Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether it's a few sentences, a few paragraphs, or more, I'd love to hear your poodle stories.

The moment you met...
A funny thing that happened the other day...
Tear-jerkers, heart-warmers, whatever you've got. Just tell me a story. :)

The other day, we had two men here working on the gardens beside our backyard gate. They were working up quite a sweat, transplanting a well-rooted rhododendron, while Peggy watched from the window.

I let her outside and she raced to the fence for a closer look. Tail wagging, she tolerated the briefest of pets before spinning away into a series of excited poodley leaps. The men laughed. They were enjoying their poodle break.

They laughed even harder when Peggy returned a moment later with something in her mouth. What have you brought them, Peggy?

She tossed a well-worn gardening glove at the fence.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
What a clever girl!

Lily's gotcha day. We drove about 20 minutes to her breeder's home (how lucky was I to find her so close). We took a crate to keep her safe for the 20 minute ride home. Well she hated that crated and cried the whole time. She also pooped and smeared it all over the crate and herself. My first chance to bond with her was giving her a poop scrubbing bath in the bathroom sink since she was so small. I wrapped her in a towel and we connected the instant she relaxed enough after her ordeal to look at me. That was it for me. I loved her instantly!

Javelin's gotcha day. We drove to Connecticut from Long Island via ferry. Unfortunately our trip home was delayed by a minor league baseball game in Bridgeport that was causing heavy traffic near the ferry terminal. We missed the boat we had reserved for but easily made it onto an extra summer traffic boat. I took Javelin with me (carrying him of course) up to the main passenger deck to get our loading/unloading ticket. He was looking over my shoulder as I went up the stairs. When we got near the top I hear a wonderful baritone voice say to me something along the lines of "that's a very beautiful poodle puppy." We got out of the stairwell and I turned around to say thank you after which the man asked if he was a Delana puppy. His response was that he was thrilled to meet a member of the Madela family and he told me all about his Madela poodles. I sat with him and his partner for a little while and we passed that baby dog around. So he had his first big chance at meeting strangers all because we missed a ferry.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
When Misha was a little puppy my boyfriend was sitting on the couch and he farted and Misha got this weird look on his face and started sniffing, sniffed his way to bf's butt, and started furiously digging like he was trying to get under him to reach the fart.

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
Great idea, PtP!

Misha got this weird look on his face and started sniffing, sniffed his way to bf's butt, and started furiously digging like he was trying to get under him to reach the fart.
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Misha was intrigued and had to find it! 😂

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Raindrops your story almost made me blow soda out my nose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ll share my boys adoption story! Found him on Petfinder, I live in New Jersey and he was up for adoption in Canada. He was in a high kill shelter in Montreal, a group of volunteers periodically would go and get some of the dogs out to be rescued and bring them to Ontario. He traveled 12 hours with them, and I drove about 8 hours to Whitby Ontario to pick him up. My father took the trip with me because my husband had to go away for work that weekend. When we got him back to the hotel he spent the whole night going to each bed corner frantically humping the comforter. I just remember sitting there wondering what I just got myself into! The next day home we drove to New Jersey! I lost him recently at 14 1/2 years old. I still have his petfinder printout, the hotel receipt, etc., it kind of helps having them to look at. Loved him with all my heart💙

·
Premium Member
9,816 Posts
Among the honest adjectives his breeder applied to Buck was “clean”. There are others with their own stories... (Spoiler Alert: “stubborn” is a novel.) We have about 4 acres, so this is where we walk, train and exercise. Buck cannot abide any of his own poop left uncollected on the grass. He will point out any excretions, I have missed in the dark or the rain. “Show me” is actually a command and he takes it very seriously. He has standards:)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Among the honest adjectives his breeder applied to Buck was “clean”. There are others with their own stories... (Spoiler Alert: “stubborn” is a novel.) We have about 4 acres, so this is where we walk, train and exercise. Buck cannot abide any of his own poop left uncollected on the grass. He will point out any excretions, I have missed in the dark or the rain. “Show me” is actually a command and he takes it very seriously. He has standards:)
Misha hates waiting for me to pick up his poop. He seems embarrassed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is a story of Enzo's favorite pastime, seeking out dead animals and consuming them. I was walking Enzo on a stretch of sidewalk and not really paying attention to my surroundings when Enzo veers off the sidewalk onto the road. Uh oh, that's never a good sign. I turn my head, and see the little gremlin grabbing a flattened snake off the ground. This was the dark period before I had discovered Enzo's favorite treat of all time, Greenies, so no matter what treat I offered him, Enzo would turn his head away and continue smacking on tasty snake jerky. Gulp. Enzo smacked his lips in satisfactory of his delightful detour that had resulted in a scrumptious snack. I was horrified, but luckily passed through his system just fine.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hmmm.... Here's a story for you. I watch various versions of the ongoing season of it every night.

Trixie the Twerp and Annie the Adorable: A Really Mundane Fairytale

Once upon a time, a beautiful standard poodle named Annie the Adorable was peacefully chewing a plush ball on the dog bed. Annie liked to spend her evening lazily and quietly mouthing her favourite toys.... But it was not to be.

Suddenly, Trixie the Twerp appeared out of nowhere, settling on to the dog bed beside Annie the Adorable. Trixie eyed the ball discreetly, trying to hide her devious intentions, and making eyes at the human, asking her to play too... Annie was unfooled - but her foe was patient.

In a moment of distraction, Annie lifted her nose from the ball for just one second, and Trixie the Terrible pounced and stole it!

Luckily,Annie was a wise and patient dog, long accustomed to these games. She merely waited, and Trixie lost interest in the toy, as Trixie only likes toys that other dogs want ...

The human noticed the toy was out of Trixie's mouth, swooped, and grabbed the ball, intending to remove it. The human wished to protect her eardrums from the piercing sounds of Annie's barking if the keep away game began in earnest. But the human was too slow.
Game on! The dogs said, as both grabbed an end as the human lifted it, and a fierce, brave struggle ensued.

Devious Trixie won, cheating with her illegal shaking method, and poor, sad Annie lost control of the toy again to her pint sized foe

But Annie was wise and patient, and the human walked away and didn't interfere. Trixie the Twerp slowly lost interest - and seizing the moment, Annie pounced!

Unfortunately, Trixie was undeterred and growing bold from her previous successes. She pounced and grabbed for it again, and a fierce struggle arose.

IMG_20201028_182357243.jpg

Adorable, but not particularly talented at tug, Annie could not prevail against the cunning strategy of the (small but) Mighty Menace, and Trixie prevailed again.

Annie looked desolately at her human, who found the other plush ball, Annie's favourite, and handed it to Annie.

And peace fell upon the kingdom... At least for another 5 min.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All the fart comments had me seriously laughing out loud!!!🤣
I will share our Gotcha story.
It was a freezing cold February day. We were in the middle of a nasty cold spell...Think 20 below zero plus wind out in the country. What were we thinking? But we were scheduled to pick up our pup and looking forward to this great day. So we just bundled up put warm blankets in the little crate and forged into the cold.

We were greeted at the door by 2 sweet and quite polite poodles, momma poodle and grandpa poodle who ever so politely got on the couch and snuggled by us. We also got to meet papa later in our visit.
All was good.

I won’t go into all the details of discussions, observations, etc.
The story to share is how when I first picked up Bobby it was immediate bonding. He just stared into my eyes. I will never forget it. He from day one, has been a high eye contact dog.

After going outside, meeting the horses on the farm to which Bobby had no fear, as my husband held him for a quick sniff, and then an hour trip home, Bobby arrived at his new home. His car ride was uneventful and ever since he was a little guy he has loved car rides. We are so lucky this way. When we got home we let him in the yard for a quick pee...it was quite cold so quick was quick!

The best part of this story is how he seriously learned “sit” immediately. I think after 3 times he sat when asked. When we brought him in he sat and just stared at us and his little tail wagged. It was a sweet bonding experience. He was ours and we were his from day one!
P. S. He loves snow and is fearless of the cold. He is a cold weather dog!

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
Poppy's Gotcha story...

I had planned for a second pup when Sophy would be 18 months old, and had actually started conversations with several breeders, but when she was about 9 months it became very clear that she needed a dog to play with now, and that none of the dogs we knew were the right size or age. Browsing the internet as you do, marvelling at all the naff photos of badly bred and badly groomed pups, there was one little face that kept jumping out at me, so pretty, so beautifully groomed, so perfectly poodle... I kept telling myself that I couldn't buy a pup from an internet listing site, not even a fairly reputable one; that the pup would be nearly 12 weeks old and would certainly have been reserved; that it would all be a scam - and then sneaking back for another look. In the end I decided to phone just in case, and found myself having long conversations with a well-known show breeder with a long history in the UK poodle world and an excellent reputation.

I arranged to visit, staying overnight with my sister on the way and leaving Sophy with her. It was a pig of a journey, cross country and North to South, and the kennels were right out in the countryside in a maze of little lanes - and I had no SatNav. I spent several hours talking dogs, meeting Poppy and her parents, and generally getting to know her, until we were all agreed that she was the right dog for me and I the right human for her. At which point I pulled out my cheque book, and discovered they didn't take cheques, but had somehow forgotten to tell me of it. Way before instant transfers were the norm, and I really did not fancy doing the journey twice, so I set off to pull as much cash as I could from ATMs.

The first refused my card - that particular bank was renowned for their machines running out of money. I tried further afield, circling around and trying one small village after another until I found another, and by taking out the maximum cash allowed on all my cards just got enough. Then I had to retrace my journey in the gathering dusk - did I mention no SatNav?!

By the time I got back to the breeder's I was more than slightly frazzled, but we completed all the paperwork and they carefully snuggled Poppy into the crate I had put into the back of my car, then I set off back, deciding to go the longer way round by the motorway as being easier. Except that there were roadworks and accidents and lanes blocked and it took forever. After an hour or two I began to wonder if there really was a puppy in the car, or if I had been slipped a soft toy ringer, she was so quiet. Fortunately a little wriggle and murmur reassured me before I pulled over to check.

We got back to my sister's some time after midnight, and the rest is history. Sophy was thrilled with her new sister and Poppy was delighted to have another dog to follow. They grew up together very happily and it is hard to imagine life without her. And she still gazes at me with the same sweet expression that caught me all those years ago.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts