Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

Super Moderator
Killa and Tekno
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to popular demand 馃槄 I will be posting training and trialing tidbits here of Mr. TeknoPOP!

As of today we are training for/competing in:
AKC Obedience
NACSW and AKC Nosework/Scentwork
NASDA Trailing and Locating

Sports for funsies (for now :) )
Agility
Barnhunt

Super Moderator
Killa and Tekno
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heads up heeling has been a stick in our side for a while so this year one of our resolutions is being able to do it for at least 30 seconds with good engagement and focal point. Ill be less of a stickler for position when we can do the other two well :)

The little yellow tennis ball in session is for reinforcing his focal point. I drop it at random for him to catch in his mouth so he is HYPE about moving with me 馃榿
Joint Fashion Standing Thigh Flooring

Green Thigh Leisure Knee Flooring

Vertebrate Flooring Leisure Fun Fashion design

Joint Luggage and bags Flooring Leisure Fashion design

Super Moderator
Killa and Tekno
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here鈥檚 baby boy hunting rats (in dog proof boxes :) ) at a NASDA mock trial. We鈥檒l be going to a real one next week. He stayed perfectly focused even with a pretty Daschund girl in heat playing the rat games with us :)
Dog Sky Plant Dog breed Water dog

Plant People in nature Shorts Happy Grass

Plant community Plant People in nature Grass Groundcover

Dog Dog breed Sky Carnivore Gesture

Premium Member
Having a clear focal point for heeling is an excellent way to get it to be habitual. Heads up is so different for tall vs. small dogs. we've got to be creative. If I left my hand down for Javelin I would be knocking him in the face all the time, but that is a perfect focal point for TechnoPOP! It looks like is a super happy worker and team mate.

Registered
He looks fabulous.

I agree with Catherine about the focal point for heeling. In one of my classes with mostly very advanced including AKC judges, we were tasked with watching each other and determining what the dogs were focusing on - and what did the handler think they were focused on. The answers were surprising - and some of these dogs have their AKC UD. Someone thought their GSD was looking at their face when it was looking at her bosom.

My Babykins was focused on my leg around my knee where I had always treated her - I could hold my hand down in a relaxed position or up at my waist (two positions allowed in AKC). My Theo is focused on my hand - I have to hold my hand in a slightly weird position on my waist to keep him in position - he's a forger. I mention this because you should think about what is his focal point and how will you hold your hand in competition.

Super Moderator
Killa and Tekno
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He looks fabulous.

I agree with Catherine about the focal point for heeling. In one of my classes with mostly very advanced including AKC judges, we were tasked with watching each other and determining what the dogs were focusing on - and what did the handler think they were focused on. The answers were surprising - and some of these dogs have their AKC UD. Someone thought their GSD was looking at their face when it was looking at her bosom.

My Babykins was focused on my leg around my knee where I had always treated her - I could hold my hand down in a relaxed position or up at my waist (two positions allowed in AKC). My Theo is focused on my hand - I have to hold my hand in a slightly weird position on my waist to keep him in position - he's a forger. I mention this because you should think about what is his focal point and how will you hold your hand in competition.
Yes, the focal point is my hand, specifically the inside around my thumb and switches to my shoulder sometimes. I probably would swing naturally during competition but its possible that once he understands the focal point where my hand usually is, that I could move it to my stomach to cue focus. At first I mistakenly taught it as my face but he wrapped tightly around my leg and looked up like a little snake lol

Premium Member
You are right that using your face as a focal point doesn't work for small dogs. They will wrap to make eye contact. Some big dogs even will tend to wrap.

Super Moderator
Killa and Tekno
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You train at J9s K9s?! Janine helped me with my Maltese when I lived in LA! You and I think alike, Phaz! Anyway, looks like you and Tekno are having a blast :D
Hehe yes Janine is awesome (!) and I love that I can rent out the building weekly.

Super Moderator
Killa and Tekno
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Baby boy did great yesterday at his first NASDA Trial. 3 Q鈥檚 in Urban locating, 1 Q in Trailing, 4 best of breed (naturally because he was the only toy 馃槀 but not the only poodle 馃グ). We had a great time, I like the NASDA vibe and the courses are nice and challenging, great confidence builder for the lil guy.
Hair Smile Sky Facial expression People in nature

Registered
Wow,what a fantastic start for team Tekno. Huge congratulations.

Reactions: Phaz23

Premium Member
Nice loot to recognize all your hard work.

• Love
Reactions: Phaz23
1 - 20 of 80 Posts