all sizes for many years. Standards can be quite protective of their yard and sound an alarm just as much as any toy or mini. Generally my "Little kids" can be active in the house. However, with Standards in the house too they tend to be reserved only when they know the standards are out playing and they are alone to play without being jumped by a standard. I've had toys, minis and standards quite and reserved. I've had very yappy toys and minis. You'd think I had more dogs when the mail man or UPS/FedEx man come. Sounds like a pack of Coyotes! The standards will howl till they are out of site. It really depends on the temperment of the parents and the atmosphere they grow up in. I have one standard and one mini that love watching TV so they tend to bark more at the TV. Other then that most of the time they are quite and well mannered.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't know if this is true for all poodles or whatever but mine always have noses to the ground trying to sniff stuff out like sporting breed dogs.
That would be more like a Hound :madgrin:

Depends on the dog really. I have a Toy and a Standard. My Mom has a Miniature/Oversize Toy. They are all fun loving and bark at the cats/deer/squirrels and my two (the Standard and Toy) are My dogs, they follow me from room to room and sleep with me. My Moms Mini is hers, he gets super excited when she comes home and sleeps on her bed at night. We all live in the same house.

I would say there is not a huge difference in temperament.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So for the most part you don't find the little ones to be barkier? I always thought they were, but maybe I'm lumping the smaller poodles in with other small breeds.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have 3 Spoos.

The apricot female is just our dog she loves us and does anything for us. She is not aggressive or anything like that but she will greet strangers but then that is done and she just goes on with her business. If she see's another dog or cat she does not even give it a look.
She is very smart and learns new tricks in just 5 min. She barks when visitors come.

Our black male is very easy going he loves everyone. He is a therapy dog. He never makes a move that he has not thought threw. except when he see's cats or other dogs. Then he gets excited and try to greet them or chase them.
He is not big on doing tricks for treats.
He is an excellent show dog and just loves to run around showing himself off.
He protects the yard and barks when someone is getting to close.

And third is our little black 7 month old female.
At the moment she is a very happy dog and loves to play with everyone.
She is really good with learning new things and when she is loose she comes as soon as she is called though Charly is running off after a bird or something she always comes.
She does not bark.
They are all so different and I love them all :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
So for the most part you don't find the little ones to be barkier? I always thought they were, but maybe I'm lumping the smaller poodles in with other small breeds.
Nope. Cher (the toy) barks less then Tuesday (the standard). Tues LOVES to bark at the critters. Cher will bark, then look around, bark, look around. Tuesday will just bark, bark, bark. Jack (the Mini) has this high pitched scream thing he does when excited lol but he is the least of the barkers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have had 2 toys, both completely different. Raci was mine alone. She would nip at my husband if he got too close to me. After she passed I got Reece. While she is more my dog, it's not like it was with Raci. She loves her daddy and is happy to greet everyone in my shop. Both total couch potatoes at home.

My mini is like Reece. He is happy anywhere, but more active. If there are toys around he's playing with them.

My standard girl is a complete lazy dog. She really wants to be on the couch. She will greet people and go back and lay down. One of my clients came to get her for a play date with her spoo. She didn't want to come home. She kept trying to get back in her car. She lived the first part of her life with an older couple and I think she relates to that. My client wants her and I have to be honest. If her husband would let her take her I would let her go. She was so happy.

I groom two other standards, the above mentioned included. Silas is a big male, total goof. He is wonderful on the table. It's play time when he comes in. Marie, mentioned above, is a little dog trapped in a big dogs body. Her mom carries her like a baby on her hip. :wacko::)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
That would be more like a Hound :madgrin:

Depends on the dog really. I have a Toy and a Standard. My Mom has a Miniature/Oversize Toy. They are all fun loving and bark at the cats/deer/squirrels and my two (the Standard and Toy) are My dogs, they follow me from room to room and sleep with me. My Moms Mini is hers, he gets super excited when she comes home and sleeps on her bed at night. We all live in the same house.

I would say there is not a huge difference in temperament.
I guess but dogs that flush out fowl have noses to the ground right?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My standard are very intelligent . Very protective with out being aggressive.. Very strong hunting/prey drive . They are not for everyone ..:) Dont try and break in :)
They need discipline and structure IMHO this is what a standard should be . they love puzzle toys so we always have lots around Hide a bee.... Hide a squirrel.. They are very intense....
My mini saved my life from a dog attack and almost died doing so . he was a mighty might . I adored him ..

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Mitch is happy to meet new people and dogs, but he's not exuberant like a lab...unless its someone he LOVES...in which case he will wag his tail like no tomorrow and rub his body against you and occasionally launch himself straight into the air to meet you eye level (he's not supposed to do that though).
He's not protective at all I find...he might bark if Matrix does, but otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd let a stranger walk in the door with no trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts